+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anderson Cooper to Take Over Prime CNN Position

Anderson Cooper to Take Over Prime CNN Position

NOTE to Mods: I had NO clue where to post this. I thought people would be interested since he used to host The Mole. Sorry if its in the wrong place.

CNN's Brown departing; time slot goes to Cooper
    NEW YORK (AP) Aaron Brown, once one of CNN's most prominent anchors, is leaving the network after a shakeup that gives his prime-time slot to rising star Anderson Cooper and expands it to two hours.
    In a dramatic set of moves, Aaron Brown will leave CNN and Anderson Cooper will now get two hours on-air.

Cooper's old 7 p.m. ET show will be filled by an expanded version of The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer, the late afternoon program attracting attention for its arresting use of multiple video screens.

With Brown left without a time slot, "we mutually looked at the lay of the land and came to this conclusion" that he would leave, said CNN/U.S. President Jon Klein.

Brown was vacationing this week, according to the network. A telephone call to his agent seeking comment was not immediately returned.

Klein said the switch was done to build CNN's schedule around what he considers its hottest personality, Cooper, and hottest new show, The Situation Room.

Cooper, 38, has been gathering momentum all year that peaked with his on-the-scene coverage of Hurricane Katrina, Klein said.

"He's got a refreshing way of being the anti-anchor," he said. "He's not quote-unquote reporting at you. He's just being himself. He's asking the questions you would like answered. He's getting involved the way you might. You feel that he's a regular person that you can trust talking to you. He brings such a passion to the storytelling that's infectious."

After Katrina, CNN paired Cooper and Brown together in a two-hour newscast. But Klein said he had no interest in keeping them together as a team, saying "you just want to make sure that you're putting (Cooper) in the best possible situation and showcasing his talent."

Brown, 56, went to CNN from ABC in 2001 and immediately was thrust into a major role with his heartfelt anchoring following the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. It appeared he would become the face of the network but that never really happened; he was hurt by a widely reported story in 2003 that he didn't cut short a golf outing to come to work on the day the Columbia space shuttle disintegrated.

His quirky, cerebral 10 p.m. newscast had a following, however, with fans who liked his commentaries and "The Whip," a quick review of top stories from correspondents across the globe.

It became apparent when Klein took over that he wasn't a fan, and the show's format changed dramatically with a bigger emphasis on one main story. Greta Van Susteren of Fox News Channel sharply increased her ratings advantage over CNN in the time slot this year.

The second hour of Cooper's new newscast will replace a rerun of Lou Dobbs Tonight that the network had been airing.
    http://www.usatoday.com/life/televis...ving-cnn_x.htm
    I have always had a bit of a crush on Anderson Cooper, so I loved seeing this. It sounds like Aaron Brown sort of got the bum's rush out of there, though
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

The one fact is that they are moving Anderson Cooper to 9pm (CST) means I will rarely watch now. I like his old time slot at 6pm alot better... where it does not conflict with all the dang shows I like watching at the 9pm hour.

And I can not stand the Situation Room that is running in the 6pm time slot this week. I do hope they find a better show to place there...

CCL
    I feel bad for Aaron Brown - I always liked him myself. I like Anderson too, though. He's a nice bit of eye-candy to boot.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

I like Anderson's reporting style , I've liked his no-nonsense, who-gives-a-damn-what-you-think-of-me approach since The Mole.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy
    I like Anderson's reporting style , I've liked his no-nonsense, who-gives-a-damn-what-you-think-of-me approach since The Mole.
    Me too, Duxxy. Especially during his Katrina coverage. He didn't try to coddle anyone.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I love to watch Anderson but I feel bad for Aaron Brown. Perhaps another network will pick him up...

Anderson Cooper

Ok, he's smart too but he is sexy
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

I find Aaron Brown very arroagnat and smarmy. I find him difficult to watch, really, because he's so full of himself. Anderson, on the other hand, I adore.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    I've got a mad crush on Anderson but I do love Aaron Brown and hate to see him getting the boot.
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

giz

Aaron Brown and CNN

So why has Aaron Brown been taken off the nightly news on CNN? Does he have another slot? I assumed he was on holiday, but it seems to be permanent. CNN doesn't have much to say on the subject. Anyone know?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast