+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Book of Daniel-NBC

The Book of Daniel-NBC

Anyone else catch this new mid-season show? Several stations have chosen not to show it, because they feel it's controversial. A (bad) semi-recap of the season premiere follows...

It's about a pill-popping Episcopal priest. Jesus talks to him. His wife drinks martinis all day, one son is gay (but not fully "out"), one son is adopted and having an intense relationship, and the daughter got caught selling (but not taking) drugs. The priest's father is a Bishop, who's stepping out with another Bishop (female) and the priest's mother (Bishop's wife) has Alzheimer's. The priest's brother-in-law ran off with over $3 million of the church's money (to build a new school) and the priest involves a Catholic priest (with mob ties) to recover the money.

That's just a BIT of what happened. I'll say this for it, it was certainly full of plot-lines. I'll watch it again, as I like the lead character, Aidan Quinn.

Apparently some Christians were up in arms about it, saying that the show wouldn't make it to the air if it were any other religion, and why did Christians have to be portrayed as such? As a Christian myself, I have no problem with the show, as I don't think anyone is perfect, and people of ALL religions (and the non-religious as well) have a variety of problems.
    Always looking for cat treats!

Breathe out, so I can breathe you in...

Well, it didn't offend me at all. But then, fiction rarely does. People really need to stop expecting TV shows to portray reality.

I enjoyed it, and will keep watching it - at least until some special interest group gets it yanked off the air. I thought it was pretty cool that the cast includes Ellen Burstyn, star of the movie "The Exorcist", and that Daniel's daughter Grace bears a striking resemblence to a young Linda Blair. *cue the eerie music*
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Qboots View Post
    Daniel's daughter Grace bears a striking resemblence to a young Linda Blair. *cue the eerie music*

EWWWW you're right she DOES!!! I kept thinking..."who is this girl reminding me of?" Eeeeek.

The only thing that really bothered me about the show...when the wife was in bed saying how she had all this free time now, and needed to "DO" something with herself. Hmm, how about doing your own HOUSEWORK where you don't need a HOUSEKEEPER?

I liked it too! I planned on watching it anyway, but as soon as there was all that cr@p from the Christian groups about how evil the show is, I made sure I watched! I hate it when people think they should be in charge of making viewing decisions for me. :nono

The only part I had a problem with is the father having the affair with the other priest. Yes, the clergy are human - we have a close family friend who is an Episcopal priest - but that just felt....icky to me. Even with the wife having Alzheimer's, it still felt wrong. I hope they explore that a little more and maybe give more background/justification for it.

All in all, I enjoyed the show. I thought the actors did a good job and the storylines were interesting. The three actors who play the kids all have really good chemistry. We'll see how the show develops... providing that the network doesn't cave in to pressure from those idiots

The thing with the priest and Jesus riffing on self-help/warm and fuzzy book titles was hilarious! Tuesdays with Jesus
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

OOH I forgot to mention, the adopted son....MEGA-cute! (I can't think of his name on there...Adam?)

The older son (Peter?) alluded to another son who had passed away, from leukemia (if I was hearing correctly..when he said he was going into cancer research, something like "I have to, he was my brother."???)

Critical..."Tuesday with Jesus" was a RIOT!

I DID get a bit of a rip-off vibe from this show with the pill-popping/Jesus appearing, as it's been done in FX's "Rescue Me" (except on there, Tommy {Denis Leary} drinks AND pops pills, and sees Jesus)

I watched it if only to spite those damn Christian "Right" zealots that think they should have absolute control over everyone's life (managed to get several stations to not broadcast the show. What, these people can't figure out how to change the channel to PAX?) But I will kick the soapbox to the curb rather than bore you with a diatribe and say that while the show has potential I would like to see them tighten it up a bit. Give us more character arc and less in-your-face shenanigans. Really not neccessary to throw in every cliche along with the kitchen sink to get your point across that this is one hell of a dysfunctional family, now make us care about why. And if any denomination has a right to be upset, I would think it would be those of us who are Episcopalians.
    QBoots~ I said the same thing to my husband about the Grace/Linda Blair/Ellen Burstyn/ resemblance!

Premium Member
    Well, this kind of stuff happens in all walks of life and no religious group is immune to these kinds of issues. I'm a Christian and I was not offended by it, and I don't think those who do have a problem with it are representative of the vast majority of us who are not zealots. I agree with you Qboots, we (I include myself in this group) need to loosen up our butt-cheeks, stop expecting fictional TV shows to portray reality and let ourselves simply be entertained.

Quote Originally Posted by suncat7 View Post
    OOH I forgot to mention, the adopted son....MEGA-cute! (I can't think of his name on there...Adam?)

The older son (Peter?) alluded to another son who had passed away, from leukemia (if I was hearing correctly..when he said he was going into cancer research, something like "I have to, he was my brother."???)

Critical..."Tuesday with Jesus" was a RIOT!

I DID get a bit of a rip-off vibe from this show with the pill-popping/Jesus appearing, as it's been done in FX's "Rescue Me" (except on there, Tommy {Denis Leary} drinks AND pops pills, and sees Jesus)
    This show is full of All My Children alumns. Both Christian Campbell (one son) and the one who plays the adopted son Adam were on AMC. Plus, the girl who plays Adam's girlfriend is currently on AMC. She, in particular, is really playing a different role since the character she plays on AMC has autism. It took me a few minutes to recognize her!

Sunny, I checked out the official site for the show and I think the son who died was a twin.... that would explain why the surviving twin is feeling so lost.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Thanks Critical! I'll have to get over and read up on it at the official site!

I'm glad to see something I want to watch on Friday night!

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    Weeeeeeeee! I'm so stoked that some of my favorite peeps are digging this show as much as I am.

I stumbled onto it by accident last Friday night, and I must admit, I'm hooked. I'm looking forward to see how all the juicy drama unfolds.
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast