+ Reply to Thread
Page 42 of 123 FirstFirst ... 32333435363738394041424344454647484950515292 ... LastLast
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Criminal Minds (CBS)

Re: Criminal Minds (CBS)

I feel like yelling at the writers. "Leave him alone!" Let's see, he has a mentally unstable mom in an institution (which is where Reid will end up if he's not careful), an apparent child-murdering dad, he's been held hostage twice, tortured and drugged once, developed a dependancy on dilotid (sp?). What else can they do to this poor guy?!
    Just a question regarding a little backstory on Reid. I remember (sort of) when Reid was remembering his mom being carted off. Am I right in remembering that Reid was the one who committed his mom? Where was the dad? I forget how old Reid was when that happened.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

Quote Originally Posted by nilesgirl;3230062;
    I feel like yelling at the writers. "Leave him alone!" Let's see, he has a mentally unstable mom in an institution (which is where Reid will end up if he's not careful), an apparent child-murdering dad, he's been held hostage twice, tortured and drugged once, developed a dependancy on dilotid (sp?). What else can they do to this poor guy?!
    Just a question regarding a little backstory on Reid. I remember (sort of) when Reid was remembering his mom being carted off. Am I right in remembering that Reid was the one who committed his mom? Where was the dad? I forget how old Reid was when that happened.
    I don't really remember an age, but I think he had to be in his late teens--I remember one season he was turning 23 or 24, so he isn't old at all, and i do know he was an adult when he decided to have her committed, so my guess is late teens/early 20s.

CCL

Reid's background/childhood is important in that it must have been a deciding factor for him to go into the work he does (because, as Morgan said, he could have done anything). But he has seemed to suffer an awfully lot in his adulthood too, with the whole kidnapping, dilatod addiction etc. More so than any of the other team members. Poor Reid.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

With triple PhD's in Chemistry, Math and Engineering, he really could'vedone anything. Anything involving those specialties. I just feel so bad for Reid whenever I see him so tortured and tormented.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by nilesgirl;3230211;
    With triple PhD's in Chemistry, Math and Engineering, he really could'vedone anything. Anything involving those specialties.
    Exactly. I mean, how do those PhD's even correspond to his work with the BAU? I could see if one of them was in psychology or something.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;3230261;
    Exactly. I mean, how do those PhD's even correspond to his work with the BAU? I could see if one of them was in psychology or something.
    Exactly. He seems to be totally into profiling and none of those give him the slightest background in that. If he's in his early 20's even if he went to college at age 15 or 16 he'd be hard put to get through 3 Ph.D.s (there is course work ... usually a couple of years worth... for each degree, plus a major research project for each. Even assuming some overlap between the courses and that the U. agreed one research project could count for all 3 degrees (pretty much unheard of), and that he did college in 2 years instead of 4, he'd be hard put to find any time to pick up expertise in profiling...and wasn't he an experienced member of the team even when the show started? He'd have to have done something to make them hire him--just being smart isn't enough. I didn't watch the show at the begining...have they ever said how he came to be qualified?
    The dad is definitely gone by the time Reid is an adult and committing the mom. He did say the mom wanted them to move... would that be to protect the murdering dad? To protect the dad of being suspected because he was innocent? To get away from the dad? We can all hope that it turns out dad was actually innocent...and Reid proves it to himself via his childhood memories and adult insights.

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;3230473;
    Exactly. He seems to be totally into profiling and none of those give him the slightest background in that. If he's in his early 20's even if he went to college at age 15 or 16 he'd be hard put to get through 3 Ph.D.s (there is course work ... usually a couple of years worth... for each degree, plus a major research project for each. Even assuming some overlap between the courses and that the U. agreed one research project could count for all 3 degrees (pretty much unheard of), and that he did college in 2 years instead of 4, he'd be hard put to find any time to pick up expertise in profiling...and wasn't he an experienced member of the team even when the show started? He'd have to have done something to make them hire him--just being smart isn't enough. I didn't watch the show at the begining...have they ever said how he came to be qualified?
    If I recall correctly, Reid was pretty new to the team when the show started . I recall the first few episodes involving Gideon taking him under his wing (and also trying to set him up with JJ, which obviously went nowhere, but would indicate he was new to the job, since Gideon probably wouldn't have tried to set him up if he had known JJ for a while). I have a feeling that Gideon was closely involved in Reid's hiring; Gideon always seemed very interested in Reid and he probably saw qualities in him that he thought would be of benefit to the BAU. How he came to Gideon's attention however (did he apply for the job? Did Gideon meet him somewhere and encourage him to join his team ?), I don't know. Maybe we'll find that out this week?
    Regarding his college career: He was around 23/24 when he started at the BAU so if he started college around 14 (just guessing) he would have had 10 years to do undergrad and 3 PhDs. I could see him doing it. His ability to read super-fast, and his phenomenal memory, surely helped him out when getting the PhDs.

Reid started before JJ (not much before but before), I thought. I remember her introducing herself to everyone. I loved the scene where Gideon gave Reid the Redskins tickets and pointed out that JJ is a huge fan. Reid didn't even know anything about football and he looked so adorable being a little shy awkward teenager-type trying to muster up the courage to ask her to the game.

CCL

Quote Originally Posted by nilesgirl;3230744;
    Reid started before JJ (not much before but before), I thought. I remember her introducing herself to everyone. I loved the scene where Gideon gave Reid the Redskins tickets and pointed out that JJ is a huge fan. Reid didn't even know anything about football and he looked so adorable being a little shy awkward teenager-type trying to muster up the courage to ask her to the game.
    Thinking back, I do believe you are correct. The first episode involved Gideon coming back after a few months absence and Reid had been with the team before Gideon went away...so JJ must have been the new person. But I think he was relatively new to the team nonetheless.
    I found on another site something that said Reid graduated from high school at 12 and got his doctorates by 21. But I thought he didn't start at the BAU until 23 so there's a couple of years unaccounted for. I was watching an old episode on A & E on the weekend and he asked Elle if she had learned to break locks at FBI school which makes me think he didn't undergo FBI training (at least not the kind Elle and Morgan went through) before joining the team.

"FBI School". That's soooo "Reid". My favorite thing so far is from a few episodes ago when Reid was doing his "Reid" thing by rattling off all this information about the killings or something and Prentiss walked up to him, took her finger, pressed his cheek and said "He's so lifelike". That got me laughing so hard. In fact, I believe it was the same episode where when asked if he could break some code, he responded with "With a year's supply of aderol (and something else that I can't really remember).

+ Reply to Thread