+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Rome (on HBO)

Quote Originally Posted by THL Sigrid
    It's a kind of squeegee that the Romans used to cleanse themselves. The baths were for relaxation and socializing more like a great big hot tub. They didn't have bathing soap. What they did to clean themselves before getting in the bath was to cover themselves with oil then have someone, a slave if one could afford it, scrape the oil off of them, taking the dirt and excess body oils with it. Water doesn't really clean you by itself because oil doesn't dissolve into water. That's why we use soap.
    Well thank you for clearing that up...shows how much I know about this period of history!

And to the FORT!
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Welcome, Sigrid! And just in time, too. Since you seem knowledgeable about the era, we're probably going to have a thousand questions for you.

Someone had a question about Roman names a page or two back. I found that lecture in my Roman History class a little dense and hard to get my head around.

Look at this page: http://duke.usask.ca/~porterj/Course...RomanName.html

It's not light reading, though. But interesting (to me, anyway).
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Wow! Tonight's episode was incredible! So much happened, both personally and on the larger scale.

On one hand, I'm glad Atia's scheming was discovered by someone, but I still don't want her to be stopped. I just love that character so much. Will Servilla's curses on Atia and Caesar have any effect?

The scenes with Octavian and Pullo were awesome! We're finally seeing some of the future Caesar come out. Pullo talking about how he didn't really know how to torture anyone because there are specific people who do that I was excited to see that Pullo was going to be schooling Octavian in "manly virtues," but this was more than I hoped for. Eventually Vorenus has to find out the baby isn't his grandson... but when?

Every week, as soon as one episode is over, I'm counting down until the next one! The previews for next week look really good.

Okay everyone - what did you think!?

BTW waywyrd - I finally watched the scene with Mark Antony in the last episode (you know: The Scene ). Wowza! Wish I could make that my av!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Glad you got to see it, Critical! It was definitely must see TV!

I only got to see bits and pieces (was flipping between Desperate Housewives)...but it looked like a great episode. Was Servilla pissed or what? I don't blame her, Caesar was so cold when he left. Pullo and Octavian's scenes were awesome from what I saw...I don't know what led up to them killing Niobe's brother-in-law, I've got to sit down and watch the whole thing!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Brother-in-law was killed when he confirmed Pullo's suspicions of hanky-panky, and the baby, between him and Niobi. It was Octavian's idea to have him killed. Pullo is very, very loyal to Vorenus. I turned a little green when Pullo cut off his thumbs.

Is Octavian supposed to be gay? I'm getting that impression.

And Vorenus can still find out about the baby....from his sister-in-law........his daughter......there are all too many sources of information out there. I do not think Pullo will be the one to tell it.

This is a wonderful show, but I'm still pissed about Carnivale.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I hope Rome doesn't follow the "Star Trek film curse," but Episode 5 ("The Ram Has Touched the Wall") makes me wonder if I'm going to like even-numbered episodes better than odd. All around, it was a capable episode, but it could have been so much more.

We wouldn't have much of a series if Caesar and Antony had managed to arrest and execute Pompey and the breakaway senators, but, nevertheless, it was disappointing to see the great General Caesar outmaneuvered because he waited a tad too long to make his move. And speaking of the senators, creepy moment of the week: Cicero inviting Brutus to his farm in the country.

The Octavian/Titus Pullo scenes made the episode, from Octavian advising Titus about Lucius' cuckolding, to having to teach Titus how to torture Evander. The writers and producers have unrestrained admiration for Octavian, and why not? This is the man who will one day pursue Mark Antony himself to the end of the known world and destroy him...because Antony jilted his wife (Octavian's sister) Octavia for Jennifer Lopez Cleopatra. (Give that one a moment.) Now that's protecting your sister's honor.

I found Servilia's "curse" a little too Fatal Attraction, Atia's "revenge" beneath her usual subtlety and one of the true highlights of the episode (Lucius' entry into the Evocati) to be so dimly filmed that it lost its impact.

And speaking of Lucius, can this guyus not catch a breakus? Eight years of soldiering only to come home to a wife who's had his brother's-in-law baby, his spoils of war invested in slaves (all dead), what money he does have seems to go toward keeping Titus Pullo out of trouble, and now his household has two more mouths to feed after going from no slaves to two.

(I could be way off, but I see Rubio becoming a member of the Vorenus household and Lucius training him as a soldier. I would love to see the series end with Rubio Vorenus as a centurion in Emperor Augustus' legions. Corny, but why the hell not? It would make a good setup for a second season, too.)

Ah, well. There's always hoping for next week. It is an even-numbered episode, after all.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Critical
    The scenes with Octavian and Pullo were awesome! We're finally seeing some of the future Caesar come out. Pullo talking about how he didn't really know how to torture anyone because there are specific people who do that I was excited to see that Pullo was going to be schooling Octavian in "manly virtues," but this was more than I hoped for. Eventually Vorenus has to find out the baby isn't his grandson... but when?
    I was waiting for the brother in-law to get his. Now I can't wait for the aftermath of the killing as all parties involved start to figure out what is what.

I thought Marc-Anthony was more intelligent than that, he seems so be taking such emotional decisions instead of cold-blooded strategic decisions.

Unless my history is fuzzy, doesn't he do great later on in life?

And Pollus is SO loyal to Vorenus, he comes off quite intelligent for being a foot soldier.

Do you guys think the boat will capsize or what?

Pierre
    :-)

FORT Fogey
    That was funny when Octavian's mother told him, "You will penetrate someone tonight."

Do you guys think the boat will capsize or what?
    Hard to tell...the previews showed what looked to be like a few people washed up on shore. If it didn't capsize I think it was definitely a rough landing!

Atia just kills me. First there was her insistence that poor Octavian lose his virginity, then her failed "proposal" to Marc Antony. Oh, and her gifts to Servilia! Certainly, ummm, thoughtful of her.

Does anyone else think that Lucius is just so awkward with his wife Niobe? How on earth did this guy ever get married? I know they were apart for a long time, but come on.

+ Reply to Thread