+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: Rome (on HBO)

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    I usually love everything about this show, but I'm not liking the new Octavian guy. Octavian went from being rather crafty and sharp (although very young) to a slight bit older, somewhat smart, and really petulant and kind of whiny.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl;2238643;
    I usually love everything about this show, but I'm not liking the new Octavian guy. Octavian went from being rather crafty and sharp (although very young) to a slight bit older, somewhat smart, and really petulant and kind of whiny.

I agree. I long for the other Octavian.

I feel quite the opposite. This Octavian is a lot more believable to me. I can't picture the old Octavian (who looked many years younger) convincing a handful of people following him, let along intimidating the Senate into making him consul. The new one is a lot less personable, but I think that is the way that he is supposed to be now that he has adopted the "Caesar" persona.

I am finding it hard to care about the Vorenus storyline. Last season he was a tough, strict Centurion. This year, he was made a captain of a gang by Anthony to keep the peace. He managed to create a gang war, which it looked like he was losing since his area was destroyed. Then Anthony brought him with his army (while the gang war was still going on). Anthony lets him out of the army for personal reasons. He rescues his family from a slave camp (I guess they don't have guards, since 2 lightly armed men came in, killed the camp commandant and just walked out again) and then goes back to his gang and negotiates a truce. Who the heck would listen to this guy?
    Vorenus has never been likable; now he is not even interesting. It didn't matter so much last season, because the story of Julius Caesar is so familiar that I enjoyed the subplots. This year every time the show goes focuses on Vorenus, I want to get back to Octavian. I want to see how this young man from the country, with poor health, with no political experience and no military ability managed to out-maneuver everyone else to become Emperor.
    "The sun rose promptly at dawn."
    Tom Clancy in his novel The Teeth of the Tiger

I'm missing Max Pirkis too I understand that he is too young to play this portion of Octavian's life, but the new actor just isn't up to snuff. Maybe it's because I've sort of "bonded" with Max in the character, but I just don't feel anything for the new Octavian. The new actor is playing him a little too detached and cold. You would never believe that this Octavian could be seduced by anyone, much less his sister. I'm trying to keep an open mind - maybe he'll grow on me.

These last few weeks have been good for bearded eye candy. Brutus in the river? I was sitting here going "Good LORD! How you doin'?" Then Marc Antony last night. Wow. When he came out of the tent with Atia, wearing the furs over his uniform, I swooned.

Is it just me or has David Bamber (Cicero) lost weight? I wonder if he's just trimming down or if he's ill. I also wonder if the real Cicero was that much of a weasel - anyone know? I do enjoy how he jumps and twitches in Marc Antony's presence. I did enjoy Octavian in that scene when he ordered Cicero to step away from his chair in the senate.

My crush on Pullo is increasing weekly. His talk with Eirene about how he'd save her before Vorenus and how he calls her "princess" = more swooning.

ETA: William, I liked Vorenus more last season My favorite scenes were the last ones with him and Niobe when they went to bless the land.... that must have been in the last episode of season 1. He had become a person instead of just a soldier. I think that all the pain he's been through has just turned him into a brute. It's like he and Pullo have traded places. I'm waiting for him to be redeemed.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Last night at the end of the show, they showed Vorenus' daughter making a sign with her hand behind her back. I didn't understand what that meant. Did I miss something? It seemed significant because they zoomed in on it, so I'm hoping someone can please explain it to me.

I think that was the sign of the devil. Maybe it's the Roman equivalent to crossing your fingers behind your back.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Critical;2239322;
    I think that was the sign of the devil. Maybe it's the Roman equivalent to crossing your fingers behind your back.

That's what I was thinking.

Okay, I was reading much more into it than I needed to. Your answers make much more sense and are so much simpler.

Oooooo, I HATED what they did to Brutus tonight! This is the first time that I've been annoyed by the show not sticking to history. In reality, there were two battles at Philippi. After the second one, Brutus retreated and then committed suicide. The death they gave him in the show made him seem braver and more honorable. I do understand that it created a nice symmetry with his death and Caesar's, but it still annoys me.

I'm still not warming up to the new Octavian, but he really wasn't in this episode enough for me to change my opinion of him.

I'm happy to see Cicero out of the picture. David Bamber really did look very gaunt in this episode. I hope he's okay.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    I think with that if this is as far as they intended to go with the new Octavian's look, they could have stayed with Max Pirkis. I was really expecting more of a change in maturity and manliness.

Also, I was sure that Brutus was going to "fall on his sword" last night, or at least have one of his own men kill him (but then I thought that might have been thought cowardly). Brutus was such a delicate, nervous llittle fellow in this show.

I enjoyed this episode, tremendously. I loved the "I'm plegnant."

I was fully expecting Agrippa to drop to one knee and propopse to Octavia after they got out of bed. She has him completely wrapped around her little finger...thank goodness she loves him.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread