+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Rome (on HBO)

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd
    I loved it too, Critical! It doesn't hurt that I've always been fascinated by ancient Roman history. I thought it was filmed beautifully, and I loved Atia (I think that was her name?)...this is a series I can definitely get into!
    Atia is played by Polly Walker. She is fab, I agree. I've loved her ever since Enchanted April, which is still one of my favorite films. She seems born to play that role. If I had a bod like that (and she's got a few years on me), I'd be naked in every scene! This show is going to become like crack for me! One episode is over and I'm already jonesing for the next!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I admit I enjoyed the first episode of Rome. But I'm STILL mad about HBO canceling Carnivale!

I was disappointed at first that Rome would be concentrating on the Julius Caesar era. But they (so far) have managed to add in historical characters I haven't seen before and the realism is pretty good.

Atia? Wow, I don't know what to say.

I enjoyed every minute of it and looking forward to Ep. #2.

Episode 2 premieres tonight! I can't remember the last time I was this excited about a show!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by Critical
    I'm sort of disappointed that Ciaran Hinds is playing Caesar. I love him. Anyone know how many episodes he will be doing before well... you know? (don't want to spoil it for those who don't know their Roman history!).
    That may be a FoRT first: having to put a point of ancient history in a spoiler tag.

Quote Originally Posted by Waywyrd
    I thought it was filmed beautifully, and I loved Atia (I think that was her name?)...
    I agree, Polly Walker is great. She's a better hate-to-love-her/love-to-hate-her character than Janice on The Sopranos.

Quote Originally Posted by Outlast
    I was disappointed at first that Rome would be concentrating on the Julius Caesar era. But they (so far) have managed to add in historical characters I haven't seen before and the realism is pretty good.
    Whenever I hear about a new production on Roman history, I always keep my fingers crossed for the Gaius Marius/Sulla era, but I'm always bitterly disappointed. x 100

Episode 2 premieres tonight! I can't remember the last time I was this excited about a show!
    *blows little whistle* and says, "Formation, Critical!"

45 minutes until Ep. 2 for me.

I liked the premiere a lot, too. Caesar was fantastic, along with Atia and even Octavian crawled out from under his mother's shadow long enough to show a cunning military mind. I can't wait to see what they have in store for him.

My favorite character, though, is Pullo. Man, where did they find this guy? He's fantastic! If someone owed me ten bucks and wouldn't pay me back, I'd send Pullo to collect.

If this show takes off, I foresee great things for him in Hollywood.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

I've watched the first 2 episodes and just couldn't get into it. It seemed to me at least, like it was trying to be Deadwood, set in ancient Rome. I'm gonna give it one more week, bit with the new TV season starting soon, if it doesn't pick up it won't be that big a lose for me

Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    That may be a FoRT first: having to put a point of ancient history in a spoiler tag.
    Really. I'd hate to ruin the series for someone and have them not watch the rest of the series 'cause I blew the big story!

*blows little whistle* and says, "Formation, Critical!"
    *Jumps into formation and salutes* "Yes SIR!" <---- pretend he's saluting

Another great episode! I love everything about this show from the opening credits all the way through! I just KNEW Niobe was hiding something! Still, that was a great moment at the end with the baby. Wonder who the father is.

Loved Mark Antony's "interactions" with Atia. The scene with Octavia imitating her mother's "screams" was hilarious. James Purefoy is playing the character just right, imho. Plus, he's pretty.

ITA about Pullo, Phat He's terrific. I also like the guy playing Lucius Vorenus - I think the actor's name is Kevin McKidd. Really though, I think the whole cast is terrific.

And now begins another week of waiting until the next episode!

*Taps foot waiting for Phat's review of episode 2.*

Okay, I just went and checked out the official site at hbo.com and they already have wallpaper, screensavers and a browser skin for Firefox. Of course, I didn't download anything
    Last edited by Critical; 09-05-2005 at 12:34 AM.

Really. I'd hate to ruin the series for someone and have them not watch the rest of the series 'cause I blew the big story!
    Yeah. I'm guessing it's not looking too good for Signor Caesar around, oh, the middle of March or so.

Click to see Spoiler:
    Unless, of course, they decide to go Hollywood and give us a "Director's Cut" version: "Look, baby, it's depressing! Nobody wants to see the hero die! What if, I don't know, instead of killing Caesar, they accidentally kill Atia, and Caesar goes on a Death Wish type vendetta against the Roman senators? We can have great revenge quotes, baby! 'Cross the Rubicon, Cicero? Cross THIS...!' Just picture it!"

