+ Reply to Thread
Page 66 of 66 FirstFirst ... 165657585960616263646566
Like Tree95Likes

Thread: Supernatural

Re: Supernatural

Season 13 Episode 8 - "The Scorpion and the Frog" - November 30, 2017

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supernatural_(season_13)

After stealing a Nephilim tracking spell from a British museum, the Crossroad Demon Barthamus offers to trade it to the Winchesters to find Jack. In exchange, Barthamus requests the Winchesters aid his minions Smash and Grab in stealing a trunk from a man named Luther Shrike. Luther has Barthamus' trunk in a vault that only Dean can open due to his previous time in Hell. The Winchesters reluctantly agree to the deal and perform a raid on Luther's property. During the raid, Luther realizes the truth and kills Grab, a demon, before being captured by the Winchesters. With the help of Smash, who is a girl named Alice who once made a deal with Barthamus and is now forced to work for him, the Winchesters are able to retrieve the trunk. To their shock, the Winchesters learn that Luther is a man who once made a deal with Barthamus to save his son only to be double-crossed. The trunk contains Barthamus' human bones, leverage with which Luther can force Barthamus to leave him alone. Barthamus kills Luther, but the Winchesters reject his deal due to Barthamus' actions. Alice kills Barthamus by burning his bones, but the spell is destroyed with him. Despite this, the Winchesters are content with how things turned out as they managed to free Alice from her deal to live a normal life and stopped Barthamus.
    Aaaaah, thought Barthamus might be around for a while he had a certain charm.

Liked Smash and Grab too bad it didn't last long sounded like an intriguing idea.

One would think that a museum would have taken photographs and or scans of all of its ancient text, so Sam could discover it on line???? and then decipher it and figure out how to make the nephilim tracking spell work, Big Duh!.
    No goat killers on my island.

Wayward Sisters News:

Wayward Sisters Cast, Story and Details for Supernatural Spinoff | Den of Geek

Supernatural is proving that, much like its main characters, its unrealized spinoff aspirations never truly stay dead. Indeed, it appears that the television continuity of the long-running CW mainstay in which brothers Sam and Dean Winchester hunt monsters across the country will see a new addition, this time headlined by an established fan-favorite character.

Back in June, THR reported that The CW will take another stab with its proverbial angel blade to develop a Supernatural spinoff series. This spinoff attempt will be titled Wayward Sisters in a nod to Kansas’s 1976 hit “Carry on Wayward Son,” which Supernatural regularly plays during the prologue recaps for season finale episodes. Here, Kim Rhodes stars as her long-running Supernatural character in Sioux Falls sheriff Jody Mills, joined by young female cohorts, each tragically orphaned in attacks by monsters.

Some intriguing plot details for Wayward Sisters have arrived by way of an EW interview with the cast and key producers.

First and foremost, it was revealed that – unlike its road-trip-rocking Winchesters-led main series – Wayward Sisters will be a stationary series, primarily setting itself in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, where protagonist Jody Mills (Kim Rhodes) serves as sheriff. Hinting a more community-centric series, co-executive producer Robert Berens states, “This is a place where romance can happen. Or rivalry.”

Wayward Sisters will first take shape with a midseason backdoor pilot in the freshly-premiered Supernatural Season 13 in the first episode of 2018. There, we’ll witness the initial assemblage of the would-be spinoff series main players, starting with the reunification of the foster family of Jody Mills, which was left fractured after a werewolf-related incident in Season 11 saw Claire Novak (Kathryn Love Newton) go off on her own (though she resurfaced solo in a Season 12 episode). As Berens explains:

“Claire went out, she kicked ass on her own, but a crisis will occur that will force her back into the fold of the Wayward family.”

The most recent addition to the Wayward Sisters cast, Yadira Guevara-Prip, who plays dream-walker Kaia, will also uniquely fit into the dynamic, albeit reluctantly. The character has become wary of people after having been out on her own for a long time. Yet, it’s an experience that matches that of the returning Claire. Indeed, Love-Newton describes a bond that will inevitably form after the two meet when Claire saves Kaia’s life, stating:

“[Kaia is] not sure who she can trust, but she starts to form certain bonds and relationships that make it clear that this is the place she needs to be.” Adding, “She [Claire] wants to keep Kaia safe. It’s really important to her, and you’ll find out why.”

Star Kim Rhodes, who eschews the idea that Wayward Sisters will simply be “Supernatural with girls,” calls it “a perfect sibling.” Rhodes reveals that we won’t have to wait that long for the initial seeds of the spinoff, since the introduction to one its primary players in newcomer Patience Turner (Clark Backo) is near. Patience is the psychic-powers-inheriting granddaughter of Season 1’s Missouri Mosely. As Rhodes explains:

“[Jody] is constantly saying, ‘My door is always open,’ and she does it again in Episode 3 of this season where we meet Patience.”

Co-executive producer Andrew Dabb chimes in on Patience’s place in the cast dynamic, describing her as the “eyes of the show.” Yet, her status as a newcomer, not only to the series, but the Supernatural universe, also makes her an overwhelmed layperson with whom audiences can identify. According to Dabb:

“Everyone else is like, ‘Sometimes we do autopsies of monsters on the dinner table.’ She’s like, ‘That’s insane! That’s not a thing people do.’ She’s there to offer a little bit of perspective.”

It's certainly sounding like Wayward Sisters, by planting roots in its Sioux Falls setting, will focus more on the dynamic of its large cast – at least when not decapitating and/or disemboweling monsters.
    Wayward Sisters Cast

While it seemed like a forgone conclusion that Wayward Sisters would see its main cast boosted by role reprisals for the foster family of Supernatural’s Jody Mills in Kathryn Newton as Claire Novak and Katherine Ramdeen as Alex Jones, consider that idea gospel. Deadline confirms that deals have been made for both of them to co-star in the spinoff.

However, the report also indicates that the Wayward Sisters cast will get some intriguing backup in the form of two cast additions, with one familiar face from the mothership show and one newcomer with a legacy.

Brianna Buckmaster (Devil in the Dark) joins the series as Sheriff Donna Hanscum. The character was introduced in Supernatural Season 9 as a small-town local sheriff in Stillwater, MN who found herself immersed in the Winchesters’ investigation of a local weight-loss spa, which was a front for monsters that crave human fat. While she starts out rather eccentric, with fragile self-esteem, her continued edification about the hidden world of monsters in subsequent episode appearances – which included a team-up with Jody Mills – eventually helped Donna evolve into a monster-decapitating badass with a badge. With the character having become a fan favorite, this will be quite a welcome cast addition.

Clark Backo (Designated Survivor) joins the series as Patience Turner, a new character with a surprising connection to one of Supernatural’s earliest episodes. Patience’s path to joining the battle against monsters with the Wayward Sisters will start when her life as an overachieving high school student is completely sidetracked by the revelation that she possesses potent psychic powers; a gift inherited from her grandmother and Supernatural Season 1 character Missouri Moseley, who will also make an appearance.

Loretta Devine (The Carmichael Show) will make an appearance as Missouri Moseley, who passes on her psychic gift to granddaughter Patience. This will be a role reprisal for Devine that’s 12 years in the making. Missouri’s lone appearance occurred in Supernatural Season 1, Episode 9, “Home” (aired Nov. 15, 2005), in which she helped the Winchesters with a spiritual predicament.

Yadira Guevara-Prip is the latest cast addition. She will play Kaia Nieves, a character who fits the show’s titular profile of a Wayward Sister, having lost her family at a young age. She’s described as having a “flinty, sarcastic” personality, matched by a strong will. Moreover, Kaia also brings her own bit of supernatural to this Supernatural spinoff, since she’s a dream-walker, possessing the power to walk between worlds in her dreams. However, she’s not quite in tune with her gift or the familial roots from which it originated and sees it as a curse, resulting in her being overwhelmed by her dream-walking experiences.

A newcomer, Guevara-Prip, only had a few short film appearances banked before fielding a recurring role on the Belize-set Amazon crime-comedy series Mad Dogs. She’s also booked to appear in an untitled TV movie from writer Jenny Lumet (The Mummy 2017). However, Wayward Sisters – should it move forward as a series – would be her very first regular run on a television series. That prospect, however, depends on how well the Wayward Sisters introduction fares when it first manifests as a backdoor pilot on Supernatural Season 13, in which Guevara-Prip’s Kaia Nieves will reportedly debut with the rest of the spinoff cast.

Wayward Sisters Details

Wayward Sisters will be in steady hands with Supernatural showrunners Andrew Daab and Robert Singer handling scriptwriting duties, joined by franchise-familiar executive producers in Phil Sgricca and Robert Berens. Like the previous attempted Supernatural spinoff a few years ago in the monster-family-centric Supernatural: Bloodlines, Wayward Sisters will first manifest with an exposition-setting backdoor pilot, this time during the upcoming Season 13. The spinoff is expected to showcase some established characters, while introducing some new faces.

On Supernatural, Jody Mills – introduced in Season 5 when struck by a zombie-related tragedy that claimed her husband and son – ended up adopting a duo of teens. Claire Novak (Kathryn Love Newton), was introduced in Season 4 (first played by Sydney Imbeau,) as the daughter of angel Castiel’s bodily vessel. Annie “Alex” Jones (Katherine Ramdeen) was introduced in Season 9 in tragic circumstances, trafficked as bait for vampire victims before the Winchesters intervened. Since Jody's foster family often find themselves drawn into the monster-hunting orbit of the Winchesters, a spinoff centering on them has been pitched by many-a-fan.

Wayward Sisters Premiere Date

While Wayward Sisters doesn't have a premiere date set in stone, the series will kick off with a backdoor pilot episode in Supernatural Season 13. That season will premiere on The CW on October 12.

Wayward Sisters is the Supernatural spinoff for which fans have been clamoring. The framework and character dynamic with Jody Mills’s all-female foster family is already there for the taking.
    cablejockey likes this.

I felt sorry for that guy hiding all that time from the demon who killed his son. Good thing Sam and Dean realized how bad Barthamus was. The actor playing him looked a lot like the cop friend on Medium.

Brianna Buckmaster (Devil in the Dark) joins the series as Sheriff Donna Hanscum. The character was introduced in Supernatural Season 9 as a small-town local sheriff in Stillwater, MN who found herself immersed in the Winchesters’ investigation of a local weight-loss spa, which was a front for monsters that crave human fat. While she starts out rather eccentric, with fragile self-esteem, her continued edification about the hidden world of monsters in subsequent episode appearances – which included a team-up with Jody Mills – eventually helped Donna evolve into a monster-decapitating badass with a badge. With the character having become a fan favorite, this will be quite a welcome cast addition.
    Yay! She was a great character and I liked her working with Jodie.

One thing that's confusing - Is the Alex character part of the show? The articles talk about Claire and the new character Kaia but I didn't see anything on Alex?

ETA - Sheesh Reading is fundamental -
    While it seemed like a forgone conclusion that Wayward Sisters would see its main cast boosted by role reprisals for the foster family of Supernatural’s Jody Mills in Kathryn Newton as Claire Novak and Katherine Ramdeen as Alex Jones, consider that idea gospel. Deadline confirms that deals have been made for both of them to co-star in the spinoff.
    for some reason, it took me a few tries to understand the gist of that sentence.
    Women are Angels.
    And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly...usually on a broomstick.
    We are flexible like that.

Quote Originally Posted by MiaT2 View Post
    Yay! She was a great character and I liked her working with Jodie.

One thing that's confusing - Is the Alex character part of the show? The articles talk about Claire and the new character Kaia but I didn't see anything on Alex?

ETA - Sheesh Reading is fundamental - for some reason, it took me a few tries to understand the gist of that sentence.

Warning snarky comment ahead. Writing is fundamental and I know it is hard for millennials to actually write English and not text. That being said I thought that Alice/Smash might be a potential Wayward Sister considering the timing these episodes are airing but it looks like that is not true. Maybe she will appear later who knows.

I like the idea of the two sheriffs. They have lain the groundwork with Jodie and her two foster daughters and a third would be good. It would be interesting to see if a more female oriented group of networked women could work as Hunters and be effective.

Season 13 Episode 9 - "The Bad Place" - December 7, 2017 - Mid Season Finale will be back January 18th

Jack approaches a dreamwalker named Derek Swan in order to look into the alternate reality where Mary Winchester and Lucifer were trapped. Shortly afterwards, the Winchesters learn from Sheriff Jody Mills that Derek is dead and Jack is apparently responsible. The Winchesters track down Jack shortly after he helps dreamwalker Kaia Nieves escape from a rehabilitation facility. Jack is revealed to be innocent in Derek's death. He reveals that he has been attempting to rescue Mary from the alternate reality, but he needs a dreamwalker in order to see the world so that he can open a portal. The Winchesters and Jack rescue Kaia from angels looking for Jack to help them repopulate the species and convince Kaia to help them rescue Mary. Under attack by angels, Kaia and Jack combine their powers to open a portal, disintegrating the angels at the same time. Due to Kaia's visions of another reality populated by monsters that she calls the Bad Place, the Winchesters end up in the Bad Place instead while Kaia is deposited on the side of the road and Jack finds Mary. At the same time, Patience Turner has visions of the Winchesters and Jody Mills in great danger. Against her father's wishes, Patience leaves to help and warns Jody that something terrible is coming.
    Great episode, had really good energy and rhythm. The showrunners know how to tell a story. Watching and listening to the angels pound on the wards was brilliant. I was surprised to see the team scattered to various worlds. Looks as if Kaia is still on our Earth, Jack made it to Apocolypse World, well duh, he landed beneath Mary's cage, and the poor boys ended up in the "Bad Place" similar to Skull Island or Jurassic World. Luv the set up for the Wayward Sisters episode and potential spin off.

Season 13 Episode 10 - "Wayward Sisters" - January 18, 2018

After completing a werewolf hunt, Claire Novak gets a call from Jody Mills that the Winchesters are missing and returns to Sioux Falls. At the same time, the Winchesters remain trapped in the Bad Place where they are ambushed by a hooded figure that apparently intends to feed them to a giant monster. Working together, Jody, Alex and Claire attempt to locate and rescue the Winchesters. They are joined by Patience Turner who warns of a vision where Claire dies. The group locates dreamwalker Kaia Nieves, but come under attack by monsters from the Bad Place, making them realize that the rift to the Bad Place is still open. With the help of Kaia and Sheriff Donna Hanscum, Jody's family locates the rift. As Claire and Kaia travel to the Bad Place to rescue the Winchesters, Jody, Alex, Patience and Donna work together to kill several attacking monsters. Claire and Kaia succeed in rescuing the Winchesters before the rift closes, but Kaia is killed by the hooded figure, the true unexpected outcome of Patience's vision. In the aftermath, Sam warns Jody that more monsters may have made it through the rift in the time that it was open and Claire mourns Kaia's death. As Claire sits down to eat dinner with her family and swears revenge on Kaia's killer, another rift opens and the hooded figure emerges. The hooded figure is revealed to be an alternate reality version of Kaia.
    While I hope The CW gives the Wayward Sisters series a chance I felt that the episode lacked some of the shows usual vim and vigor. Claire has always annoyed me as physically I don't really believe she had the strength to pull off the stunts she has. I think it is incredibly stupid to go up against a big bad without a plan and preparation. I am surprised she has survived this long and very surprised she has not had casualties like Kaia before or caused casualties around her.
    cablejockey likes this.

I love Jody and Patience and hope they can make a go of this spinoff. That giant monster in the other world was truly terrifying and I hope it stays over there!
    I have been watching the whole series over again on Netflix and I am amazed at how much I had forgotten! Its interesting to see how Sam and Dean got their names, the first time they met Bobby Singer and Castiel!

+ Reply to Thread