+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Rome (on HBO)

What happened to everyone?

PhoneGrrrl, I can't remember if he was epileptic either...I'll have to do some searching and find out. Maybe it was just something HBO added for drama?

Pullo is really pushing his luck! I'm surprised he didn't get in trouble for taking off with the gold...he got rewarded instead. And the father of Niobe's baby is her brother-in-law? It seemed like her sister knew about it. It's only a matter of time before Lucius finds out.

And can someone tell me what on earth that guy was doing to Marcus Anthony in the courtyard, while he was standing there naked talking to Lucius? He was running something across his back...some kind of razor perhaps?
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

I was startled at first to see full frontal nudity when Mark Antony was standing in the courtyard (in all his glory) getting a body shave from his slave. The guy who plays him, James Purefoy is a very sexy man (good casting choice). He was Reese Witherspoon's husband in Vanity Fair. And . . some of the graffiti is "interesting" to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd
    I'm here! I didn't get to watch until last night since I was at FortCON on Sunday!

Quote Originally Posted by aname
    I was startled at first to see full frontal nudity when Mark Antony was standing in the courtyard (in all his glory) getting a body shave from his slave. The guy who plays him, James Purefoy is a very sexy man (good casting choice). He was Reese Witherspoon's husband in Vanity Fair. And . . some of the graffiti is "interesting" to say the least.
    I missed the nudity! I looked away for a minute or two and only got the verrry nice chestal region James Purefoy is dead sexy. Perfect casting, I agree.

I was SO tired when I watched this episode last night that I know I missed a lot. I'll definitely be watching this one again.

PhoneGrrrl - I googled "Julius Caesar epilepsy" and found lots of info. Apparently, it's very likely that he did have epilepsy - this is based on accounts of seizures, especially in the last years of his life.

ITA - Pullo makes the show... along with Atia. Polly Walker has gotten the role of a lifetime with Atia - it's like she was born to play that part.

When Caesar called Octavius "Owl" in this epiosde, I remembered that the title of the last episode was "An Owl in a Thornbush" or something to that effect. I'm going to have to start paying even more attention to the titles!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Another great episode! Perfect timing on Pullo's part!!! I saw him walk in, turned to my friend(who hasn't seen an ep yet) and just said "get ready for some ass kicking!" Lucius and Pullo are two bad dudes...but in a good way!

Didn't know Caesar had seizures. Not sure if its added drama or history, but it makes a great story!

And the father of Niobe's baby is her brother-in-law? It seemed like her sister knew about it. It's only a matter of time before Lucius finds out.
    I was thinking that perhaps Niobe's sister couldn't have a child, and Niobe is an ancient Roman surrogate? Or something like that? And in mating with her brother-in-law, he and Niobe fell in love. Something like that?
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdobolina
    I was thinking that perhaps Niobe's sister couldn't have a child, and Niobe is an ancient Roman surrogate? Or something like that? And in mating with her brother-in-law, he and Niobe fell in love. Something like that?
    Could be...but why would Niobe then try to pass off the baby as her daughter's? Lucius has been gone for years, he'd never know if her sister had the baby or didn't. Hmm...this is turning into a soap opera!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical
    I missed the nudity! I looked away for a minute or two and only got the verrry nice chestal region James Purefoy is dead sexy. Perfect casting, I agree.
    Critical, I highly recommend watching that scene again! Yikes. I thought I was watching Sex and the City again for a second....and I agree, perfect casting!

Could be...but why would Niobe then try to pass off the baby as her daughter's? Lucius has been gone for years, he'd never know if her sister had the baby or didn't. Hmm...this is turning into a soap opera!
    Yeah, who knows. Perhaps...Niobe agreed to mother the child, had the hubby fall in love with her, went through the pregnancy, couldn't just give up her baby, but also couldn't afford to pay back the surrogacy fee and is simply nursing the child until he can be weaned?!? Something is up, because I distinctly heard her sister say something about not having held her part of the bargain(or something to that effect), and look over at the child at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdobolina
    Something is up, because I distinctly heard her sister say something about not having held her part of the bargain(or something to that effect), and look over at the child at the same time.
    Well I missed that part! I really need to watch this one over again...

The fourth episode of Rome won me over to the series all over again, from its lyrical title ("Stealing From Saturn") to the final shot of Caesar kneeling before the chief auger, a tiny grin on his face as his machinations cemented his reputation in the minds of the Roman people.

What was there not to like? I find myself trying to refrain from gushing.

Let's start with the introduction of Quintus Pompey, dispatched to locate his father's stolen gold shipment. The despicable, frightening and possibly sociopathic Quintus is a villain worthy of a Quentin Tarantino film.

I was also captivated by the juxtaposition of Rome's two classes, shown at Atiaís lavish soiree and Lucius' party, pretty much an ancient backyard barbecue.

Then come the revelations, from the identity of the father of Niobe's baby, to the coverup of Caesar's epilepsy (akin to the coverup of Roosevelt's polio and, fictionally, Pres. Bartlet's MS in The West Wing), to Atia and Servilia's feelings for Caesar.

I was only vaguely disappointed by one scene, and it was Caesar's generosity toward Titus Pullo. I don't want to see my favorite character crucified (literally), but at the same time, Titus' knack for dumb luck (selected for the impossible task of recovering the Eagle and retrieving it, finding and stabbing the man who wronged him in a barfight and mistakenly credited for saving Marc Antony's life, finding the gold shipment and then spared Caesar's punishment) paints him in a Forrest Gump light. This isn't how I want to continue to see Titus.

Overall, this was a very capable episode, allowing us to feel pathos for even the most wretched characters, as well as asking us once again whether Julius Caesar is one of history's great heroes...or one of its worst dictators.

Here's hoping the next episode can continue to deliver more of the same.
    Last edited by phat32; 09-21-2005 at 07:10 PM.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Well I missed that part! I really need to watch this one over again...

Ooops! Sorry waywyrd...I just watched the scene again and I totally misread it the first time. Niobe's sister was just angry at her hubby and Niobe.

Yes, I don't always pay full attention

FORT Newbie

What that guy was doing to Mark Antony

PhoneGrrrl, I can't remember if he was epileptic either...I'll have to do some searching and find out. Maybe it was just something HBO added for drama?

Yes, he was epileptic.

And can someone tell me what on earth that guy was doing to Marcus Anthony in the courtyard, while he was standing there naked talking to Lucius? He was running something across his back...some kind of razor perhaps?
    It's a kind of squeegee that the Romans used to cleanse themselves. The baths were for relaxation and socializing more like a great big hot tub. They didn't have bathing soap. What they did to clean themselves before getting in the bath was to cover themselves with oil then have someone, a slave if one could afford it, scrape the oil off of them, taking the dirt and excess body oils with it. Water doesn't really clean you by itself because oil doesn't dissolve into water. That's why we use soap.

+ Reply to Thread