+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Boondocks

I've really gotta wonder about the demographic that this show is targeted toward. Personally, I hate the show. It sets the black community's progress of regard back, and the language on the show is sickening. The comic strip is actually very funny, and if the cartoon ran like the strip, it would still be good, but all the added fixtures are basically degrading the black population in a whole new way. The sad thing about it is black people are letting it just sweep by them.
    Wow.....if the public found out it was produced, written, and acted by white people they would be furious. So why is it, just because there are black voices there's no stand against what every civil rights activists from the 60's, 70's, and 80's has worked hard to create a better image of blacks.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by ladidanz View Post
    I've really gotta wonder about the demographic that this show is targeted toward. Personally, I hate the show. It sets the black community's progress of regard back, and the language on the show is sickening. The comic strip is actually very funny, and if the cartoon ran like the strip, it would still be good, but all the added fixtures are basically degrading the black population in a whole new way. The sad thing about it is black people are letting it just sweep by them.
    Wow.....if the public found out it was produced, written, and acted by white people they would be furious. So why is it, just because there are black voices there's no stand against what every civil rights activists from the 60's, 70's, and 80's has worked hard to create a better image of blacks.
    Totally disagree. This is satire. And because it is produced, written and acted by black people, there is an important element here. People need to look beyond the surface and see what is going on. People are complaining about the MLK episode because MLK got upset with the state of the black community and used the n-word but you have to put things in context and look at what the message of that episode was. Huey spends all of his energy and time criticizing the images that the civil rights activists from the 60s, 70s and 80s worked hard to fight against NOT glorify. One of the problems in the black community is that we are too afraid to air our dirty laundry and be self-critical "in front of white folks". Whether or not the show is as impactful as the strip is another question. But to say that it is disgraceful to the black community is totally off-base IMO.

Totally disgraceful is a strong statement......indeed some of the episodes are quite funny and truthful, especially Huey's ideas of "the man" watching him. That's a belief almost every black person can relate to, and I think a political point like that is the reason McGruder wrote the strip.
    It is satire, and the cartoon isn't totally a waste, the language though...... is it necessary to say nigga in every sentence???? Really? Especially when you consider it offense in many contexts.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by ladidanz View Post
    Totally disgraceful is a strong statement......indeed some of the episodes are quite funny and truthful, especially Huey's ideas of "the man" watching him. That's a belief almost every black person can relate to, and I think a political point like that is the reason McGruder wrote the strip.
    It is satire, and the cartoon isn't totally a waste, the language though...... is it necessary to say nigga in every sentence???? Really? Especially when you consider it offense in many contexts.
    Ok I think we're closer in thought than I initially thought. Too much of the n-word. I dont like the word at all but in some intelligent contexts, I can understand the usage (never endearingly though).

I guess the n-word is going around like hot cakes for celebrities...
    "The actor Damon Wayans has been engaged in a 14-month fight to trademark the term "Nigga" for a clothing line and retail store, a search of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office's online database reveals."

Read the rest of the story:
    http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,70259-0.html?tw=rss.technology

Kao
    That's...terrible. What the hell is WRONG with Wayans?

I TIVO and enjoy the hell out of this show except for a few things, one being the way biracial people are depicted on the show. Either they are self-loathing racists like the One Eyed guy or hopelessly naive like Jasmine. The other, of course, being the excessive use of the N word, but I've noticed something interesting...Huey hardly ever uses the word, while Riley uses it almost all of the time.

Both Sharpton and Jesse Jackson went off about the MLK episode. I think they got so caught up seeing the trees that they couldn't see the forest that McGruder was trying to show them.

So why is it, just because there are black voices there's no stand against what every civil rights activists from the 60's, 70's, and 80's has worked hard to create a better image of blacks.
    That's exactly the point he was trying to make. In a typical McGruder-type way, of course.

I wish like hell I had gotten satellite earlier so I could see more episodes, LOL.

The whole "What" sequence between Riley and Gin Rummy (Samuel Jackson - great line delivery!) in the latest episode was so funny I had tears squirting out my eyes from laughing so hard
    It beats "Who's on first" any day of the week

Kao
    What was even funnier is that it was word for word from Pulp Fiction, just in case anyone was confused by who was doing the voiceover, LOL!

I'm almost positive that Eminem does the voice for Onceler's son, probably uncredited. It sounds way too much like him!

Re: The Boondocks

This show is still on - in fact it was running some episodes that did not make it on the air originally. Sometimes the programming schedules on those cable networks are hard to follow, but this one is worth seeking out (as long as you don't have a knee-jerk reaction to the use of certain language). It is brilliant. In addition to the smart writing, characters, and delivery, we enjoy the anime infusion.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12