+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Rome (on HBO)

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd
    There's going to be more than one season? I thought there were only 12 shows in the series...more would be great!
    That was just wishful thinking on my part, waywyrd. It seems like the show is doing really well - at least from what I've read - so I think the only thing that would prevent a second season would be the budget, which I read was pretty large.

I'll have to go back and watch the previews for next week! I don't know if they show them when you watch the episode on OnDemand - I could pause it and really get a good look.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

For anyone who has OnDemand: I just went to watch episode 2 again OnDemand and they already have episode 3 available to watch! I think it's probably a mistake and I don't know how long it will be before someone realizes it, but I thought I'd post this just in case it's going to be taken off soon. I have Comcast, so it might be different with other cable companies. For once, the stupidity of Comcast has some benefits!

Of course, I watched episode 3 immediately and of course, it was incredible! The only down side: now I have to wait TWO weeks for a new episode!

There's also an option with OnDemand to watch the episodes with commentary - I'll watch those later. Maybe there's some commentary that gives some historical conext. God, I'm such a nerd
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Critical
    Of course, I watched episode 3 immediately and of course, it was incredible! The only down side: now I have to wait TWO weeks for a new episode!
    Now look what you've done: You'll have to wait a week before you can discuss the episode with anyone. +

I bet you opened your Christmas presents early, too, and had nothing on Christmas morning?

There's also an option with OnDemand to watch the episodes with commentary - I'll watch those later. Maybe there's some commentary that gives some historical conext. God, I'm such a nerd
    Way ahead of you there, Crit: http://heraklia.fws1.com/

This is a wonderful site, and covers the period in the show--offers insight into the period before Caesar and the one during his, well, you know, untimely demise.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    I bet you opened your Christmas presents early, too, and had nothing on Christmas morning?
    NooooOOOO!

Anyway, you'd have done the same thing! I'll just keep my special knowledge to myself until after the episode airs. (wishing we still had the :phht smiley!)

Cool website - thanks! SO - based on the timeline on that site, we're already in the year 49 BC. Three years in two episodes doesn't bode well for Caesar. He'll be dead by week 5! Hopefully, they'll settle in and tell the story at a little slower pace. I like Ciaran Hinds too much to see him go so soon.

I definitely have to take a Roman History class! I focused so much on Russia/Eastern Europe and Britain that I never did get much ancient Greece or Rome.

BTW - good stuff with your man Pullo in the next episode!

Quote Originally Posted by Critical
    I'll just keep my special knowledge to myself until after the episode airs. (wishing we still had the :phht smiley!)
    Is the father of Niobe's baby Brutus? (I can't believe I'm getting into this like it's a soap opera.) I watched the "next episode" blurb (in slow motion, no less), and it looked like that weasel Brutus to me. (Tell me he doesn't look like a human weasel.)

Cool website - thanks!
    If you click on "Contemporaries," you'll see biographies for Marius and Sulla, two of my favorite figures from that period.

SO - based on the timeline on that site, we're already in the year 49 BC. Three years in two episodes doesn't bode well for Caesar. He'll be dead by week 5!

I definitely have to take a Roman History class! I focused so much on Russia/Eastern Europe and Britain that I never did get much ancient Greece or Rome.
    Roman History was the densest History course I took for my History minor. I think there's simply too much ground to cover in one semester.

(FYI, professor told these great stories that sparked my interest. As a result, I started reading Colleen McCullough's Rome series, discovered there was a, shall we say, one-to-one correlation between what I was reading and what we were hearing in class and brought it to the attention of the professor. It was the only "C" I took in college. Coincidence? I think not, Crit...I...think...not. )

BTW - good stuff with your man Pullo in the next episode!
    Tease.

ETA: By the way, speaking of m'man Pullo, did you notice the title of the second episode was "How Titus Pullo Brought Down the Republic"?

When you first saw that title, did you also think "How Titus Pullo Got His Groove Back"? No? Just me, then.
    Last edited by phat32; 09-06-2005 at 02:17 AM.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    Is the father of Niobe's baby Brutus? (I can't believe I'm getting into this like it's a soap opera.) I watched the "next episode" blurb (in slow motion, no less), and it looked like that weasel Brutus to me. (Tell me he doesn't look like a human weasel.)
    Okay, the father of Niobe's baby
    Click to see Spoiler:
    is not Brutus. In fact, I didn't recognize him at all. The father showed up wanting to see the baby and they had a discussion about how they thought Vorenus was dead and she asked the father to leave. I'm sure that's not the end of that
    . ITA - how funny is it that we're so into this show? I actually went to ONDemand in order to do the same thing: play the preview for next week in slo-mo! Instead, I got to see the whole episode!

Yes, my friend. Brutus does, in fact, resemble a large rodent in human form.

Roman History was the densest History course I took for my History minor. I think there's simply too much ground to cover in one semester.
    The Roman History class at my last university was notorious for being one of the hardest in the department. I'll have to do some asking around before I sign up for the class here.

Robert Graves' Claudius books really hooked me in. Some people I've talked to thought they were confusing, but I couldn't stop reading them.

ETA: By the way, speaking of m'man Pullo, did you notice the title of the second episode was "How Titus Pullo Brought Down the Republic"?
    I wondered that before the episode started and was thinking "Huh?" After the fight, I was just waiting for something to happen. As soon as I saw that guy in the crowd, I knew what would happen.

As for Titus Pullo getting his groove back:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    He does. Big time

This show is AWESOME!!!! I think I like it more than Deadwood...simply because I am able to follow what the heck is going on more than I am on Deadwood. I have to keep rewinding DW to figure out exactly what Al or whoever is talking about half the time.

Now, I'm no history nerd like Critical or Phat--but that is what I like about these HBO shows that dramatize history...I immediately go online and research and learn about what actually happened when I watch a show like this.

ITA about the cast and the characters...they are all superb! I really enjoy Marc Antony, I think Pullo is great(man, that bar fight was a great scene! And I couldn't even watch when the doctor was treating him...gross!) Vorenius, IMO, is the good guy on the show, and he is really well acted. And of course Caesar is very charismatic.

And I watched ep 2 in HIGH DEFINITION this week! The colors pop, the detail is so perfect, and ancient Rome looks spectacular!!!
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

I, too, am totally hooked on this show. I love the historical aspect but I also really like the entertainment value. I think the blend is spot on and find myself looking forward to Sundays in Rome!
    Wag more, bark less

Episode 3 was great! I cracked up when Pullo was giving romantic advice...that was priceless. I can't believe he rode off with the cart full of gold! And Atia....the woman is ruthless. How could she have her daughter's husband killed like that?

I'm not up on my history like I used to be...why on earth would Pompey just abandon Rome? What a stupid move...
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

I caught up with all three over the weekend. Two thumbs up! The first episode started off slow but got in to a good groove.

+ Reply to Thread