+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Kitchen Confidential on FOX

Kitchen Confidential on FOX

Did anybody watch this new show? I recorded it, because it is up against HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER, a show on CBS that I really wanted to see, but I was interested in this because I love Anthony Bourdain, and was intrigued at the notion of a sitcom based on his rollicking, adventure-filled autobiography of the same name.

There are some great people in the cast too: Bradley Cooper, whom I enjoyed as Sydney's old friend Will on ALIAS, plays chef "Jack Bourdain" (who I guess is the fictionalized alter ego of Anthony Bourdain) whose staff consists of other actors whose work I love: Nicholas Brendan (Xander on BUFFY), John Cho (from Harold and Kumar... and American Pie), Jaime King...Actually it's kind of funny, because now that I think of it, both Nicky Brendan and John Cho are competing with former co-star Allyson Hannigan, who is on the aforementioned HOW I MET YOUR MOTHER.

Anyway, did anyone see this, and if so, what are your thoughts?
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

I'm glad you started a thread on this, SFG. I was fascinated with Kitchen Confidential, which I read after you recommended it in one of the book threads. I developed an absolutely devestating crush on le chef.

I was looking forward to the show, and dreading it at the same time because most books don't translate well into sit-coms. I had a hard time with Cooper playing Bourdain at first, because he looks nothing like the real Bourdain *sigh* I was pleasantly surprised. The situations were a little contrived but the cast is great. About half way through I sat up and started paying attention. I think I'll keep watching it on Monday nights, probably because it's on after Arrested <-- I'm doing the happy dance about that!
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

I watched, Snowy! I'm a huge fan of Bradley Cooper, so even one of those smiles would have put me over the edge!

I thought that, for a first episode, it was pretty good. I thought the casting was good and I like the premise. I'm hoping that the girlfriend (can't remember the name of the actress) will still be on the show, even though she moved out on Jack - I enjoyed their interactions.

Loved the stuff with the restaurant critic being treated like cr@p! Every time the bathroom door swung open and hit her chair, I laughed! Also loved the stuff with the fish when he gave the speech to the wait staff.

I thought Bradley Cooper was great and is perfect for the role - he has just enough sweetness that he doesn't come off like a total cad. Of course, we've already established that I am very biased where he is concerned (seriously, forget Vaughn - that love scene with Will and Syd was hawt! ).

So: good start, lots of potential. I hope Fox gives it some time to get in a groove.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Damn and damn! I wanted to see both shows you mentioned, Snowie. I'm definitely going to have to check it out. I loved the book and hope the show does it justice.

Snowy, after reading your comments in the thread for How I Met Your Mother (which I only saw a few minutes of), I realized that, not only is there a little Buffy connection with this show, but there's also a Freaks and Geeks connection. The actor who plays the goofy kid from Utah (the one Jack did not hire), John Francis Dailey, was Sam in Greaks and Geeks. He's grown about a foot, but it's him. Loved the stuff in the alley when I he was trying to make himself vomit just because Jack did it.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

OMG, Critical, you're right! He got so BIG, I didn't recognize him. I also agree with you that Bradley Cooper has got a lot of charm and appeal and it's nice to see him in a leading role.

Anyway I finally saw the show, and I really enjoyed it.

Speedy, it bears little resemblance to Bourdain's book, but I still liked the concept of it revolving around the restaurant business and the colorful characters who often populate the staff.

Dinahann, I also love that it's right after ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT! That makes for a great hour of comedy.
    Last edited by SnowflakeGirl; 09-21-2005 at 12:16 AM. Reason: I forgot to take my gingko biloba.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

I caught this show last night and I enjoyed it. I did not realize that it was based on a book of another chef. I also have to say I loves me some Bradley Cooper , he just makes the show!

I caught this, and thought Bradley Cooper was great. I, too, was saying "that's SAM from Freaks and Geeks!" to myself. Jaime King was adorable.

I loved the whole finger scene.....gross as it was!

This was far better than SOME sitcoms FOX comes up with (like "Life on a Stick" or "Stacked") I hope this show gets a chance!
    Always looking for cat treats!

Breathe out, so I can breathe you in...

I saw this, and I enjoyed it too. Not least because the guy who got his finger cut off is a DEAD RINGER for a friend of mine. Acts like him and everything.
    I noticed the Freaks and Geeks kid. He grew up kind of pretty. His character was funny.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar
    The ratings were dismal for this show and i missed it.
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast