+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: "Threshold" - CBS Fridays

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Well, the first posting for the show gives the premise and main charactors...other things that look like they might have lasting effects..there's a 5th main charactor, the cute guy you know the woman will end up with who's the "muscle" in charge of protecting them all. SO weird alien vessel splashes down at sea near a US navy type boat, swirly patterns form in the water. Weird noises and blood starts spruting out people's noses while they hold their heads (the noise seems to be the really bad thing they decide later). In DC they decide to send the team described above to investigate why the ship is suddenly silent, but the investigation must be completed before the N. Koreans get there so alien technology won't fall into the wrong hands...the cold war is over, the NKs are the only solid bad guys left?
    The 3 main charactors other than the DNA doctor and the linguist look like they have been infected in some way...symptoms are weird dreams of glass (or maybe grass?) forests (which to me looked like Honey I shrunk the kids... like they were standing in grass blades and I swear the woman star was about to see a large insect when she woke up. You saw part of it.) They were only a little infected from having seen part a video of what the sailors on the boat where the "thing" came down saw for real. A few of those sailors survived, one of whom (played by Mapother) has been talking to/attacking the woman and saying she is one of them. His blood and that of the animals on the ship...rats, cockroaches etc... has mutated... so there is a guess that the thing was a weapon that is mutating human life into whatever the "others" are. So our heroes are worried they are becoming like the aliens. Also there is some thought that the aliens use 4 or 5 dimensions... basically can time travel and pop up here and there without our seeing how they got there. Some of the weird dreams also involve seeing oneself as if one were in more than one body at once. The thing itself looks like a spikey shape changing Christmas ornament that makes weird noises. They played the hum of part of the noise, which seems to attract the changed rats etc to it... it attracted the above sailor (or maybe he was just looking for the heroine) but also lots of local townspeople. but not all of them...as if there is some genetic variable that makes some people susceptible to the aliens power (but may also protect them from being killed by it--most of the sailors went nuts and were killed by it).
    So far the good guys blood is not mutating but they do have odd theta waves in their brain. And when the woman bleeds the blood droplets form into a swirly pattern...Tune in next week for....

It was fun! I'll watch it again. Liked the ending when the ariel view of the traffic tie-ups showed the swirly symbol.

I loved it - looks like great fun. Of course, I loved X-files and am a sci-fi, supernatural, and horror fan (except monster movies, unless they are well done).

The chemistry between the cast is terrific, and lots of sexual tension between Carla Gugino and the military guy.

Yup, this show goes on my "must watch" list. Love Peter Dinklage.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Qboots
    Yup, this show goes on my "must watch" list. Love Peter Dinklage.
    I haven't seen the show yet, but ditto on the Peter Dinklage love! The Station Agent was one of my favorite films of 2003. I'll definitely be tuning in this week!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I'm going to chime in on loving Peter Dinklage...and he was great in the pilot! (as always)

I thought this had a good storyline, lots of ways to go with it. I don't know what was creepier.....her blood going into the pattern, or the pattern formed in the lights of the cars/city at the close of the show.

What was that guy's name? Cavanaugh? (the "ghost"/military guy?) I liked him.
    Last edited by suncat7; 09-21-2005 at 01:40 PM.
    Always looking for cat treats!

Breathe out, so I can breathe you in...

Rats! Missed tonight's episode....

Hey there! anyone catch tonight's episode?
    If so... would someone mind doing a quick recap for me? Pretty please with sugar on top? I could kick myself for not setting the vcr

A very very short recap.....a body is found at a fast-food restaurant...face deformed, etc. Turns out he's the janitor at a local military school. The red team goes there to blood test all of the cadets. One of the cadets was on a flight that went off course a bit the exact time the UFO was in the air. He was on his laptop on the flight when this happened, and the laptop showed the swirly symbol and froze. However, his blood shows no signs of mutation. The older cadet who worked on his computer IS infected. Turns out the sound from the UFO can not work on pre-pubescent humans or animals. The cadet who IS infected is trying to send out a mass email of the swirly symbol. They stop him, and at the end of the show they're keeping him confined.
    I totally missed how the janitor was infected, or if he was just killed by this older cadet.

Sorry for the brief sketchy review. I was trying to watch and do something else.
    Always looking for cat treats!

Breathe out, so I can breathe you in...

A very very short recap.....
    Thanks suncat! much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by suncat7
    A very very short recap.....a body is found at a fast-food restaurant...face deformed, etc. Turns out he's the janitor at a local military school. The red team goes there to blood test all of the cadets. One of the cadets was on a flight that went off course a bit the exact time the UFO was in the air. He was on his laptop on the flight when this happened, and the laptop showed the swirly symbol and froze. However, his blood shows no signs of mutation. The older cadet who worked on his computer IS infected. Turns out the sound from the UFO can not work on pre-pubescent humans or animals. The cadet who IS infected is trying to send out a mass email of the swirly symbol. They stop him, and at the end of the show they're keeping him confined.
    I totally missed how the janitor was infected, or if he was just killed by this older cadet.

Sorry for the brief sketchy review. I was trying to watch and do something else.
    that review is not sketchy at all, that is exactly what happened

the actual show was probably more confusing, i caught it on an alternate channel since we were gripping for hurricane rita to touch down

i am confused also about the dude with the laptop, and if the kids weren't affected, why were a gang of 'em chasing her when she found the dude with the laptop and she went and hid in the map room

+ Reply to Thread