+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Rome (on HBO)

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd
    Does anyone else think that Lucius is just so awkward with his wife Niobe? How on earth did this guy ever get married? I know they were apart for a long time, but come on.
    They mentioned a few episodes ago that she was maybe 13 (surely, an arranged marriage, so it's not like he had to woo her!) when they married and THEN he left for 8 years. I'd say that's enough reason for his awkwardness. Plus, remember the conversation with Pullo? He clearly doesn't know much about the female anatomy or women in general. I think he's just timid and unsure of himself.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical
    They mentioned a few episodes ago that she was maybe 13 (surely, an arranged marriage, so it's not like he had to woo her!) when they married and THEN he left for 8 years.
    I missed that part...I really have to pay more attention! That would explain a lot....
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Next Week's Blurb

Is anyone else thrown by the apparent change of direction hinted at for next week, or is it just me? Julius Caesar...meets The Mummy. I was watching with J. when we saw next week's teaser; we sat there quietly until J. piped up with, "Maybe they should change the name of this show to Roam."
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    Is anyone else thrown by the apparent change of direction hinted at for next week, or is it just me? Julius Caesar...meets The Mummy. I was watching with J. when we saw next week's teaser; we sat there quietly until J. piped up with, "Maybe they should change the name of this show to Roam."
    Nope - I'm excited! As soon as I heard the name "Cleopatra" I said "HOT DAMN!!!" I doubt this signals a complete turn for the show - probably just an episode or two. Plus, I don't think they'd NOT keep up with Atia and everyone else back in Rome.

Was I the only one who saw the affair brewing between Servilia and Octavia? Can't wait to see Atia's reaction to that development! She hated Octavia's husband enough to kill him - what will she do to Servilia?

That ending literally made me gasp and slap my hand over my mouth! I love it when a show totally shocks me like that! Now I really can't wait until next week!

ETA: I don't know how I missed this, but Rome has been renewed for a second season! Here's the article from hbo.com:
    HBO renews the epic drama series Rome

HBO has renewed its epic drama series ROME for a second season, it was announced today by Carolyn Strauss, president, HBO Entertainment. Production of the 12-episode second season will begin next March, with the debut set for 2007.

"Although the first season of ROME is just underway, we're affirming our support for this exciting and ambitious series by preparing for a second season now," noted Strauss. "I'm delighted that critics and subscribers share our enthusiasm for the show."

The initial episodes of ROME have inspired legions of critical praise. TV Guide hailed it as a "feast for the eyes" and a "ripping good story," as well as a "shamelessly enjoyable historical romp." USA Today called ROME "as extravagant, enticing and chaotic as Rome itself," adding, "you may never want to leave." The Washington Post described the series as "ravishing and wickedly shocking," and "a feast for the senses that includes generous portions of food for thought."
    http://www.hbo.com/rome/news/
    The only bad news is that the second season doesn't start until 2007
    Last edited by Critical; 10-10-2005 at 02:47 AM.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

ETA: I don't know how I missed this, but Rome has been renewed for a second season! Here's the article from hbo.com:
    Excellent! I'm glad they decided to extend it...one season is definitely not enough!
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Wow!! Since this is my favorite show on TV, I am thrilled they've renewed it. I am glad it is on HBO so we can see it in all its naughtiness and lack of PC. Each episode is a delight!

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Critical
    Nope - I'm excited! As soon as I heard the name "Cleopatra" I said "HOT DAMN!!!"
    I said now we're getting to the good part of history. Like when Caesar welcomed Brutus back into the fold.

What a weird way for Pompeii to go...

But I was left with asking myself....why this way????

I love this show!

Pierre

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera
    What a weird way for Pompeii to go... But I was left with asking myself....why this way???? I love this show! Pierre
    From a historical site on Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus.

Arriving in Egypt, Pompey's fate was decided by three counselors of Ptolemy, the boy-king. While Pompey waited offshore for word, they argued the cost of offering him refuge with Caesar already en route for Egypt. Because "dead men don't bite," it was decided to murder Caesar's enemy to ingratiate themselves with him. Alone, the great Pompey was lured toward a supposed audience on shore in a small boat in which he recognized two old comrades-in-arms from the glorious, early battles. They were his assassins. While he sat in the boat, studying his speech for the boy king, they stabbed him in the back with sword and dagger. Cutting his head off, the body was left, contemptuously unattended and naked, on the shore for a slave to tend and cremate on a pyre of broken ship's timbers. When Caesar arrived, a slave offered him Pompey's head;" Öhe turned away from him with loathing, as from an assassin; and when he received Pompey's signet ring on which was engraved a lion holding a sword in his paws, he burst into tears." Plutarch, 80.

Wow...Thanks Austin.

All in all, a fairly accurate rendition of his demise...

It wasn't quite explained yet in the show...

Pierre
    :-)

+ Reply to Thread