+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: John Spencer (West Wing, LA Law) dead at 58

Quote Originally Posted by NFL1 View Post
    I read somewhere today that there had been a flash-forward at some point (3 years in the future) ... I don't remember it from any episode, so I must have missed it, so recasting may be something they have to consider. Otherwise, if they do have something unexpected (like Florimel suggested), then maybe CJ step into his shoes again? I think I'd prefer that than a recast...
    I read the same thing, NFL1, along with a comment that if they recast it would be for that reason. However, I think that could be written around without too much trouble, and I hope they will choose to do that.

Sorry to hear this and for his loved ones so sorry this is during the holiday season. Rest in Peace, for a fine actor... Taken too soon.

The show will surely write a tribute episode.

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NFL1 View Post
    I read somewhere today that there had been a flash-forward at some point (3 years in the future) ... I don't remember it from any episode, so I must have missed it, so recasting may be something they have to consider. Otherwise, if they do have something unexpected (like Florimel suggested), then maybe CJ step into his shoes again? I think I'd prefer that than a recast...
    In the very first episode of this season, they show Bartlet coming up the stairs of his presidential library (I'm assuming it's at some point in the future, but they don't say when - or at least I don't remember!). He greets CJ (and her husband DANNY! the reporter) - they make a comment about their baby, Will Bailey, where they comment about him being in Congress, Kate (the defense chick) where he mentions reading her book, Toby where he mentions being a professor at Columbia and Charlie where he mentions something about Jakarta, but not really what his profession is. There is no mention of Leo and then Josh comes bounding up the stairs and says "the President is here", obviously making it so we don't know who it is.

Not sure that demands a recast on Leo's part, since he's not really mentioned at all in that scene. In fact, they really don't mention the new president at all, except for when Josh said he had arrived.

I actually hope they don't recast - I don't think it would work. John Spencer held that role for too many seasons to be recast. I would hope they would have a tragic accident or catastrophe (assasination?) instead of an actual health issue, so his death is mourned by the characters instead of torn apart by the opposition in regards to Santos making a mistake picking an unhealthy candidate for VP.

In any event, I'm sad and I will truly miss him. It's weird watching him on the Bravo reruns - especially since I saw my favorite scene with him and Josh yesterday when Josh goes through a therapy session and Leo makes a small speech to him at the end of the show. It goes something like this...

This guy's walking down the street when he falls in a hole. The walls are so steep he can't get out. A doctor passes by and the guy shouts up, 'Hey you. Can you help me out?' The doctor writes a prescription, throws it down in the hole and moves on. Then a priest comes along and the guy shouts up, 'Father, I'm down in this hole can you help me out?' The priest writes out a prayer, throws it down in the hole and moves on. Then a friend walks by, 'Hey, Joe, it's me can you help me out?' And the friend jumps in the hole. Our guy says, 'Are you stupid? Now we're both down here.' The friend says, 'Yeah, but I've been down here before and I know the way out

a perfect example of how great he was - I just don't think it's possible to replace his character with another actor.

FORT Fan

cancelled

I just read that West Wing will be cancelled in May.

http://www.drudgereport.com (sorry, haven't figured out how to post a direct link.

I'm sure the death of John Spencer was a major factor. Along with the declining ratings...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12