+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 28 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: Rome (on HBO)

Critical - it's funny that we should have such contrasting reactions. I can't stand this version of Atia, but I found the feud between her and Servilia interesting. And yet I couldn't tell you why I liked Servilia and not Atia.
    "The sun rose promptly at dawn."
    Tom Clancy in his novel The Teeth of the Tiger

William, I think my feelings about Atia have a lot to do with the fact that I'm a huge fan of Polly Walker. Plus, it has always seemed to me that Atia does things to protect herself and her children (at least until recently) and that Servilia was doing things to get revenge. Plus, I just hated how whiny and needy she was about Caesar. I like Lindsay Duncan as an actress, but I just did not like Servilia.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    I now get why they went the way they did with the new actor playing Octavian. He's turned that pompous-Head Boy-at-Eaton vibe into something useful to portray the newly moralistic Octavian. Putting Atia and Octavia under house arrest, essentially, for fooling around with Marc Antony and Agrippa was a bit much for a guy who had sex with his sister, and it would have been quite unbelievable if Max Pirkis had been playing the character.

I really want that evil slave beyotch to get her due for killing Eirene. Pullo better find out in the next 2 episodes what she was up to and she too can get an axe in the head.

I know, Phonegrrl. I HATE that slave now. I bawled through all of the scenes of Eirene dying and then Pullo and Vorenus burying her. I really hope Pullo finds out and exacts retribution.

I actually got chills over the last two lines of the episode:
    "Antony"...."Cleopatra." Can't wait to see the chemistry between those two explode. Both actors are very charismatic and James Purefoy seems to have sexual chemistry with everyone....except for Keri Condon who is (unfortunately) playing his wife! The scene with Antony and Atia saying goodbye through that line of Octavian's soldiers was so poignant. I'm going to hate seeing her destroyed when he chooses Cleopatra.

I can't believe there are only two more episodes left! I want another season. Really though, at this rate, who'd be alive for a third season? I don't think the new Octavian is compelling enough to carry so much of the show and who knows who else will bite the dust in the next two episodes?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

They seemed to have forgotten the fact that both Octavian and Livia were married when they met, that Octavian had numerous adulterous affairs and that Octavian divorced his first wife on the day that she delivered Octavian's daughter. I mention this because they made Octavian look more noble than they hypocrite that he really was and because I believe that it was extremely unlikely that Octavian could shame Anthony into leaving Rome. I doubt if anything could shame Anthony, but I guess that they had to find a reason for him to leave for Egypt.
    I have no idea why Anthony would want to take Vorenus with him. Since his wife died Vorenus has bungled everything that he has tried to do.
    Even though I love almost anything to do with ancient Rome, the character of Cleopatra is an exception. I am interested in Egypt, but just not her. I hope that the final 2 episodes are not just one long love story.
    I wonder how they will end the series.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Whew! I finally just got caught up with the episodes last night! The acting in this series is nothing short of amazing. Can't believe that this is coming to a close. That just seems wrong. I am still processing what all I have seen. Pullo and the slave wench, Eirene's ordeal, Servillia's suicide, Octavian's muscle-flexing, etc. It's going to take a little time to, mentally work through all of this. Amazing! This is one time when ignorance is, indeed, bliss. I can just see what is placed before me on the screen, and I don't have to wrestle between what they've shown me and what really happened.

I really hated history in school. I think the teachers made it as boring as, humanly, possible.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Well, I guess Gaia finally got hers, didn't she? The look on Pullo's face as he choked her said everything.

I know that I'm supposed to hate Antony, especially after what he did to my beloved Atia (even though I guess he did save her life since Cleopatra wanted to kill her), but I can't help finding him just dead sexy, eyeliner and all. James Purefoy and the actress playing Cleopatra have so much chemistry.

I can't believe we only have one episode left. Did anyone else notice that the preview said series finale instead of just season finale? Looks like they're really stopping at two seasons

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    I, too, noticed the "series finale" notation. I just don't get how they can stop now. Our boy, Antony, was whipped by the drugs and the "you-know-what-y"! Cleo even had him wearing eyeliner and dressing like a little witch, with a capital 'B'!! Gaia was the female version of Pullo, unfortunately, with an extra dose of conniving on the side. Did you notice how Octavian's wife had him pulled into line, and flipped his own script on him? So much for his, "I may abuse you in the future" line.

I cannot believe that they are going to pull the plug on this right now. They snatched 'Carnivale', they snatched 'Deadwood'...I give up. HBO has been a serious disappointment to me in the past few years.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Another great episode. I seriously wanted to smack Antony through the tv last night. The power of a woman eh...

If Egypt was the only source of grain for Rome, I think that Octavian would have acted before it became a crisis situation and the people were on the verge of revolt. Trips to Egypt were neither easy nor quick. By the time the ship carrying Octavia and Atia got to Egypt and back, the situation would have been even more critical and yet the population seemed calmer. Arranging a fleet to send an army to Egypt would take a very long time. Someone as politically astute as Octavian would not have waited so long, it would have been too dangerous.

I was glad to see Anthony refuse to even see Atia. It was good to see her not get her own way for once. Sorry, Critical, but I really can't stand her - the character, not the actress.

+ Reply to Thread