+ Reply to Thread
Page 38 of 43 FirstFirst ... 28293031323334353637383940414243 LastLast
Like Tree115Likes

Thread: How I Met Your Mother on CBS

Re: How I Met Your Mother on CBS

I will put in spoilers for the west coasters
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Good parts: Marshall finally gets his Judgeship and is going to run for State Supreme Court. He and Lily wind up having three children. That's about the only good thing in the episode. Bad stuff: Robin and Barney divorce because her career took off and they are always traveling for her job and it puts a strain on the marriage. Barney returns to his old ways, knocks someone up after a month long sleep with a different woman each night-athon (he knocks up whoever was day 31) but once the baby, a girl, is born he becomes all weepy and tells the baby she is the love of his life. That was sweet and all but I didn't like that he and Robin divorced. Ted and the mother put off marriage for umpteen years and finally they get married after they have had two children. Then as we all predicted, the mother gets sick and dies. The kids see through Ted's long story that it wasn't about how he met their mother but how he's in love with "Aunt Robin" whom they love, and since the mother has been dead for six years they give him their blessing to date her. He shows up at her apartment with the blue French horn. The End. Sigh, so not happy I wasted 9 years on that ending.
    Last edited by ArchieComic Fan; 03-31-2014 at 09:34 PM.
    Jamie5632 and Moontat like this.
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    I was a latecomer to the show, not a long time fan. But I liked it. I liked how they got the audience to accept robin and Barney, but that as soon as they split, the hope for her and Ted opened up. And I loved the way they got Barney to change.
    Barney and that baby were the best part of an otherwise totally disappointing (for me) finale. I definitely teared up over that - in a totally good way. Of course how he avoided such a wonderful oopsie for so long is beyond me But otherwise, I feel like I was totally swindled. Sure Robin and Ted were great together back in the day....but then they spent the last several seasons showing us why Robin and Barney were perfect together - just like Ted and Tracy were clearly made for each other. And to spend an entire season on Barney and Robin's wedding - only to have the marriage end 15 minutes into the last episode...I cry foul! If the mother had to die (although quite frankly I like my theory upthread much better ) I would rather have had Ted remain alone, but happy with his friends, kids, and great career. Right now, I feel 100% cheated that Robin and Ted turned out to be end game.
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

FORT Fogey

Blech. I dvr'd it and now I don't even want to watch that dreck of an ending. I gave up watching regularly about 3 years ago because there was too little to keep me intrigued about the mother. I've been watching some of this season since I read here that the mother was finally on the scene, but now to have it end this way ... what a disappointment. Why did they wait so long to get married? That doesn't even make sense to me in the context of the rest of the show.
    holly71 and ArchieComic Fan like this.

I agree about the ending! I started watching from season 1 about 3 years ago and then got caught up and watched season 7 as it aired and then part of season 8. I was getting tired of it by then (it seemed less funny and less interesting) and there wasn't enough about the mother to keep me interested. I haven't watched much this season but spending an entire season on the Robin/Barney wedding only to have them divorce 3 years later? WHAT were they thinking? The constant back and forth with Robin and Ted was really wearing overall. Like last episode on Robin's wedding day she thinks she should be with Ted. It makes more sense now that they're end game but it always annoyed me.

The kids' reactions were very off I thought. Their mom gets sick and dies and Ted tells them the story about how he met her and they just end by saying "so you're into Aunt Robin! Call her! We like her!" WHAT??? You'd expect the kids to be a little subdued and a bit sad after hearing her and Ted's story. Yeah she's been dead for 6 years, but it would be painful still, especially since the death occurred when the kids were around 9 or 10. And they don't acknowledge the significance of the story, just encourage Ted to call Robin. Made no sense.

I DID like how they incorporated memorable storylines from the whole series into the finale, but that was about the only good part. And when Barney met his daughter. But overall, BLEH!
    "In spite of all the temptation you have endured, all the suffering, you remain pure of heart, just as pure as you were at the age of eleven, when you stared into a mirror that reflected your heart's desire, and it showed you only the way to thwart Lord Voldemort, and not immortality or riches."

