+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: Rome (on HBO)

my favorite line in the show this week "If you have to Urinate, now would be the time" by Antony. I have so much love for him.

Great episiode, a bit on the bloody side, but war is bloody. Two whole weeks without Rome may have me going thorough withdrawl.

This whole season, the straying from history has nagged at me. I thought that the obvious attempt to make the death of Brutus similar to that of Julius Caesar was just silly. I don't agree that committing suicide was a cowardly act. Suicide was considered a noble death in Roman times- allowing himself to be taken prisoner would have disgraced him and his family. Brutus thought that he was doing the honorable thing in assassinating a dictator. He would not have wanted to disgrace his family by allowing himself to be taken prisoner.
    Cassius's suicide was more disgraceful. According to one ancient historian he committed suicide after he lost his part of the battle, but after learning that Brutus had succeeded and the battle was not completely lost. He simply gave up.
    They also made Cicero seem more brave than he really was. He was running away (not finishing a letter or speech) when the soldiers caught up to him.
    I know that I am in a minority but I much prefer the new Octavian. I can't see him turning into Brian Blessed, but at least he doesn't seem like a pouty little boy.
    I did not find this episode very compelling at all. Most of it just seemed to be filling time until the Battle of Philippi.
    "The sun rose promptly at dawn."
    Tom Clancy in his novel The Teeth of the Tiger

I will be really sad to see this show end in March. I think this show is such an interesting and 'real' show that doesn't use nudity just for the sake of it (most of the time ).
    I enjoyed the episode, but I didn't realize how much it deviated from actual history. That's pretty disappointing.

I am going to miss the show, too. Even though the deviations from history nagged at me, I tried to view it as a soap opera set in ancient Rome. I wonder how they will end it - if they are going to take it to Octavian's final defeat of Anthony they are going to have to cover 12 years of history in a few episodes. If they aren't going to take the story that far, it's going to seem as if they are cutting off in the middle of the story. Too bad that HBO didn't allow a 3rd season.

There actually is a petition out there somewhere demanding a 3rd season. I think there was a link to it somewhere in the community section of the official HBO site. I'd love to see a 3rd season as long as the deviation from fact didn't get even more obvious. They're already half-way through the season, so they will have to speed things up to get to a good stopping point in the season.

I can understand that, from a narrative perspective, the way they killed Brutus is more "neat," but it still annoyed me.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;2250741;
    There actually is a petition out there somewhere demanding a 3rd season. I think there was a link to it somewhere in the community section of the official HBO site. I'd love to see a 3rd season as long as the deviation from fact didn't get even more obvious. They're already half-way through the season, so they will have to speed things up to get to a good stopping point in the season.

I can understand that, from a narrative perspective, the way they killed Brutus is more "neat," but it still annoyed me.
    D'oh, they just have to have another season!!

As for Brutus, all those swords going through him reminded me of the sticks going through the cylinder in that game, was it Kerplunk? -- anyone remember that game?

Well, maybe it's a good thing they're not planning on a third season. The characters are dropping like flies! Pretty soon there won't be anyone left. This episode was filled with surprises. I gasped when Servilia killed herself. I'm not sure what I thought she was going to do but it definitely wasn't that. Then Antony marrying Octavia Poor Atia and Agrippa having to watch their lovers marry someone else. I don't know who I felt more sorry for in the whole scenario. Octavian is sure turning out to be a master schemer.

Pullo's stock went WAY down with me this week. I didn't like that slave to begin with and now that she's manipulated both Vorenus and Pullo I really don't like her. Maybe she'll be the next one to bite the dust.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

They killed off my favourite character, but at least she went out in a blaze of glory. (In real life she died of natural causes). I am not sure that I can handle Atia without Servilia to act as a counterweight. Maybe we will see more affects from Servilia's curse.
    I was really looking forward Pullo beating that slave. I can't stand her. Pullo's stock went way down with me as well.

William - Servilia was your favorite, she was my least-favorite! I was cheering when she died! You're right though - she was a good counter-weight to Atia. Historically, I think Servilia lived well into old age (whatever that was by Roman standards) and Atia died not long after Octavian gained power. I guess, in this case, I don't mind them diverging from actual events.

After next week I think we'll be hating that slave even more. I hope Eirene doesn't die.

I intensely dislike her character and I don't know if it's the actress doing a really great job of playing the slave, or if it's the actress herself. But I really hope nothing bad will happen, though I'm sure something will to at least the baby.

+ Reply to Thread