*Jumps into formation and salutes* "Yes SIR!" <---- pretend he's saluting
    (<--- salutes back) No, no, Critical, you're supposed to call me a drunken fool and punch me in the face, knocking my helmet off.

Another great episode! I love everything about this show from the opening credits all the way through! I just KNEW Niobe was hiding something! Still, that was a great moment at the end with the baby. Wonder who the father is.
    ITA about that final minute.

As for the father of Niobe's baby, I don't know, Morpheus, maybe? (Just kidding. That's a little Matrix humor for you, there. Uh, very little...)

At the risk of sounding completely sexist, this was my thinking on Niobe. She thinks that Lucius is dead. The money hasn't been coming in. I could be completely wrong, and if I am wrong, I'm going to be very red-faced, but maybe Niobe has been prostituting herself to keep her family solvent...? Just a guess.

Loved Mark Antony's "interactions" with Atia. The scene with Octavia imitating her mother's "screams" was hilarious. James Purefoy is playing the character just right, imho. Plus, he's pretty.
    Antony is great--the right combination of lech and charisma. I thoroughly enjoyed the scenes where he spoke on Caesar's behalf with Pompey and the senators. You begin to understand why Caesar--a military genius--holds Antony in such high regard, and why he would elect Antony to speak on his behalf.

In that scene, Antony emerges as a brilliant politician and not only as just the guy who will hold up the 13th Legion because a farmer's daughter in Gaul caught his eye.

ITA about Pullo, Phat He's terrific. I also like the guy playing Lucius Vorenus - I think the actor's name is Kevin McKidd. Really though, I think the whole cast is terrific.
    ITA about the cast.
    *Taps foot waiting for Phat's review of episode 2.*
    In no particular order:

-I liked the first episode, but I suppose you'll have a series of throat clearing as the principal characters are established along with the setting and the primary conflicts. I liked this second episode a great deal better than the first since a lot of the foundation-laying is out of the way.

-I liked everything about it, but the main scenes that stand out to me are: the senatorial vote against Caesar, Atia dining with Lucius and Pullo, Pullo the one-person barfight (), Pullo telling Niobe how much Lucius loves her...well, I could go on and on.

It was a great episode, and of course, who can forget the scene of Caesar crossing the Rubicon? Who can watch it without shivers running down his or her spine, knowing that they've just re-enacted one of the truly grand events in history, a scene that you know, after this, nothing is ever quite the same again? (And, of course, when I saw the Rubicon, even before it was named, I knew what they were portraying, but at the same time, I thought, "That's it? That's the Rubicon?? That ain't no Rubicon! That's a stream!")

Long wait for next Sunday, indeed.
    Last edited by phat32; 09-05-2005 at 01:33 AM.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Okay, not to be a complete dork or anything (yeah right), but I checked out more info about the show - right now, the show is dealing with events in 52 BC - Julius Caesar didn't meet his end until more than ten years later. SO - unless they really speed thing up (or my memory is very bad), Ciaran Hinds is in it for at least one season, hopefully more.

Phat, I don't know that you're that far off about Niobe. She did say that she thought Vorenus might be dead. When he called her a whore, maybe he was right on

I enjoy all of the scenes with the senate. The crossing of the Rubicon gave me goosebumps too.

Everything they do on this show just feels spot on authentic. I read up on Jonathan Stamp, Stud Historical Consultant, and his credentials are very impressive.

Seriously Phat, this thread may devolve into the two of of discussing the minutia of history and plot

BTW - I knew the kid playing Octavian looked familiar: he was in Master and Commander and played the young boy whose arm had to be amputated. My, how time flies... and hormones work!

Okay, not to be a complete dork or anything (yeah right), but I checked out more info about the show - right now, the show is dealing with events in 52 BC - Julius Caesar didn't meet his end until more than ten years later. SO - unless they really speed thing up (or my memory is very bad), Ciaran Hinds is in it for at least one season, hopefully more.
    There's going to be more than one season? I thought there were only 12 shows in the series...more would be great!

I thought I recognized the boy playing Octavian. I just couldn't place him til you mentioned Master and Commander...he has grown up a bit!

Did anyone see the previews for next week, it showed Niobe whispering with some man...but I didn't recognize him. Father of the baby, perhaps?
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

+ Reply to Thread