+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Submitted for your approval....

"
    "You're traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound but of mind; a journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of the imagination. Next stop: THE TWILIGHT ZONE."
    —Two opening narrations by Rod Serling

I was a mere 7 years old when the Twilight Zone came out and completely without Adult Supervision, so I could watch any of those "Cold War" paranoia shows like T.Z. and The Outer Limits. If I had kids today, I'm torn as to whether I'd let them see the shows before 12 or even 15 years old. I know that the shows had a permanent effect on me and I can't tell if that's good or bad. I'd hate to do that to a kid, willingly. Maybe I'd let them watch the shows when they turned 21 years old.

Time Enough at Last
    Writer: Rod Serling
    Director: John Brahm

Nearsighted, meek bank clerk Henry Bernis is the sole survivor of an H-bomb attack. At last he has the time to engulf himself in his passion for books. Or so he thinks.
    CAST: Burgess Meredith, Vaughn Taylor, Jacqueline de Wit, Lela Bliss.

Because I grew up during the Nuclear Age, I remember being taught to hide under my desk (W.T.F???) to protect myself from radiation, like that desk was a lead shield. So, when I saw the above show, I would carry a small magnifying lens on a string around my neck, just in case I was the last kid on Earth and I needed to read stuff. Forget the fact that I didn't wear glasses and still don't....I was prepared for NOT being able to see, if there was a bomb explosion. (I think I got the magnifying lens out of a box of Cracker Jack's)

The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street
    Director: Ron Winston

A mysterious power failure causes paranoid suburban residents to suspect one another of being disguised creatures from outer space.
    CAST: Claude Akins, Jack Weston, Barry Atwater, Jan Handzlik, Burt Metcalfe, Mary Gregory, Anne Barton, Lea Waggner, Ben Erway, Lyn Guild, Sheldon Allman, William Walsh.

THIS show still haunts me; it could be an appendix to To Kill A Mockingbird. I've never seen Mob Mentality so forcefully done, and in 30 minutes, no less.

Nightmare at 20,000 Feet
    Writer: Richard Matheson, based on his short story
    Director: Richard Donner

A newly released mental patient is the only one able to see a gremlin ripping up the wing of his airliner. CAST: William Shatner, Christine White, Nick Cravat, Edward Kammer, Asa Maynor.

Maybe it's because I was young (now 12) or maybe I just naturally hated to fly, but to this day, I look outside, at the wing of the aircraft, completely expecting to see this "gremlin" ripping off the wing! I'm a complete wreck on International Flights; I have 8-10 hours that I have to keep 'post' over the wing......she-e-e-e-s-h...

What's cool about rewatching the shows, is to see all the extraordinarily famous people that were in them: one's that had already established their fame, and ones that were seeking it. Here's a partial list: "
    The series featured such soon-to-be-famous actors as Robert Redford, William Shatner, Burt Reynolds, Robert Duvall, Dennis Hopper, Carol Burnett, James Coburn, Charles Bronson, Lee Marvin, Peter Falk and Bill Mumy, as well as such established stars as silent-film giant Buster Keaton, Art Carney, Mickey Rooney, Ida Lupino and John Carradine. "

If you want to visit a complete site for The Twilight Zone, here's the link:

http://www.scifi.com/twilightzone/episodes/index.html
    Still crazy, after all these shears

"lambikins, put the crack pipe down and back away from the keyboard." Unklescott

"lambikins... I have come to the conclusion that you are the Jedi Master of the Kitchen on FORT!" SuperBrat

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel View Post
    It was Elizabeth Montgomery and Charles Bronson. The episode about the sun I thought it was a woman who was ill, as a matter of fact yes it was Lois Nettleton playing "Norma" in the Midnight Sun episode.

I really liked all of the twilight zones episodes, but the ones with Burgess Meredith were always good.
    You're right. It's been a long time since I saw it, but I remember how twisted the end was.
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

Quote Originally Posted by lambikins View Post
    [i]"
    Time Enough at Last
    Director: John Brahm

Nearsighted, meek bank clerk Henry Bernis is the sole survivor of an H-bomb attack. At last he has the time to engulf himself in his passion for books. Or so he thinks.
    CAST: Burgess Meredith, Vaughn Taylor, Jacqueline de Wit, Lela Bliss.

Because I grew up during the Nuclear Age, I remember being taught to hide under my desk (W.T.F???) to protect myself from radiation, like that desk was a lead shield. So, when I saw the above show, I would carry a small magnifying lens on a string around my neck, just in case I was the last kid on Earth and I needed to read stuff. Forget the fact that I didn't wear glasses and still don't....I was prepared for NOT being able to see, if there was a bomb explosion. (I think I got the magnifying lens out of a box of Cracker Jack's)
    You mean YOUR desk WASN'T lead lined???
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Little Girl Lost
    Writer: Richard Matheson, based on his short story
    Director: Paul Stewart

A couple is awakened in the middle of the night by the cries of their six-year-old daughter who has fallen through a mysterious door into another dimension. CAST: Sarah Marshall, Robert Sampson, Tracy Stratford, Charles Aidman.
    To this day this one still gives me the creeps. The whole idea of hearing your child behind the wall and you can't get to her has always freaked me out.

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood View Post
    To this day this one still gives me the creeps. The whole idea of hearing your child behind the wall and you can't get to her has always freaked me out.
    That was a good episode, isn't this the one where they had to know exactly where to draw the portal in chalk?
    - The Dean Martin Show -

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    Quote Originally Posted by PGM35 View Post
    I like the one with the Aliens that have come " To Serve Man ". They take thousands of humans off to their planet and the people go willingly. Then they decipher the book - a cook book.
    That episode I don't remember seeing.........Heavens to Betsy..that gives me the heebie-jeebies just thinking about it!!!!!!!!

Lambikins...I also still to this day check out the airplane wing to see if the gremlin is out there...What the hell would I do if I saw something out there? I have no idea but you can bet more than likely a) I'll be dead of a heart attack shortly thereafter or b) I'll need to make sure to wear Depends next time!!!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

I love this show, I was raised on it... My husband is terrified of the episode with "Talking Tina" There are so many times when episodes come into play in my real life.

In fact just tonight my husband asked me what I was looking at and I shouted "IT'S A COOKBOOK!"
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

Quote Originally Posted by ClosetNerd View Post
    I love this show, I was raised on it... My husband is terrified of the episode with "Talking Tina" There are so many times when episodes come into play in my real life.

In fact just tonight my husband asked me what I was looking at and I shouted "IT'S A COOKBOOK!"
    I can see that scene in my head: ITS a COOKBOOK
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Quote Originally Posted by bbnbama View Post
    That episode I don't remember seeing.........Heavens to Betsy..that gives me the heebie-jeebies just thinking about it!!!!!!!!
    This is the schedule from the SciFi website but it says Sci Fi East so I'm not sure of the time zone.
    01/01/2006 11:30 PM TWILIGHT ZONE, THE SILENCE
    01/01/2006 12:00 AM TWILIGHT ZONE, TO SERVE MAN
    01/01/2006 12:30 AM TWILIGHT ZONE, WILL THE REAL MARTIAN PLEASE STAND UP?

The Talking Tina one was pretty creepy! "I'm going to kill you" And Telly Savales was so young!

Last edited by PGM35; 12-26-2005 at 11:32 PM.

I was another kid without supervision watching reruns of TZ, Outer Limits, and Night Stalker (that was the art gallery one, right?). I can completely understand your ambivalence about letting kids watch them, lambikins. Those shows really impacted not only my personal aesthetic, but the very way I look at the world. I've always been drawn to slightly twisted, slightly off art - like Looney Tunes cartoons, Monty Python, Salvador Dali, Nathaniel Hawthorne, and Dante. Since I didn't become a Christian until I was 30, it's been interesting meshing my tastes with my Christianity. People hear my views on hot issues, look at my suburban lifestyle and homeschooled kids and make some pretty humorous assumptions. And typical American Christians often have a hard time relating to my humor or my sense of aesthetics. I find myself seeing brilliance in art while not necessarily appreciating the subject matter. I think the hardest thing is not seeing Christians delving deeply into art and literature to produce similarly thought-provoking, haunting works.

Back to the Twilight Zone, I used to love to watch the reruns and try to identify which feature movies had been "inspired" (or blatantly ripped off) by TZ episodes - like Poltergeist coming almost directly from "Little Girl Lost."
    Token Christian.

If truth is relative, how do you know?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast