+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Sex and the City

giz

Sex and the City

I'm watching all the reruns on Bravo, and just wondering what the other people watching think of it. There's a number of things I love about the show.
    The writing: it's quick and clever and thoughtful.
    New York: wish I could go, yearning for it.
    The clothes: wish I had the $ for the wardrobe.
    The acting: uniformly good
    The characters: love Miranda, Samantha and Charlotte. Love the men, are there really men like Steve and Harry in the world? Hope so. Have devloped crush on David Eisenberg (Chris Noth is a given, John Corbett's character is too long-suffering).

There's one thing I don't like about the show: Carrie Bradshaw. Argh! Can't stand her. Well, I can sort of stand her when she's with her friends, but as soon as a man looms into view she tosses her hair, she minces, she pouts her lip. It is so freaking infuriating! Why does SJP play her this way? Does this rub anyone else the wrong way, or is it just me? Love the other women characters though, they are never wrong!

Hmmm... I don't have a problem at all with Carrie! I her to death!!!

The one I can't stand is Charlotte. To me, all she ever does is whine. She whines because her wedding didn't go perfect, her dog is in heat, her dog is pregnant, because she's divorced, etc. etc. etc. ALL SHE DOES IS WHINE! I find it very annoying... I dislike her so much...

I love the show. The character I've never liked too well is Miranda. To me, she doesn't fit in well with the others. I also think that getting her pregnant later in the show ruined it. I didn't watch many episodes after that.
    You know how alcohol makes people let down their prohibitions Ms Rap Supreme on VH1

giz
    Interesting. Well, it seems we all have one character who doesn't do it for us. Charlotte does whine alot, don't know why it doesn't bother me. I suppose with her (and Miranda and Samantha) she seems true to herself, whereas Carrie is so different with men, that kind of irks me. For me, Miranda is great. I could never be as blunt as she is, and in real life she might make me feel uncomfortable, but on tv I found it refreshing. I actually thought her pregnancy was one of the first tv pregnancies that didn't ruin the show. Perhaps because the show was not supported by her character, she was just one in an ensemble. Her character could change and grow (literally and figuratively) without the premise falling apart. I liked the way she could slowly soften, and I found her learning curve with the baby (and with Steve) very true to life.

I watched the whole series on HBO, and I have to agree with the goofy hair-toss thing Carrie does. It's almost like she tries to go into this "little girl" mode when a guy is around like "silly me, take care of me, I'm so cute and helpless!"
    Don't get me wrong, though, I LOVE her and Mr. Big together. (woohoo, Chris Noth!!!)

I never liked Miranda on there. I found her so abrasive, and I thought Steve was whiney and spineless. (I did enjoy the Miranda/Blair Underwood storyline, though)

On the other hand, I loved Charlotte, complainer that she was. (and Harry!!!)

Oh, who am I kidding, I watched the whole thing for Chris Noth.
    Always looking for cat treats!

Breathe out, so I can breathe you in...

I also watched the whole thing on HBO (I can't watch the uncut version!) and loved the entire series. There were things about each character that were irritating, but I loved them all.

I didn't like Carrie's little girl act around the guys either, but I did like her optimism. She always bounced back. Watching Mr. Big and/or Aidan on my TV did't hurt one bit, either!

Charlotte may have been a bit of a whiner, but I love how much of a romantic she was. She was a good foil for Miranda, ever the pessimist. She finally softened up at the end, which was great.

I think Samantha was really soft-hearted but put up walls around herself to prevent getting hurt. Very much the...uh, free spirit.
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

giz
    I didn't find Steve whiny. I thought he stood up to Miranda when it mattered. Aidan was spineless (while at the same time being very easy on the eyes). I guess part of the reason Carrie's little girl act bothered me (hell it would bother me anyway) was because she was always on about being an independant woman in N.Y., but shut off her brain when around men. I find it annoying that some men in real life would find that attractive. I thought it was hypocritical. She did it less around Big (John) than she did with other men. She did it a lot to manipulate Aidan. I never saw it mentioned in reviews of the show though, which is odd. I loved the relationship of the four women, too. The ups and downs of friendship. I've got good friends, but none of them really know each other, and it made me a little envious of this group friendship thing.

And Chris Noth. yeah. whew.

I own the entire show on DVD, and whenever I am bored and nothing's on TV, I'll pop in a disc.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I just never had one problem with Carrie... I found everything about her likeable.

As for the other characters, Charlotte was my least favorite. I didn't like her at all with Trey and I was glad that that marriage ended though... I wasn't glad at the fact that I would have to listen to the rest of the season hearing Charlotte complain about how her marriage ended and she's not perfect anymore On the other hand, I did like how she knew what she wanted in life and wasn't gonna settle for any less. AND I loved her gay friend Anthony! He was always soooo funny

Miranda... wow. I really enjoyed her character... maybe it's because I see myself more as a Miranda then anyone else I loved how she could be so judgemental, but in the end be so loving and caring too. I thought having her have a baby was such a great story line to the show. In the end with her marriage to Steve and having the baby, I think she really turned into a loveable soft person, without really changing her views and attitude that much.

Samantha Man... I totally envied her! I could never be so sexually open and free-spirited like her! I never liked her with that guy Richard (the millionaire who owned hotels). I felt she completely changed who she was as a character and there was no interest for me in the show with the two of them as a couple. I absolutely adored Samantha with Smith. They were such a cute couple, and it was so great to see a guy really treat Samantha good... and her to actually appreciate it and like being in a relationship with a guy.

All in all... I just love this show I think it's why I own every season on DVD

FORT Newbie
    I own all the DVDs of each season, but I still love watching this on TBS and whatever station it comes on (WGN?). It is stupid, but I never tire of this show! Wish they were still making new ones :-(

Libby

I never watched on HBO but I have HBO on demand and one day I was bored and I think I watched every season in one weekend! I think the only thing that drove me crazy about Carrie was her smoking, I'm glad she quit. I too just love Big and I'm buying the seasons on DVD as funds permit.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast