+ Reply to Thread
Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: Rome (on HBO)

Quote Originally Posted by biggbaddgirl;2286589;
    Another great episode. I seriously wanted to smack Antony through the tv last night. The power of a woman eh...
    Agreed, I love this show , sorry it will be leaving us soon. I didnt know Antony was so submissive.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by William13;2286998;
    Someone as politically astute as Octavian would not have waited so long, it would have been too dangerous.
    I guess "Mr. Politically Astute" was too distracted by being slapped around by his wife!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

At least Livia didn't make Octavian wear make-up and hide inside.

I hope that Vorenus's children have a happy ending, but I have a hard time picturing what that might be.
    "The sun rose promptly at dawn."
    Tom Clancy in his novel The Teeth of the Tiger

Quote Originally Posted by Boston_Bill;2287066;
    Agreed, I love this show , sorry it will be leaving us soon. I didnt know Antony was so submissive.
    I liked Vorenus' explanation, that Anthony had a sickness. I thought it was hilarious when they dressed him up in that purple sundress-looking thing. I would have thought after all those years of debauchery Anthony would have looked more bloated, however. Loved the makeup.

They did a great job of making the Egyptian culture seem disgusting and depraved in contrast to Rome, starting with that horrible language in Vorenus' dream. It was as creepy as the backwards talk from Twin Peaks.

I love that Vorenus stayed a true Roman, although of all the men on the show I find Pullo the most attractive. All the murders he's done have not made him "hard." He still has a sense of humor and heart, not to mention the actor is very attractive.

Quote Originally Posted by William13;2288666;
    I hope that Vorenus's children have a happy ending, but I have a hard time picturing what that might be.
    Vorenus' children are sick too, eaten up with resentment over their mother's death and blaming their father for it. So how could they be happy?

Okay, I'm about 15 minutes into the series finale and I'm already getting a sinking feeling that either Pullo or Vorenus will be dead by the end....maybe by the other's hand.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I had forgotten that in this version of history Pullo was Caesarion's real father. Too bad that the kid was so annoying. Otherwise this might have been considered a happy ending. I have a hard time imagining that he would be able or willing to hide his background for long.
    At least Vorenus made it home so that he could be reconciled with his kids.
    Atia remained a nasty piece of work right up to the end. At no time has she shown any concern for anyone but herself. I know that Anthony's demise would be upsetting to her, but you would think that she would feel something for her son becoming the most powerful man in Rome.

Quote Originally Posted by William13;2296883;
    Atia remained a nasty piece of work right up to the end. At no time has she shown any concern for anyone but herself. I know that Anthony's demise would be upsetting to her, but you would think that she would feel something for her son becoming the most powerful man in Rome.
    Well, you know I'll disagree with you on that. This season has been a bit different with all of the characters, but in the first season especially, Atia did almost everything for her children and their future. Even when it seemed cut throat to anyone else - like having Octavia's husband killed - she was doing it for the good of her children (and, of course for herself as well). While Octavian wanted to write poetry, she made sure he learned more about the workings of the government and how to be a man (that latter courtesy of Pullo). I think she was so overcome with grief over Antony that she wasn't really thinking as much about Octavian. Plus, she was still probably angry with him over his manipulation. Then again, he did learn from the best

I absolutely LOVED her dressing-down of Octavian's little wife. I cheered when Atia said that better women than her had tried to destroy her and that SHE wouldn't walk behind anyone.

The scenes with Antony's death and Vorenus dressing his body had me bawling, as did the final scenes with Pullo and Vorenus. Every time those two called each other "brother," I would get all verklempt. I'm happy at least that Vorenus was able to say goodbye to his children. I do think it was a happy ending for Pullo and his son. You know Pullo would knock him into line eventually and the boy is better of with Pullo than with his mother. At least he'd be safer.

Without Antony and Vorenus, I wouldn't want to see a third season. Although Pullo and Atia are probably my two favorite characters, it was their interactions with the other characters (most of whom are all dead now! ) that made the show for me. Simon Woods (Octavian) definitely isn't a strong enough actor to carry the show. Yes, Octavian is supposed to be cold and calculating, but I can't help imagining Max Pirkis doing it so much better. Even when he was being cold, there was an intensity behind it that I found lacking in Simon Woods.

So, when does the season 2 DVD come out?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

My favorite character of all was Marc Antony and I love James Purefoy's interpretation. He made Antony a womanizing man's man who fell so in love with Cleopatra, it destroyed him. The real Antony must have been something to have women like Atia and Cleopatra fall so in love with him and I think Purefoy made him a powerful Alpha male that women just naturally gravitated toward.

Vorenus and Pullo - I tended to favor the intense blond Vorenus over the amiable Pullo, but the story was really about their relationship played against the backdrop of Rome's politics. They were probably fictional characters, but I enjoyed their stories the most.

I think Simon Woods did a very credible job as Octavius and he actually looks a lot like statues I've seen of the real guy. He did portray him as very cold and calculating, but he had grown that way over time. The younger actor had more intensity and fire because he was young and hadn't yet been hardened toward life.

And, best of all - Atia. She was wonderful - so self absorbed, self centered, and sociopathic . . but she really loved Antony. He was her waterloo. Does anyone know when she died?

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    This story could definitely, still, move forward. I am so disappointed at the series being over.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Critical:
    We are never going to see eye to eye on this, so there is no point in trying to convince each other, so I am not saying this to convince you. If Atia, as portrayed, had gotten her way, Marc Anthony would have been ruler of Rome (until he in turn was assassinated) and Octavian would never have lived long enough to inherit anything. Atia may have made Octavia study politics, but she so constantly belittled him that she never accepted him as a man and forced him into becoming the cold, calculating person he became.
    Atia may have been grieving Anthony, but she had lost him a long time previously to Cleopatra. You enjoyed Atia putting down Livia, while I enjoyed imagining Livia getting her revenge - and despite Atia's tough talk I have no doubt that Livia would eventually win - just think who her son was.
    I would have loved another season, but since Octavian was more an administrator than a warrior it would not have made for compelling television to anyone other than history geeks. Still, they didn't have to kill off Vorenus and with him and Pullo and Octavian and Livia I am sure that they could have come up with more stories, if the series had not been so expensive to make.
    SPQR

+ Reply to Thread