+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The CW network (was: The WB and UPN)

FORT Fogey
    WB used to have a lot of potential, but it lost all its top shows. 7th Heaven and Charmed are bound to follow in the footsteps of Dawson, Buffy, and Angel. This move makes a lot more sense than trying to release new shows, which just aren't working against the older networks for the most part (Supernatural aside).

Quote Originally Posted by Canada Champ View Post
    Yeah it's the same with Detroit, having both WB (20) and UPN (50). Interestingly enough, UPN 50 was created in December 1994 when Fox 50 decided to change channels over to Fox 2, which had just recently dropped CBS, so CBS had to find a new home, CBS 62. From 1995 until 1998 however, UPN 50 still aired Fox Kids tv shows every day, before becomming solely 'UPN' in 1998.
    In New York both of the stations in question are VHF station on top of that, not UHF. Even in this cable-centric age, VHF licenses are still inherently pretty valuable.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Good because it's a shame more people don't watch Veronica Mars. It is easily one of the top 5 shows on TV.

FORT Fogey
    From a reality TV perspective, hopefully this will have a positive impact, and we'll begin to see them try more (unfortunately, I fear it will be more in the vein of Fox). They'll already have a leg up on ABC. Even though I still watch The WB more than any other network by far, I've only drifted away from it as the other networks established reality franchises.

Of course, it depends on how they rearrange the schedule, but I get the gut feeling they're going to axe most of the Friday night shows (except Reba), 7th Heaven (confirmed, though I wonder whether they'd reconsider now), and Charmed. That added to TAR on Tuesday, Survivor on Thursday, and nothing on any network on Wednesday because of Lost, and I'm going to find it hard to support CW. I'll stick around for a couple shows, though.

Please powers that be, come up with a better name than CW! That name is so boring. I can't say to someone "hey, are you going to watch such and such on the CW tonight?" I mean come on, be more creative!

What I really wonder is why, with all these resources, they don't switch to the model of airing 3 hours of prime time programming per night, instead of 2. Do the local stations really have THAT much pull, that they HAVE to have their 10 o'clock news and their 11pm syndicated shows?

Then again, even FOX doesn't do this. More proof that even still, the big 3 will always be a bit different.

Oh my lord. Their website is up almost immediately after their "upfront" announcements. They're quick on the ball with an obnoxious promo video featuring integrated clips of their entire upcoming schedule. Veronica Mars, Clark Kent, The Camdens, Lorelei Gilmore, Tyra Banks, mini-Chris Rock, 'Raslers, and those dumbass One Tree Hill kids all sharing a promo. Eek!

And it's all very "green": http://www.cwtv.com/

I'm hoping that by VERONICA MARS being renewed (thank the Lord) and put on the CW it will gain a much larger following....it's a shame the first two seasons of that show were on Upn.....i think that if i was a better network who promoted their shows better, it'd be huge by now. O well, hopefully that will happen in the fall with the new CW! VMars is easily one of the best shows on TV. Anyone who hasn't watched it, watch the replays this summer. You'll be hooked, trust me.
    I wish you had a favourite beauty spot that you loved secretly/'Cos it was on a hidden bit that nobody else could see/Basically, I wish that you loved me/I wish that you needed me/I wish that you knew when I said two sugars, actually I meant three. - Kate Nash, "Nicest Thing"

So will CW stay on the same channel (11 here in Bridgewater, MA)? What about the station that used to house UPN? (14 here) How is this all gonna work?
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

Quote Originally Posted by nilesgirl View Post
    So will CW stay on the same channel (11 here in Bridgewater, MA)? What about the station that used to house UPN? (14 here) How is this all gonna work?
    If you go on the CW website ( www.cwtv.com ) it tells you which stations are going to air the CW.
    I wish you had a favourite beauty spot that you loved secretly/'Cos it was on a hidden bit that nobody else could see/Basically, I wish that you loved me/I wish that you needed me/I wish that you knew when I said two sugars, actually I meant three. - Kate Nash, "Nicest Thing"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast