+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Dateline - "To Catch A Predator"

Cos the other parts would still be working. They're not sure which part controls things like sociopathy or sexual predation.

I saw this program on people who've had lobotomies (they used to do LOTS of them apparently for flimsy reasons back in the 1950s) and one guy had a past with violence and drugs afterward. The lobotomy had made him bitter, he said. It didn't mention rape at all, and by the taping he had turned his life around. But it did seem like it didn't cure violence.

His stepmother got him the lobotomy as an early teen, for things that wouldn't even get a teen an appearance on Montel today. She snuck him in there. His dad was against it. I mean I'm not an expert and can't say for sure but there's enough of a risk that I wouldn't say to rely on it.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    I missed tonight's episode but I had seen the previous episodes and I find it very fascinating that these men, of all ages, races, religions, employments, show up.....I can't imagine how embarrassed and humiliated these people's wives, children, employers, clergymen, parents, siblings must be to see this shown on national TV...Put yourself in their shoes....it makes me cringe to think of my brother or boyfriend or boss being caught like that. I would be interested to know how many of these men ended up divorced and without a job because of this being shown on TV.
    I think its an excellent idea to show this on TV and I applaude NBC and Dateline and the reporter (whose name escapes me at this moment) for a job well done.....
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Wow, until the last sentence I was afraid you might defend them... Yes it's embarrassing for them but just think if they had really gone through with it! For the child, I mean. Beyond embarrassment - lifelong devastation.

FORT Fogey
    If you're interested in learning more about this ongoing DATELINE series, click below:

Link to Dateline “TO CATCH A PREDATOR” site

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandy View Post
    Wow, until the last sentence I was afraid you might defend them... Yes it's embarrassing for them but just think if they had really gone through with it! For the child, I mean. Beyond embarrassment - lifelong devastation.
    Oh, I definitely was NOT going to defend them and I, by no means, was not meaning to disregard the possible victim in the situation...I was just focusing on the perpertrators family.
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by talula View Post
    I don't necessarily think they are crying and remorseful because of the guilt so much as the fact that they were planning to do something very wrong and illegal and it was going to air on national television where their family, friends and all of America was going to see it and know what kind of "men" they really are. I would venture to say that (for many of them, perhaps not all) their tears and remorse were that of embarrassment, shame and reputations/lives/careers about to be ruined.

Yes but I didn't say remorseful-I said guilty, which denotes that they took (internally anyway) responsibility and realized their actions were wrong. The only reason they felt remorse was because they got caught. But they did feel guilty; they knew it was wrong in every sense of the word but kept doing whatever made them "all worked up." I don't get how adults can even be attracted to a child. It's just sick. Think about your own kids-recall one of the men were asked that; "What if some guy was trying to have with your child." And all he could do was shake his sorry head. Pathetic, wasteful piece of existence. Oh, and imagine when the wives found out.
    I have learned that gifts don't always come wrapped and treasures aren't always buried.
    - Bob Perks

I am sure that the predetors family will have way more benefit knowing than not knowing. It is highly possible that someone in the family has been abused in the same way and could have a better voice concerning that abuse after the person has been found out on television. I would rather know i had cancer and be able to cut it out before it does me more harm than not know and let it take my life. In the same way, I would rather know my husband was a predetor and remove him from my household than let him ruin the lives of my children and their friends. I think all these predetors should be exposed and that the laws should be made much more stringent to protect the innocent and not the predetor.
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

I saw part of this and I could not believe that these guys would actually go to a house to have sex with these kids. I mean can't they smell setup, or does the allure of "young" holdthat much power over them. The excuses too, old old old : I never did this before, I came over here because I didn't want the kid to be alone, blah blah blah. lock em up or something. I mean wasn't there a doctor, a Rabbi, one was even a mayor or councilman too right? sick sick sick
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

FORT Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by gabriel View Post
    I saw part of this and I could not believe that these guys would actually go to a house to have sex with these kids. I mean can't they smell setup, or does the allure of "young" holdthat much power over them. The excuses too, old old old : I never did this before, I came over here because I didn't want the kid to be alone, blah blah blah. lock em up or something. I mean wasn't there a doctor, a Rabbi, one was even a mayor or councilman too right? sick sick sick
    My husband and I said the same thing- these guys seemed so *normal*. If you passed any one of them on the street, you wouldn't think SEX OFFENDER!. I don't understand though Gabriel, why the guys would smell a set up? This isn't a one time thing- this goes on and on in all neighborhoods, in all cities, everywhere! Why would they smell a set up when they all have probably done this before?
    We have made our kids watch this as well, and I must say I'm glad they talked about my space.
    It makes you wonder though- who are the kids that are doing this also? I realize this particular *kid* was a decoy, but if these men are doing this all of the time, where are the kids that are letting them?

I say shoot their penis off and let them bleed to death.
    We have no use for these filthy losers on our planet.
    I bet the outcome would be worldpeace after they are all gone.
    leave the gun...take the canolis - The Godfather

+ Reply to Thread