+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The Book of Daniel-NBC

When NBC was first advertising "Book of Daniel," they said that this was going to be the edgy, must-see type of show that would bring the network back in the running. Did TIIC at NBC not get the memo that says that networks that cave in to the whining rants of the religious right-wing pinheads generally do not succeed in the "edgy, must-see" department?

I'm hoping that FX picks up "Book of Daniel."
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    I like this show too, and frankly don't think it's that "edgy". In fact, I thought the last episode was a tad preachy, and if it had been like that in the first couple of episodes, I'd have given up on the show. Because the characters have built up a little capital with me, I'll let them go for now. But I get what you're saying, Ellen--it's not as though anyone hid the premise of the show from NBC when the marketing came up. Maybe the ratings did decline, but given the about-face they did with the Britney Spears on Will & Grace change after some negative press by the christian right, I'm more inclined to believe it was cancelled not due to ratings at all.

I do appreciate being able to see the shows on nbc.com, but they show up so damn dark on the little image. This may sound stupid, but has anyone figured out a way to make the pick bigger? I've fooled with my monitor controls to lighten up the video feed, but there are some scenes (like the attack in the streets of NYC) that were nearly completely dark.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl View Post
    I do appreciate being able to see the shows on nbc.com...
    Unfortunately, with my dinosaur (funny that after 4 or 5 years it's already a dinosaur!) of a Mac, I can't watch the remaining episodes on nbc.com. ::sigh!:: I was really hoping to see the backstory regarding the dead twin son and the beginning of Daniel's love affair with Vico ... uhhh ... I mean, "Canadian headache pills."

So, yeah, I'm hoping (though not holding my breath) that the show will be picked up by FX or HBO or Showtime where it would have the chance to become edgy.

That show IS darker than dark on their website. I found myself getting closer and closer to it (which didn't help )

I'd really love to see FX pick it up as well. (but then they'd have TWO shows where Jesus visits people...this one and "Rescue Me")

Just a goofy thing I noticed when watching this past episode online....one of the cops that was questioning Adam is the same guy who plays Kenny "Lou" on "Rescue Me".
    Always looking for cat treats!

Breathe out, so I can breathe you in...

Quote Originally Posted by suncat7 View Post
    I'd really love to see FX pick it up as well. (but then they'd have TWO shows where Jesus visits people...this one and "Rescue Me")
    Ooh, yeah -- good point. Then the religious right-wingers would start complaining about Jesus being portrayed as a media whore.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    Ooh, yeah -- good point. Then the religious right-wingers would start complaining about Jesus being portrayed as a media whore.
    Ellen, your post made my day....too funny!

Anybody know how many more eps there are to be aired?

I do hope they put the show on DVD--though I've got highspeed and the feed is fine, they're so dark I feel like I'm missing something.

I think I read somewhere that 8 were filmed, and I honestly have no idea how many I've seen now. Maybe 4? (two on air, two online?)

Quote Originally Posted by suncat7 View Post
    I think I read somewhere that 8 were filmed, and I honestly have no idea how many I've seen now. Maybe 4? (two on air, two online?)
    According to TV.com, 4 episodes aired out of 8. The premiere on Jan. 6 was 2 episodes, then one on Jan. 13 and one on Jan. 20.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Tonight's online episode wasn't nearly as hard to see. And the episode was really really, GOOD.

I will truly miss this show. It really gave a funny side to life in the church and all the fallocies that priests have. Priests are real people too.

I know it kinda split the Episcopal Church in half, but as as Episcopalian, I found it funny and refreshing. I honestly never saw the huge deal.

So long Daniel.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345