+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The CW network (was: The WB and UPN)

The CW network (was: The WB and UPN)

I didn't see any discussion of this MAJOR TV story around here:
    http://money.cnn.com/2006/01/24/news...rner/index.htm

This really IS what's called "holy cr@p" news. It will certainly affect the reality show market as much as the non-reality one, since I think this will lead to a decline in the number of spaces available for marginal or experimental reality shows. Shows like "Beauty and The Geek" could be a thing of the past (although it IS mentioned in the press release as an "asset"), although certainly "Top Model" is safe enough.
    Last edited by Krom; 01-24-2006 at 11:08 PM.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Veronica Mars better still be around! I don't want to have to fuzz all out!

That's the only show I watch from those channels.
    Always looking for cat treats!

Breathe out, so I can breathe you in...

Quote Originally Posted by suncat7 View Post
    Veronica Mars better still be around! I don't want to have to fuzz all out!

That's the only show I watch from those channels.
    Veronica was also mentioned in the press release as one of those "assets".

Plus, Veronica Mars is produced by... {drum roll please} Warner Brothers. The top executive of the CW will be Dawn Ostroff, from UPN, who was a HUGE Veronica booster, and because it will now be considered an "in house" produced show, Veronica Mars now has a much more survivable position.

To be honest, this new network can called called "The House that Dawn, Tyra, Veronica and Chris" built. UPN finally started to outstrip WB in both ratings and critical acclaim in the past season and a half, and that started to worry Warner Brothers I guess. Dawn Ostroff gave the network the first competent executive it ever had. Tyra Banks gave UPN it's first smash hit. Veronica Mars gave it its first real critical success (at least the first to outlast a season). Chris Rock gave it that final bit of magic they needed. And WB? Was reduced to relying on Smallville for ratings and Gilmore Girls for critical acclaim, and that's about it.

Plus Wraslin'. I can't believe the new joint network is going to continue to burn 2 hours out of a mere 13 hours of prime time on Wraslin'. But they are, because apparently people ARE watching, go figure.

I don't watch a lot on WB or UPN but I do like Supernatural and What I Like About You. I hope they make the cut.

My local concern is that my cable company will eliminate the unused channel and still charge me the same rate OR they will replace the other channel with some crap station that I would never watch.

According to that article Gilmore Girls will stay on.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan View Post
    I don't watch a lot on WB or UPN but I do like Supernatural and What I Like About You. I hope they make the cut..
    Before this merge even happened, there were heavy rumours that What I Like About You was getting axed. Maybe that will change now, but i really don't think so. I'm sorry.

I really hope they don't fudge with things too much. I quite like a lot of the programs they currently have on WB primetime. And as long as VM stays for UPN i'll be fine.

LG.
    I read somewhere that Everyone Hates Chris will definitely still be around, either on CW or maybe even moving to CBS (which owns part of CW or something like that).

Now, what are they going to do about markets like the Twin Cities that have both UPN and WB affiliate stations now? Make one a CW station and the other station will be ???
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

Quote Originally Posted by Krom View Post
    I didn't see any discussion of this MAJOR TV story around here:
    http://money.cnn.com/2006/01/24/news...rner/index.htm

This really IS what's called "holy cr@p" news. It will certainly affect the reality show market as much as the non-reality one, since I think this will lead to a decline in the number of spaces available for marginal or experimental reality shows. Shows like "Beauty and The Geek" could be a thing of the past (although it IS mentioned in the press release as an "asset"), although certainly "Top Model" is safe enough.
    It's being discussed in the Top Model forum, but mostly in context of that show. Believe me, ANTM fans noticed.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by LG. View Post
    I read somewhere that Everyone Hates Chris will definitely still be around, either on CW or maybe even moving to CBS (which owns part of CW or something like that).

Now, what are they going to do about markets like the Twin Cities that have both UPN and WB affiliate stations now? Make one a CW station and the other station will be ???
    I never thought about "Chris" going to CBS. But I don't think they'd cannibalize their chances at a good fall launch by doing so.

What keeping "Chris" does, is mainly ensure that at least one other half-hour sitcom survives, I think. That's all.

As for dual station cities... I imagine ideally this new venture would try and arrange the sale of them to independant entities. Legally they don't have to do this, since the new "network" isn't the same company as the ones who own the stations, but I'm sure they will try. Some will simply stop broadcasting a signal, I'll bet. Some could just simulcast what's on the other channel I suppose, in cases where they are off alternate transmitters (remember those? Airwaves!) Some could be given over the public broadcasting. Some might be made available to investors wanting to fund an independant channel. Who knows?

New York City--the biggest media market in the world--is one of those dual station cities. WWOR (UPN) and WPIX (The WB) are two VERY old, very well established channels, with histories that predate the networks which have most recently been on them by many many decades. WWOR appears to be the one who's fate is up for grabs.

The broccoli must die!!! Canada Champ's Avatar
    Yeah it's the same with Detroit, having both WB (20) and UPN (50). Interestingly enough, UPN 50 was created in December 1994 when Fox 50 decided to change channels over to Fox 2, which had just recently dropped CBS, so CBS had to find a new home, CBS 62. From 1995 until 1998 however, UPN 50 still aired Fox Kids tv shows every day, before becomming solely 'UPN' in 1998.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast