+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 50 FirstFirst ... 293031323334353637383940414243444546474849 ... LastLast
Like Tree50Likes

Thread: Supernatural

Re: Supernatural

Bear--the show took off for me at the Prison episode, too (dont get me wrong, I liked it before just fine but at Folsom it became a regular plus repeats series for me).

The best season hands down is number 6--I bet I've watched it 3x now!
    LOVE the clever writing and interesting twists...and a big, all-time favorite is the french connection episode where they come to the "filmed supernatural world/our storyline."

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Bouncing Balls Champion

Some of these season 3/4 episodes are pretty disturbing, too. Kidney theft, monster kids, haunted phones, dad who stuffs his face 24/7 and later becomes cannibal... but one of the hardest-to-watch ones was where Lillith possessed that little girl and killed the babysitter and grandfather. Just imagine the constant fear the poor parents had to live in. If I was in that situation I'd probably just want to die.

But I'm enjoying this show. Any ridiculousness I felt early on is gone. I like the ideas they come up with. A Groundhog Day reannactment and time travel.

I like how they sometimes play off urban legends. Like the kidney theft, the razorblades in Halloween candy, and a couple more I've forgotten.

I'm glad your getting into it JohnnyK. The urban legend thing was the basis for the show. This is my whole families favorite show. I had heard of it but I wasn't a big fan of scary shows so I hadn't watched it. Bored one night I was flipping channels and caught the episode where the FBI guy who had been hunting them for a long time finally caught them. Sam and Dean are in jail when the demons show up. They help him survive the night and he releases them and says he'll swear they were killed. After Sam and Dean leave Lillith shows up and kills everyone who had just survived the night. I enjoyed the episode but the creepy little girl killing everyone in the end was a bit much for me so I didn't try watching it again.
    Then one night my husband and I were flipping channels again and it was on so I told him I might want to watch it if he was with me. lol And I think it was when they were rerunning season 3. Then season 4 started and that was it. We were hooked! I bought the first two seasons on DVD and now I own all the seasons and haven't missed an episode yet of the current season.

This is one of the few shows that I think the writers knew where they were going with the story the whole time. In one of the first seasons Sam and Dean have to go back to their childhood home because the current residents are being haunted or possessed. But the demon or ghost has Sam up against the wall. Then the ghost of his mother comes out and saves him. Then she looks at him and tell him she's sorry. He's confused and asks for what. She never answers him. Its a few more seasons later that we learn Mary made a deal and ended up making her son half demon. At the time I thought, "Wow! I wish the writers of Lost had had this kind of foresight." Had I not watched the later seasons first and knew that Sam was half demon because of his mother, I doubt I would have caught the apology or even remember it.

One problem with me being such a huge fan of the show is that I get aggravated when I feel the writers go off script. Like I know the characters better then they do. For 4 seasons Sam has not wanted to be a hunter. He has wanted to settle down and be the family man. Dean has always wanted to be a hunter. Dean dragged Sam back into it and told him there is no other way for them. Then suddenly Sam goes to hell and Dean wants to settle down. When Sam comes back, soulless, he insists that Dean always wanted to be a family man. I was like, "Whaaaat?"

Another thing that is bugging me is happening this season. And that is Dean abandoning Cass. I just don't buy it. The Dean I know wouldn't have let Zeke talk him into kicking Cass out no matter what. Yes Dean is always about doing whats best for Sam. But he wouldn't just chuck human Cass out the door that easily. Because Dean doesn't fear anything. He's got the King of Hell locked in his attic for the love of God. He doesn't fear angels to the extent of wanting to ditch Cass. He has stared down a lot worse and said, "We can do this." That's because somewhere along the way Dean realized this is at least a 10 season show so they can't die(for good) yet.

The thing I love about the show is the comedy. I like a good scary story but I'm usually to chicken for them. This show has enough comedy to make me forget about being scared. And I love all the little '80s pop culture references. There is usually always one hidden in one of Dean's quick one liners.
    "You better watch your mouth sunshine."-Daryl Dixon

The jail episode was pretty good. I think there were two different ones - where they actually get arrested by Hendricksen (and where Hendricksen dies), and where they go undercover as prisoners to help kill a nurse ghost.

The last episode I saw was where Dirk the Jerk possesses students to kill their bullies. The episode before that (the crazy woman who was trapped in her house all her life) also played on an urban legend with the hand licking scene. The girl got her fingers sucked on and she thought it was her dog. Then she sees her dog walk into the room and she freaks out. Pretty cool.

I'm at the beginning of season 5 now. Jacob is Lucifer, and his brother is another demon.

Currently I'm watching Dean take Castiel to a strip club.

Oh, and Sam started the Apocalypse. What a distinction.
    Last edited by JohnnyK; 11-29-2013 at 09:13 PM.

Um, that cannibalistic makeout scene was one of the most disturbing thing I've seen on any show...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    Um, that cannibalistic makeout scene was one of the most disturbing thing I've seen on any show...
    I could not agree with you more. When I rented the first Walking Dead disk my son watched it first. I asked him how bad the gore was and he said he didn't think I could handle it. I asked him if it was worse then Supernatural and he said yeah. I said, "Worse then two people eating each other? Worse then a man getting his head sliced and stuck on a windshield?" I think I named at least 5 opening scenes of Supernatural. Then he was like, "Maybe you can handle it." And I still do think SN is more gorey then WD. But with SN most of the gore only happens in the opening scene. I have learned to "watch" it with my eyes covered.

I see by your avatar that you are a Cass fan. Dean and Cass are my favorite. I did love Sam until Ruby convinced him to eat the nurse. When they meet Chuck and Sam asks him about writing about drinking demon blood and Chuck says he didn't put it in the books because he thought it would make Sam look unsympathetic I agreed with him. And when Sam ate the RN, that was crossing the line for me. It was one of the times I disagreed with the writers of the show. And it did ruin Sams character for me. I could have forgiven him if he'd been under some kind of spell but he made the choice on his own just because Ruby told him he needed to.
    "You better watch your mouth sunshine."-Daryl Dixon

This zombie episode is reminding me of the Walking Dead. Dead people coming back to life, burning up with severe fevers, and then turning into cannibal savages. Like when the kid ate his dad. Oh, this show.

Quote Originally Posted by CantGetNuf View Post
    I could not agree with you more. When I rented the first Walking Dead disk my son watched it first. I asked him how bad the gore was and he said he didn't think I could handle it. I asked him if it was worse then Supernatural and he said yeah. I said, "Worse then two people eating each other? Worse then a man getting his head sliced and stuck on a windshield?" I think I named at least 5 opening scenes of Supernatural. Then he was like, "Maybe you can handle it." And I still do think SN is more gorey then WD. But with SN most of the gore only happens in the opening scene. I have learned to "watch" it with my eyes covered.

I see by your avatar that you are a Cass fan. Dean and Cass are my favorite. I did love Sam until Ruby convinced him to eat the nurse. When they meet Chuck and Sam asks him about writing about drinking demon blood and Chuck says he didn't put it in the books because he thought it would make Sam look unsympathetic I agreed with him. And when Sam ate the RN, that was crossing the line for me. It was one of the times I disagreed with the writers of the show. And it did ruin Sams character for me. I could have forgiven him if he'd been under some kind of spell but he made the choice on his own just because Ruby told him he needed to.
    Yeah, Cass is alright. I like all the main characters now. Well, the good ones, at least. The brothers and Bobby.

Sam ate a nurse? I can't believe I already don't remember that.

+ Reply to Thread