+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Book of Daniel-NBC

I really enjoy this show... and to this day I do not understand the zealots that come out and carry on like idiots over a TV Show. As if they are above it all...

It is, as if, all the zealots seem to have forgotten about the scandal that surround church life in general.

From the Catholic Church and the lawsuits that they are still settling.. to Jim Baker & a few of his boys going to prison in the late 1980's, then there is Robert Tilton that scammed untold millons from this church and is back at it on TV begging for dollars again! and of course who could forget Jimmy Swaggart weekly trips to the Motel 8 with his hookers in the early 1990's... its obvious that there are alot issue's surrounding the church world in general.

I could keep on naming the local church scandal's that have went on in the Dallas area for the last 2 years that make this TV show look tame.

I did read that there are only 4 more "Daniel" shows that will air. It was a 6 episode run to see if there was enough ratings interest to be a show for next fall.

FORT Anomaly
    I put it on tivo just because I love the cast. Ellen Burstyn (one of my favorite actresses of all time), Christian Campbell (who looks far too much like his sister, Neve), Aidan Quinn... and then Susanna Thompson... I was a huge fan of Once and Again, and I'm happy to see some alums of that show go on to other projects.

So yeah, I tuned in for the cast, but I stayed for the banter.

Quote Originally Posted by whitsun9 View Post
    I put it on tivo just because I love the cast. Ellen Burstyn (one of my favorite actresses of all time), Christian Campbell (who looks far too much like his sister, Neve), Aidan Quinn... and then Susanna Thompson... I was a huge fan of Once and Again, and I'm happy to see some alums of that show go on to other projects.

So yeah, I tuned in for the cast, but I stayed for the banter.
    I was a fan of Once and Again too, so I'm always happy to see any of the cast members on TV or in film. Marin Hinkle (who played Sela's sister on O&A) was on the first episode of inJustice last week. So many of that show's alums are working right now: Sela is on House, Susanna is now on this show, Patrick Dempsey is Dr. McDreamy, Shane West is on er.... I saw something about a play that Jeffrey Nordling (he played Sela's ex) is doing in LA, Evan Rachel Wood is blowing up in movies. I know Julia Whelan (who played Grace) is in college now, so I don't know if she's really looking for acting work.

I agree, Christian looks a lot like Neve. He looked even more like her when he was on AMC and his hair was short

This show has got a really great cast. Ellen Burstyn is one of my favorites too!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

You mean I should have watched this show?
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Next weeks TV guide has an article about this show and the religious group that wants it off the air. The founder is quoted as saying "none of theChristians he knows don't behave/ have problems like the characters on the show do". Oh, please I hate this holier than thou attitude that is what puts peoples backs up.
    According this founder, no Christian would ever abuse prescription drugs, no Christian would embezzle money from a church school fund, no Christian would ever sell drugs, no Christian would ever drink too much. I think this founder has much in common with an ostrich and with a certain river in Eqypt, in other words take his head is stuck in the sand and he is in De Nile. If nothing else he has given this show a lot of free publicity.

It made me laugh when a conservative religious group was complaining about the drug use and his giving some to the bishop. It sounded to me like he was taking Tylenol with codeine
    Reality leaves a lot to the imagination. ~John Lennon

Write for HubPages.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearcata View Post
    Next weeks TV guide has an article about this show and the religious group that wants it off the air. The founder is quoted as saying "none of theChristians he knows don't behave/ have problems like the characters on the show do". Oh, please I hate this holier than thou attitude that is what puts peoples backs up.
    According this founder, no Christian would ever abuse prescription drugs, no Christian would embezzle money from a church school fund, no Christian would ever sell drugs, no Christian would ever drink too much. I think this founder has much in common with an ostrich and with a certain river in Eqypt, in other words take his head is stuck in the sand and he is in De Nile. If nothing else he has given this show a lot of free publicity.
    Guess this clown simply does not believe that no one knows what goes on behind closed doors, does he? And why would they tell him when they know how judgmental he obviously is??

And the good Reverend was popping Vicodin like candy at the start of the show. He got more med from his son at the hospital after he was injured. The kid said he wouldn't be taking it, so dad pocketed it.

Only 4 episodes? I can't imagine. This is a definite keeper to me. I couldn't understand what all of the chatter was about once I saw it. Actually, I didn't know what to expect, but I was not disappointed!

Not only are there issues with drug and alcohol abuse, infidelity, gay issues, and embezzlement, but racism has also reared its ugly head. Only 4, huh?????
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I wanted to like this show, but there was too much going on and it lost my attention. I love Aidan Quinn and was hoping I would like this show.

I just wish that people would remind these idiots that are trying to ban shows that that is the reason Showgirls was such a big hit. If they had shut up and just not gone to the movie it would have died a quiet death.

Same with this show. If enough people don't watch it, it will go away. If they do, there is this little invention called the remote control. You can use it to change the channel and you don't have to be subjected to something that offends you. Oh, wait, that makes sense. Heaven forbid we should be allowed to think for ourselves.

I liked tonight's show. I liked the controlling horrible grandmother storyline, because I have one just like that. (and WHO has been spying on my grandmother to be writing that script?...don't let her catch you...eek!)

I feel it's an interesting show, and fast-paced. I'd take this over another franchise of Law & Order: County Jail or whatever any day. In a sea of laywer/cop/murder shows, I find it very fresh.
    Always looking for cat treats!

Breathe out, so I can breathe you in...

Quote Originally Posted by suncat7 View Post
    I feel it's an interesting show, and fast-paced. I'd take this over another franchise of Law & Order: County Jail or whatever any day. In a sea of laywer/cop/murder shows, I find it very fresh.
    I also like how fast pace this show moves... and that it gets alot of ground cover in an hour. For what is basically a night time soap... it is a really well written show. That makes me laugh out loud. I like this show as much as I do Grey's. Plus I need a new show to watch since I stopped watching Desperate Housewives... which has gotten so painfully boring and slow.

I can not even begin to discuss how dang bored I am with all the CSI.. L&O...Court TV in general type of shows. I need a little humor in my nightly TV watching...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast