+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 28 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: Rome (on HBO)

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;2214608;
    It was great when Vorenus "held court" and explained to Erastus Foreman's thug fraternity that there was a new sheriff in town! Loved it when Marc Antony whipped the tar out of Octavian...Great Episode!!

Got the loan shark's last name wrong. It's "Fulmen". I guess I'm hearing in/and using my southern accent!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I can't get over the fact that Octavian looks so young. To me it's hard to take him seriously.

I am also noticing more this year that they aren't sticking to known history.

He's supposed to be 18 at this point. Now that he has left the city, I'm sure the older actor is coming back.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Octavian may supposed to be 18, but he doesn't look it to me. Agrippa does look like an 18 year old. I was starting to wonder if he was going to show up at some point.
    The transition from Octavian forming a rival army to Anthony's to the 2 armies joining up to fight Brutus and Cassius seemed rather abrupt.
    "The sun rose promptly at dawn."
    Tom Clancy in his novel The Teeth of the Tiger

I agree. Octavian looks more like 16. I thought Agrippa looked older than 18. If you've missed any of the first 3 episodes for this season, they will be showing them all on Friday evening!

I have a historical question since my knowledge of ancient Rome is pretty limited. Is the poisoning (or attempted since we haven't seen the result) a historical event or a tv plot point?

I'm fairly certain it's a plot point. From what I've read about the real Atia, most of the character on this show is fiction.

Max Pirkis (Octavian) is 17. I think we are so used to seeing much older actors playing teenagers that we (or at least, I) forget how young boys that age can really look. The new Octavian is a good deal older than Max and I've not seen him in anything before. I'm reserving judgment on the new actor, but I will really miss Max.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

There is no historical account of how Atia died, but she did die about a year after Julius Caesar's assassination, shortly after Octavian was elected Consul (despite being way too young).
    Octavian was not actually in Rome at the time of the assassination and after being named Caesar's heir, he raised an army and marched on Rome. Octavius's father was long dead, but had remarried - I may be wrong but I don't think that Octavius's stepfather was mentioned during the series.

They will probably kill of Atia to be true to history, but what a shame to lose the wonderful actress who plays her as such a deliciously flawed character. James Purefoy is wonderful as Marc Antony and just gets better each week. I really look forward to this show. One comment though - it will be strange to suddenly go from the very young Octavian (Max Pirkis) to an actor who is quite a bit older and looks it, unless he is supposed to age several years before he re-enters the show.

Thanks, I wasn't sure if it was creative licence or not. I agree though, it will be a shame to lose her from the show, if they do indeed kill her off. She's a great actress, especially in this part.

+ Reply to Thread