+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 28 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Rome (on HBO)

Rome (on HBO)

From http://www.hbo.com/rome/about/index.html:

ABOUT THE SHOW

The year is 52 B.C. Four hundred years after the founding of the Republic, Rome is the wealthiest city in the world, a cosmopolitan metropolis of one million people, epicenter of a sprawling empire. The Republic was founded on principles of shared power and fierce personal competition, never allowing one man to seize absolute control. But now, those foundations are crumbling, eaten away by corruption and excess. The ruling class has become extravagantly wealthy, with a precipitous decline in the old values of Spartan discipline and social unity. There is now a great chasm between the classes. Legal and political systems have weakened, and power has increasingly shifted to the military.
    Premieres Sunday, August 28, 9 pm. Anyone else looking forward to it? Or am I going to be very, very lonely in this thread?
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

I hope this is better done then Empire was on NBC. I was very disapointed in how that show turned out.

Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    Premieres Sunday, August 28, 9 pm. Anyone else looking forward to it? Or am I going to be very, very lonely in this thread?
    I was going to post a thread about this and you beat me to it, Phat! Polly Walker and Ciaran Hinds on the same show? I am so there! Of course, I'm a history geek, so I'll be watching every Sunday and then multiple times on In Demand!

Um......I actually liked Empire
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I'm in. If you have OnDemand, they are showing some making-of's and behind the scenes stuff right now.

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump
    I'm in. If you have OnDemand, they are showing some making-of's and behind the scenes stuff right now.
    Thanks for the tip, speedy! I watched all four of the "shows" about Rome on OnDemand earlier tonight. Now I'm even MORE excited to see it! Also, the historical consultant (I think his name is Jonathan Stamp) is dreamy I just love those smarties!

I read a review of the show yesterday and it was very good.

I'm sort of disappointed that Ciaran Hinds is playing Caesar. I love him. Anyone know how many episodes he will be doing before well... you know? (don't want to spoil it for those who don't know their Roman history!). Polly Walker's part looks fab and juicy and the show looks beautiful. I can hardly wait until Sunday!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Did anyone else watch the first episode tonight? Reviews please!

I (not surprisingly) loved it! Polly Walker was deliciously manipulative and the rest of the cast was spot on. Fantastic cinematography and beautiful sets. The script was terrific too. I can't believe how quickly that episode flew by - can't wait for next week!

I had to watch the season finale of The 4400 so I'm catching the repeat. I can't wait to see it.

I loved it too, Critical! It doesn't hurt that I've always been fascinated by ancient Roman history. I thought it was filmed beautifully, and I loved Atia (I think that was her name?)...this is a series I can definitely get into!
    It was me. I let the dogs out.

I Claudius is one of my all time favourite dramas and I'm really looking forward to this coming to BBC in the autumn.
    Act your age, not your shoe size!

The one thing I did not like about it was all the nudity in it. This being done by HBO, it's to be expected, but it didn't really need to be in it. It had no real purpose to the show, and they can show the sexual perversion the Romans had in other ways. Otherwise, I thought it was very well done as a first episode to set up the return of Cesar to Rome.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 28 1234567891011 ... LastLast