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar

I never bought the Barney/Robin union, but to waste almost the entire season on their wedding and their divorce comes as practically a one liner? Barney's scene with his daughter was nice (mostly credit to NPH, not the writers), but who is 31? The Mother was a great character in the bits we saw her this season, but they kill her off in less time than the Ted/Stella 2 minute date. But what really bothers me is this: WTF was with the pineapple?!?! Was there a Psych cross over that never happened? (Which, btw, had a much better series finale last week.)
    ArchieComic Fan likes this.

I LOVED the ending! He met and was faithful to his wife. Barney finally met the girl he could say those words to and mean it, which changed him forever, and they finally put those bored kids to good use! Seriously - loved the ending. I always felt they belonged together.
    Arielflies likes this.
    Count your blessings!

FORT Fogey

I thought the bored kids worked because they said it had been six years. It makes sense to say that if they were looking at it from the perspective of their mom, they'd be more upset than bored. However, if they were looking at it from the perspective of their dad, it makes sense. Perhaps they already knew the basic story ... the dad was just trying to fill in all the blanks and did so in a boring drawn out way. If they had seen their dad sad and getting by for six years, it makes sense that they'd be bored, but wanting better for him.

FORT Fanatic

"Hey kids, let me tell you a story about how if uncle Barney didn't marry aunt Robin, and I had to settle for your mother, you wouldn't be here..."
    Why even introduce the mother if she's going to be in the show for a hot second, not really be teds true love and then kill her? A whole season dedicated to a wedding that ends so abruptly that it came across so forced and lame.
    I'm so glad I stopped watching this show 3 seasons ago.

He activates my yummy!!!! yourefired's Avatar

I'm in agreement with pretty much everyone who posted here. Terrible terrible terrible! It was such a disservice to this wonderful cast and the fantastic work they have done for the past 9 years.

When this season started, I already knew I wasn't going to like it. The whole feel of the show changed with that stupid hotel set and the fact that the entire season took place over one weekend. I also don't get why we spent a weekend on that wedding if they were just going to go and blow it. We'd have been better served if Jason Segel hadn't returned for a final season because we wouldn't have been subjected to a season full of nothing.

I do believe the writers knew how this was going to end because they had to film the kids years ago to keep them consistent. Those kids are in their mid 20's at least now. I just don't happen to agree with the ending.

Maybe part of my problem is how annoying I find Robin and really Colbie Smulders in general are. Everyone says she's so hot but I really don't see it at all. Perhaps it's because she's a good 10 years younger than the rest of the cast (but sure doesn't look it -- I thought she was the oldest), but she just didn't seem to gel like the other 4 did. So my general disdain for Robin/Colbie made this the worst possible ending.

I did hear the theory that the mother was dead and I saw it for sure in the episode where they were at the inn discussing attending their daughter's wedding.

They totally wasted Neil Patrick Harris in this episode except forr when he met his daughter. That was truly the best part of what was otherwise a rushed and retchid episode.
    ArchieComic Fan likes this.
    Geisha Ninja Sparkle Dance
    Twirling Ninja Sparkle Dance

FORT Fogey

Because they had filmed the kids long before the finale, I think they knew how it would end, but had to perhaps make it last longer than they had anticipated. Therefore a lot of the twists and turns of putting Robin with Barney etc that made the ending feel like it didn't make sense were more filler than plot twists. I also think that many of the things in the finale were done more for the actors than the audience. They came up with a reason for the five of them to gather and give their teary goodbyes. They found a reason for them to say goodbye to the set. They found a reason to give them time without Robin to remember how the gang was when the show started ... when she wasn't around. They also figured out a way to put on display the amazing love that Neal Patrick Harris can express for his own children by giving Barney a scene that would conjure up those feelings. And wrapped around all of that, they put in the ending they had planned on. Going into Ted and the mom's wedding, it did seem like they were moving towards Ted backing out of the wedding ... the kids came before the marraige, Robin showed up just before it happened. For those who hated the ending -- if the big twist had been that at that moment Ted called off the wedding to the mom realizing that he was in love with Robin and would not make the same mistake she had marrying the wrong person - would you have liked it better? Because it did feel like they were going there ... except they had filmed the kids sending him to her, and needed to bring in the blue french horn.

+ Reply to Thread