+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 43 FirstFirst ... 293031323334353637383940414243 LastLast
Like Tree115Likes

Thread: How I Met Your Mother on CBS

Re: How I Met Your Mother on CBS

I suppose the kids were right, in its totality, the entire series really was the story of Ted loving Robyn. But that’s exactly why I feel duped and cheated. It’s almost like it makes the mother an after thought…and she wasn’t. IMO, Tracy was much better suited to Ted than Robyn. And yes, Ted is such a romantic, and in real life you can certainly have more than one “true” love. But this is TV - I want the fairy tale ! I feel like that ending turned the mother into just a “mother” and a stop gap on the way to the Ted/Robyn happily ever after. Tracy deserved better darn it.

Honestly, I think the show just lasted too long. I mean, I like that they knew exactly where they were going from the beginning. But having to find story for all those years, and keeping Robyn and Ted apart, really cheapened their rooting value. And having Ted’s relationship with Tracy be just snippets (of what appeared to be a truly wonderful love story) before she dies, then three minutes later he’s running back to Robyn cheapened their story. Knowing how they were going to end things, this entire last season should have been about Ted and Tracy together before her death, then Ted grieving, and finally with Robyn’s help (and love) finding a way to move on.
    ArchieComic Fan and AlwaysVeg like this.
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

RIPOFF!!!!!!!

I hadn't planned on watching this season, since it was all going to be about the wedding & I figured the Mother wouldn't show up 'till the last episode, which I intended to watch. But when someone here on FORT said Mother was all throught the season & we'd get to know her, I started watching & even hunted down a few of the episodes from earlier in the season.

Boy do I wish I had gone with my initial idea! To devote an entire season to the wedding of a shortly doomed relationship was a waste.
    I would have been more open to the Ted/Robin end if I hadn't gotten to know the Mother or seen the whole wedding lead up. And killing her........... Just wrong.

One thing I think they did manage to accomplish is that I think they sunk the chances of the upcoming How I Met Your Dad. As much as I've enjoyed this series, I have no intention of setting myself up for a ripoff again. I won't even give it a look.
    "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa. --Field of Dreams--"

There are Cameras?!? Arielflies's Avatar

Okay, I haven't watched regularly for a couple of years, but I loved the tie-back to the blue French Horn and Robin with her many dogs. The blue French Horn and the Yellow Umbrella were the two most important artifacts that they tied ribbons around with this ending.

Some of the others were sloughed off to make everyone happy - Marshall with his judgeship and Barney with the perfect girl. I thought it a fitting way to wrap the bow around the package.

P.S. Loved Lily's whale costume.
    inthegarden likes this.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

I quit watching this 3 seasons ago because I got worn out with it. I thought I might tune in last night but I got really sick with pancreatitis so needless to say, I wasn't thinking about anything other than my health. So glad I didn't watch this! I'd have been furious. I agree with those of you who don't like Robin & Ted together! I never did either. I didn't really care for either character. I mainly watched because of NPH. Love him & love how he made Barney a likeable character somehow!
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

I think one of the main reasons the finale was so disliked is that the show was so "end driven" from the beginning, so any flaws it had would be magnified due to the focus on the ending. There was all this build up to Ted finally meeting TM, and then after that, things went downhill. I agree with those who said that there was no need for this season. I think if he had just met her on the platform at the end of season 8, that would have been much more satisfying.

Like others have said, I felt that they spent time this season letting the audience get to know TM, and then her death was pretty much glossed over in the end. It just seemed very brief, just like "Oh, she died. Now Ted can be with Robin." I feel that the show being driven by the idea of Ted meeting (and being with) TM, handling the death this poorly did cheapen the whole thing and felt a bit disrespectful to TM. I liked her character from what I saw of her, which made the death and the way it was handled even worse. Count me among those who never really liked Robin.
    "In spite of all the temptation you have endured, all the suffering, you remain pure of heart, just as pure as you were at the age of eleven, when you stared into a mirror that reflected your heart's desire, and it showed you only the way to thwart Lord Voldemort, and not immortality or riches."

FORT Fogey

The name of the show should have been "How I Met Your Stepmother." Yes, I know that would have given away the entire plot and outcome, but I feel ripped off. I also realize that life is full of twists and turns and ironies, so meeting the mother did not mean happily ever after for them. But I expected to see more of their relationship this season ... it was misleading to focus the entire season on the Barney-Robin wedding and break them up 10 minutes later. I could never see B&R as a couple, but I couldn't see Ted and Robin as more than friends, either. Ted was the only character I really liked (love NPH but not Barney), and he and the mother were adorable together... I wanted more of them! I couldn't see Ted having two children in a relationship with a woman he obviously loved but not marrying her until much later.

And whatever the excuse for the teenaged children looking so bored with his story, it just seems disrespectful and a little bratty no matter how much time has gone by since the death of their mother ... and six years is really not that much time. It's entirely appropriate for a surviving parent to remind his kids about their mother no matter how much extraneous material he throws in, but now it's obvious that despite all the clues we were tantalizingly fed about the mother over nine years, the story was really about his relationship with Aunt/Stepmom-to-be Robin, not so much with their mother at all. BOO HISS!

Reading the comments and watching a bit of this myself, I have to agree that it doesn't make much sense to talk about the mom for so many seasons then make it a story about him going after Robin.

It may actually rival "St. Elsewhere's" finale (that the doctors and their adventures were being played out in an autistic child's head) one of the weirdest and/or worst finales ever.
    ArchieComic Fan likes this.

FORT Fogey

There was an article or interview I read about the show leading up to the finale that pointed out two very special and unique things the show did with relationships - they didn't ever stray from Marshall and Lilly being a happy couple who genuinely liked each other, and through Ted they showed that a guy can chase the love of his life, and yet still find true happiness with someone else. The point they made there was that it gives a message of hope for those people who chase the great love, lose it, and know they can find happiness again. On the one hand, I'd say that point supports why he talked about the mom for so many seasons. Of course, by his ending up with Robin, it also kind of diminishes that hope.
    Moontat likes this.

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar

I never got into this show but I've caught a few episodes here and there and watched the last 3. I was annoyed by the finale. I could just imagine how a long time viewer would feel. One invests 9 years into a show and the mother ends up being a footnote and the story wasn't really so much about how I met your mother? How I got to your Aunt Robin is what the show has been about. The writers blew that one. Now they think they will do another series about how I met your dad? Who will want to invest that time once again after being burned?

I've never liked Robin either, her character was probably why I couldn't get into the show. NPH was the draw but not enough to get me to watch.
    dzigner and ArchieComic Fan like this.
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

I'm sorry so many of you are disappointed with the finale. I really liked it. I thought it was pretty obvious over the years that the show isn't really about the mother, but about the core group of friends. The way the mother was woven through all their history and finally wrapped closer and closer into their story until he falls in love at first sight. I just wish the bus stop lady had sung at their wedding. If she did, I missed it. I loved Barney finding his true love. That was just lovely. What don't people like about Robin? I don't get that. She's quirky and career driven. She's always been a good friend to all of them. And finally, even though it was only in brief glimpses, they did show that Ted and the mother had a long happy life together with their kids. He loved her. He lost her. Like I said... I don't think she was ever really a main character of the series. Ted finding Robin's locket for her last week was foreshadowing that he was the one who always came through for her.
    Count your blessings!

+ Reply to Thread