+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sons & Daughters - ABC Primetime

Quote Originally Posted by MeLoveTV View Post
    I totally agree with you, although I have not seen Starved. What is that?

But as for the serious issues addressed in a comedic fashion, that's exactly what it is- family dysfunction is oh so real, and I am sure many of us can attest to that. So to take it and spin it in a funny way is unusual and interesting.

I am excited for tonight's episdoe- havent' seen too many commericals this time around so I am anxious to see how it turns out.
    Starved was a comedy done in that serious quirky tone with serious New York actors about the issues of a guy and his pals who all had various severe eating disorders. It was on one of those satellite channels. It was absolutely brilliant, but like the show that came on right after it, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, they only aired a few episodes and then the "season" (last summer?) and perhaps the entire run of the show was over.

As for Sons and Daughters, I don't know why they are cramming two new episodes back to back the first two weeks unless they are trying to run through the episodes they bought very quickly. I hope they don't just dump the episodes and then discard the show. I like it!

Did anyone think the teenage son might be the kid who played Frasier & Lilith's son on Frasier?
    Last edited by Harvest; 03-16-2006 at 01:33 PM.

FORT Newbie
    Starved sounds awesome, it's a shame I missed it. As for Frasier, I'm not so sure, but I wouldn't be surprised.

I didn't even think about that for Sons & Daughters- I just think I like it so much that by the time the first one ends, I'm still ready for more- so it's definitely worked out for me. Did you watch these last two weeks?

Finally got a chance to watch my taped episodes. I'll give it a . It's quirky enough to hold my attention, and the lack of a laugh track is a bonus.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

FORT Newbie
    Interesting- I didn't even notice that. But now that you say it, it sounds about right. Do any other shows do that? That's pretty cool..

Watching tonight?

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Qboots View Post
    I'll give it a .

It's quirky enough to hold my attention, and the lack of a laugh track is a bonus.
    I also like when a show has no laugh track, but Sons & Daughters doesn't generate any laughs whatsoever in my house, so all this dead silence is just killing us 'round here.

I feel compelled, therefore, to disagree with my esteemed colleague Qboots and I give this show a resounding .

Quote Originally Posted by MeLoveTV View Post
    Interesting- I didn't even notice that. But now that you say it, it sounds about right. Do any other shows do that?
    Just off the top of my head, I know these shows don't use a laugh track: Malcolm in the Middle, My Name is Earl, The Office, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Everybody Hates Chris, South Park, new shows Free Ride and The Loop, and the late lamented Arrested Development.

I'm getting to the point where laugh tracks offend me. As if I can't figure out when to laugh all on my own.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Cameron's wife looks a lot like Debra Messing but without the red hair. And I still see a strong resemblance to Steve Carrell when I look at Cameron. It's a little distracting every time I look at both of them.

The older sister gets on my nerves. And I can't stand Whitey. I would never allow an ex to hang around as much as he does, father to the child or not. I just don't think he's that funny and I hate any scenes that he's in.

I didn't watch the second episode yet but the show has its funny moments.

I'm getting to the point where laugh tracks offend me. As if I can't figure out when to laugh all on my own.
    Totally agree. I watched Julia Louis-Dreyfuss' new show last week (can't recall the name) and the laugh track just confused me. It has been really liberating to learn that I can indeed discern that which is amusing all by myself.

Oh yeah, love Sons & Daughters. Laughed out loud all by myself.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

FORT Newbie
    "I'm sorry to tell you.....that the muder has been coloneled!" Hahahaha. Loved it. I think I may have fallen off the couch laughing. After all of that practicing, he had like one line, that he messed up, then died. It was incredible. As was Carrie's face after it all happened. Other funny parts?

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan View Post
    Cameron's wife looks a lot like Debra Messing but without the red hair. And I still see a strong resemblance to Steve Carrell when I look at Cameron.
    I can see that...Liz is very pretty, I think.

Just off the top of my head, I know these shows don't use a laugh track: Malcolm in the Middle, My Name is Earl, The Office, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Everybody Hates Chris, South Park, new shows Free Ride and The Loop, and the late lamented Arrested Development.

I read a bad review of The Loop and didn't watch it (there is only so much time to devote to TV, even with Tivo!), but all the other shows you listed are top drawer. I think people who only watch those hour long crime dramas are really missing out on a lot of creative genius in these half hour comedies. You could add Bernie Mac to that list, btw.

In this week's 2 episodes of S&D, I liked that they featured Whitey more. He was probably the funniest thing in the episodes. We have liked that actor ever since his bit part in the genius movie Office Space. Glad he got this gig!

I agree with whoever said in their post the actress who plays Liz looks like Debra Messing. Did they cast her because her character is supposed to be Jewish and so is Messing's character Grace? Like you, I found it distracting. I kept mentally dying her hair red.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast