+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Simpsons

JR.
    I think the obvious one would be Smithers.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by JR.
    I think the obvious one would be Smithers.

Gasp! Wha? Smithers? Gay?

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion, Archery Champion Maveno's Avatar
    I can't quote or include a hyperlink to any article about it, but last night I heard on the television (I wasn't watching, only listening) that they are killing Homer Simpson. They are going to be 'offing' him and sending him to Heaven (no idea how he's killed). Apparently he argues with God, and something about him being sent back down to earth for something. I am not totally clear on ALL of the information, but that's what I heard.

I AM totally clear that they said Homer was going to be killed off.

Looks to be the beginning of the end IMO.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

eny
    FORT Fogey
    I read that too, but the article I was reading went on to say he is sent back God or whomever can't stand Homer around .

I drove by Shelbyville, KY for business today and yesterday and this question popped in my head:

What state are the Simpsons from? My latest thought is Illinois. A show I saw recently had them going to 'Capital City' and they had a place like the Magnificent Mile in Chicago. But. . .

These states have a Springfield (their hometown):
    1. Illinois 2. Ohio 3. Missouri 4. Oregon 5. Massachusetts 6. Georgia 7. Virginia 8. Kentucky 9. Michigan 10. Minnesota

These states have a Shelbyville (the neighboring town):
    1. Illinois 2. Missouri 3. Tennessee 4. Indiana 5. Michigan 6. Texas 7. Kentucky

THOUGHTS, anyone?

The broccoli must die!!! Canada Champ's Avatar
    I think they already said it was in Kentucky, in the 'Behind The Laughter' episode.

Quote Originally Posted by charity
    I drove by Shelbyville, KY for business today and yesterday and this question popped in my head:

What state are the Simpsons from? My latest thought is Illinois. A show I saw recently had them going to 'Capital City' and they had a place like the Magnificent Mile in Chicago. But. . .

These states have a Springfield (their hometown):
    1. Illinois 2. Ohio 3. Missouri 4. Oregon 5. Massachusetts 6. Georgia 7. Virginia 8. Kentucky 9. Michigan 10. Minnesota

These states have a Shelbyville (the neighboring town):
    1. Illinois 2. Missouri 3. Tennessee 4. Indiana 5. Michigan 6. Texas 7. Kentucky

THOUGHTS, anyone?
    Hi Charity. I think we are the only ones watching The Shield these days. Anyhoo, I think I have a decent answer, if not the definitive answer. (That is some good and interesting research you've done, by the way.)

I've read that The Simpson's is generally based on the life of creator Matt Groening. His dad's name was Homer, mom was Marge, etc. Matt grew up in or near Springfield, Oregon, (which is somewhere near Portland, I think) so I have to think that is how he developed the idea for the Springfield that is on The Simpsons.

But, I believe that The Simpsons is set in a generic state. (They've gone out of their way not to name a state, and have made several in-jokes about that ambiguity on the show over the years.) Shelbyville is the generic rival town, and Capital City is just a generic big city. Springfield is a great name for their hometown, because so many states have a Springfield, and it is usually a smaller city with a bit of an inferiority complex, so a lot of people can relate to the Simpson's Springfield.

The first time I saw the "Behind the Laughter" episode (the one that was done like the VH1 "Behind the Music" shows), the narrator stated that the Simpsons lived in Springfield, Missouri. (I grew up near Springfield, MO and my family and I always made jokes about that, so it was funny to hear that.) I later saw a repeat of that episode, and it said they lived in Springfield, Kentucky. So I got the feeling that they made several versions - maybe one for each state with a Springfield - of that show just to have fun with it. Which goes back to it being just a generic city in a generic state.

Quote Originally Posted by Chach
    Hi Charity. I think we are the only ones watching The Shield these days.
    Yeah, people don't know what they're missing
    Quote Originally Posted by Chach
    The first time I saw the "Behind the Laughter" episode (the one that was done like the VH1 "Behind the Music" shows), the narrator stated that the Simpsons lived in Springfield, Missouri. . . I later saw a repeat of that episode, and it said they lived in Springfield, Kentucky. . .Which goes back to it being just a generic city in a generic state.
    I guess that's it then. Maybe they'll tell us where they REALLY are in the movie they are doing.

Another thing that would make it likely that the show is not set in a real state is that their state seems to be an amalgamation of many states. There's a gorge like the Grand Canyon, a desert, mountains, lakes, rivers, bridges, large dams, etc. The geography seems to be closest to that of a western state, I guess, but no city has all of that stuff so close to them. Springfield, Oregon might be the closest in that department, which would bring us back to being inspired by Groening's childhood.

I can't give a specific example right now, but there's also been a lot of conflicting information over the years about which state they're in - and which states they're not in. (Like if they travel to California, then that means they don't already live in CA.) If you add it all up, it wouldn't make any sense. I just think it's not supposed to be in any real state. That's part of the fun of the show.

I hope the movie is good, after such a long wait for them to make one!

ETA: I got curious and did some Googling and found a great Simpsons site with a looonnng article/discussion about what state Springfield is in. Haven't read it all, but the conclusion seems to be that it's in a fictional state. Here's a link:

http://www.snpp.com/guides/springfield.list.html
    Last edited by Chach; 06-14-2005 at 06:06 PM.

PS - I did some more Googling (I was still curious and wanted to get to the bottom of this). There are a couple of things of interest I found on another message board. I don't even remember the name of it, but it doesn't really matter, anyway.

1. Someone made a good point about the "Behind the Laughter" episode. It presented a fictionalized account of the (already obviously fictionalized) Simpson family, where the Simpsons are all actors and the "Simpsons" show was Homer's idea, etc. So any "facts" given in the context of that show weren't "real" anyway. Even if the show said they live in Southern Missouri or Northern Kentucky, it wasn't a "fact" beyond that particular parody show. Also, apparently there were only two versions of the show - one said Missouri and the other said Kentucky.

2. Someone stated that Matt Groening has said that he grew up watching "Father Knows Best" which apparently (I never really watched it) was based in a town called Springfield. Groening grew up believing it was Springfield, Oregon and was dissappointed to learn later that it was instead a generic Springfield - so the Springfield on The Simpsons is his way of having fun with that, paying tribute to one of his favorite shows, and making viewers think it is their Springfield. Which would also be part of the reason the geography and landmarks seem to include a cross section of the US in and around their little town. Viewers will see or hear something that will make them think it is their Springfield at some point.

I didn't see an interview online where Groening actually said this, so someone could have just made it up. It does make sense, though, and seems like something Groening would do. I was a big fan of his Life in Hell comic strip long before The Simpsons came along, so I feel like I know how the guy thinks - at least a little.

So the whole thing with the city/state being so ambiguous is part of a kind of in-joke tribute to classic TV, where cities are made up and are kind of an Anytown, USA.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast