+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Rome (on HBO)

I have a question. WAS the guy the Egyptians gave up to Ceasar as being the one who killed Pompey Magnus really the guy who killed him? I think not, but a co-worker says yes. I think the guy Ceasar got was a patsy.

I do not believe it was the same guy. The guy that killed pompay was someone pompay knew.

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by karen14
    I have a question. WAS the guy the Egyptians gave up to Ceasar as being the one who killed Pompey Magnus really the guy who killed him? I think not, but a co-worker says yes. I think the guy Ceasar got was a patsy.
    I wondered that myself; the character looked different. According to the epsiode summary on hbo.com, it was the same guy:

....An iron shackle is attached to his ankle as two of his advisors are killed, their heads added to the spikes outside palace gates - alongside Lucius Septimius, the man who killed Pompey Magnus....
    But I agree--the guy didn't look quite the same as at the end of the previous episode.

OK, I just watched those scenes with Lucius Septimius on the last two episodes of ROME and it IS the same guy, actor and character. I guess I was thrown seeing him in an apparent high position with they Egytian 'military' guy. Now I have to go eat crow w/my co-worker tomorrow. Damn Ceasar's Ghost!!!

oops, i feel foolish now. without taking a longer/closer look it does not look like the same person. I can't believe his "owner" (?) just gave him up like that.

So we don't get another new episode until the 30th? They're killing me! I'm totally addicted to this show, even though I know what happens....
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd
    So we don't get another new episode until the 30th? They're killing me! I'm totally addicted to this show, even though I know what happens....
    I know, me too! For me, the surprise is when certain things will happen. When Pompey was killed, I knew it was going to happen, but I was still shocked when it actually did!

The big question is this: how long until the Ides of March? I hope they drag it out for a long time - I love Ciaran Hinds as Caesar.

Even though Pullo has sort of become the Forret Gump of ancient Rome, I still love his whole storyline. Ray Stevenson is doing a great job with that character - he's just the right amount of imbecile, sex addict, teddy bear and kick-ass killing machine. Plus, you know... he's hot
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical
    The big question is this: how long until the Ides of March? I hope they drag it out for a long time - I love Ciaran Hinds as Caesar.
    Well if the baby Caesarion was just born it is 47 BC...which means we have 3 years left til the Ides of March, 44 BC. I hope they don't go through it too fast, we just skipped at least nine months in the last episode!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks Pullo and Vorenus are Forrest Gump-ing their way through history! Though I don't mind at all...
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd
    Well if the baby Caesarion was just born it is 47 BC...which means we have 3 years left til the Ides of March, 44 BC. I hope they don't go through it too fast, we just skipped at least nine months in the last episode!
    I know - with only three years left, it's just a matter of how long they take to get there! The first few episodes covered several years and Caesar crossed the Rubicon in 49 BC - seeing as how this last episode covered about a year, we could see the Ides of March before the end of the first season

I love the Forrest Gump-iness of Pullo and Vorenus. So now: Pullo has brought down the Republic (or so the title of the episode said) and is the possible father to Caesar's only legal heir... he has also retreived Caesar's eagle, rescued Cleopatra and found the missing gold from the Roman treasury! Like I said, the thing that keeps it from being too precious is Ray Stevenson's performance - that and his chemistry with Kevin McKidd (Vorenus). The casting people did a great job with this show, imo.

That scene with Cicero, Brutus and Marc Antony in this last episode was terrific. James Purefoy is playing Antony with a perfect mix of threatening malice and hedonistic playboy

I can't believe we have to wait so long for a new episode! I'll have to satisfy myself by watching all of the episodes on OnDemand.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    I'm still trying to figure out the timeline for the second season in 2007. WTF??
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread