+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Rome (on HBO)

I just finished watching the season premiere and Oh. My. God. I love this show.

I didn't think my crush on James Purefoy could get any bigger, but I was wrong. He was sexy and menacing and fabulous tonight. The look on Cicero's face when Antony suddenly appeared behind him was priceless. What a weasel. I can't wait for Antony's meeting with Cleopatra and Atia's reaction to it. The sparks are going to fly!

Phonegrrrl - I loved Pullo's "proposal." What girl wouldn't feel swept off her feet? I loved seeing a more tender side of him with Eirene. I hope that they continue to build that relationship. It's a nice contrast to his impending vengeance-seeking for Octavian and his support of Vorenus. I'm wondering too about when Vorenus will find out that Pullo knew about Niobe all along. Maybe they'll save that for the season finale.

Okay, I just stumbled across a bit of a spoiler. According to imdb.com,
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Max Pirkis is only going to be around for a few episodes this season. The episode listed as #4 has another actor playing Octavian. His name is Simon Woods. Here's a link to his picture: spoiler picture. I hope he does a good job, because he has big shoes to fill.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Critical;2204847;
    I didn't think my crush on James Purefoy could get any bigger, but I was wrong. He was sexy and menacing and fabulous tonight.
    I kept hoping that bed sheet would go a bit lower, but it didn't happen.

Try as I might to accept the actor playing Cicero as Cicero, I *still* think of him as Mr. Collins from Pride & Prejudice, and tonight's mincing weasle-ness didn't help. I used to have such fond thoughts of Cicero based translating his orations, but that's all changed.

My favorite line was the town crier's caveat on the attendance of Caesar's funeral: no prostitutes, actors, or dirty tradesmen. I think I'll put that in my funeral arrangements.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl;2204860;
    I kept hoping that bed sheet would go a bit lower, but it didn't happen.
    Met too! I loved his line "I'm not getting out of this bed until I've ^&*%ed someone!" I was raising my hand and volunteering!

Try as I might to accept the actor playing Cicero as Cicero, I *still* think of him as Mr. Collins from Pride & Prejudice, and tonight's mincing weasle-ness didn't help. I used to have such fond thoughts of Cicero based translating his orations, but that's all changed.
    OMG! I knew I recognized him, I just couldn't figure out from where! He was perfectly mince-y as Mr. Collins He's a little thinner now than he was in P&P. You know, I had to write about Cicero in a Renaissance history course, but I don't remember feeling very fond of him!

My favorite line was the town crier's caveat on the attendance of Caesar's funeral: no prostitutes, actors, or dirty tradesmen. I think I'll put that in my funeral arrangements.
    I loved that one too! That character is one of my favorite things about the show. My favorite scene with him was last season when he had to read the advert: "True Roman bread for true Romans" and then he sort of rolled his eyes and looked irritated at being lowered to reading ads.

I can't help but wonder if Vorenus' children are really dead. Usually with TV the rule is that, unless there's a body, the character is not dead....and sometimes even if there is a body!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Critical;2204932;
    You know, I had to write about Cicero in a Renaissance history course, but I don't remember feeling very fond of him!
    Well, maybe fond is a bit strong of a term, but I never got the feeling from the orations I looked at that he was trying to kiss the Roman equivalent of Lady Catherine de Bourgh's butt as I do with this guy. Plus, he was more eloquent than most politicians of modern time, I was kind of taken with the idea of a politician being able to write and speak well. But I was far more fond of the pervy Catullus poems, which, if memory serves, Cicero didn't really care for. OK, I'll stop being a total geek now.

I too wonder about Vorenus' kids being dead, but I think I enjoyed too much his going all Jack Bauer on that loan shark/crime boss guy (I can never remember his name, just his chain). That head down the Appian Way rocked.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl;2204963;
    I too wonder about Vorenus' kids being dead, but I think I enjoyed too much his going all Jack Bauer on that loan shark/crime boss guy (I can never remember his name, just his chain). That head down the Appian Way rocked.
    Was the crime boss' name Erastes? I told hubby it seemed like he and his crew were hanging out at the Roman version of the Sopranos Bada Bing club, lol. Who will run the bordello now, Pullo?
    I couldn't figure out why Erastes would say that about Vorenus' kids if he hadn't done it, as that was sure to get him killed, unless he thought he was going to be killed anyway and just wanted to get one last dig in.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl;2204860;
    They must have gotten a kick out of that line, since they are all actors :-)

Oh! I forgot to mention one of my other favorite parts of last night's show! I was practically cheering when Calpurnia spit in Servilia's face (twice! ) when she had the nerve to come view Caesar's body. She was quite a mouse last season, so I was pleased she grew a backbone. Before she did it, I was saying "Slap her! Slap her!" The spitting was better.

When I saw the previews of the show I was wondering how Vorenus would be able to take over the Aventine from Erastes. I think carrying his severed head for all to see would probably do it!

Harvest - I definitely think Erastes knew he was dead regardless of what he said. I wouldn't put it past him to lie, just to get that final dig in. I really hope the children aren't dead, but if they are, I'm glad we didn't have to see them being killed.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Enjoyed seeing Pullo step in and take care of "Brother Vorenus" when he learned of Eirene's suicide. The shoe has always been on the other foot in that relationship. What was in Eirene's mouth when her body was being taken to the funeral pyre? Noticed that Caesar didn't have anything in his mouth. Would one of you scholars please address that? Felt so sorry for Eirene's son when, while he was watching Vorenus cry over his dead mother, he picked up the child and screamed at him, "Who are you?"

This was quite an episode that I must watch, at least, once more!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Prhoshay - the coin in Niobe's mouth was to pay Charon, to ferry her soul across the River Styx.

I'm not exactly sure why Caesar got milk instead of a coin. I know that Romans sometimes made offerings of milk and wine. Maybe Caesar was considered to be descended from gods?

How thrilled am I that this is back on!!!!

I too, wondered about the children. Raped and killed? I wonder if that means the son too....or if he was spared as he was supposed to me the grandson.

I must be odd.....I have a crush on Brutus.
    For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.
    - Virginia Woolf

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    My crush is on Pullo!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread