+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Rome (on HBO)

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    I'm sure Lucius would have first given his wife Niobe an ďOh-by-the-way,Ē so that Niobe would be aware of what Titus Pullo was doing (and why).
    Personally, I don't think Niobe set Pullo up for humiliation, primarily because I don't think that Lucius would have told her that he was selling Eirene's freedom. Not only did we not see that conversation, but also when Lucius bought slaves initially, he did it without consulting Niobe and that put her out a bit. Plus, Niobe seemed genuinely concerned about Eirene, and it would not have been a huge leap for her to think that, had she set Pullo up intentionally, he'd get mightily peeved and go violent.

I was just excited that Cassius was finally brought on. I know "Rome" hasn't been tracking Shakespeare, but I was really waiting for him to show up with his "lean and hungry look." (And yes, I am aware I'm a geek. )

Wow!!! I just watched "Triumph"....and what a triumph indeed!

I don't think Niobe set Pullo up either. I still don't think she suspects that Pullo was the one that ended her lover's life.

That whole scene when Pullo frees Eirenie, and then comes to collect his wife was probably one of the most well acted scenes I have seen in a long time---movies, TV, or otherwise. When Vorenius is laying into Pullo, and Pullo just sits there in a daze, and then volleys the disrespect right back into Vorenius' face...I almost started crying. These guys are like best friends and have always had each other's backs. I am still thinking about that whole scene, and the infuriation from Vorenius and the despair from Pullo. Great acting, great writing, great TV.

One question...was the guy talking to Pullo at the end (Erastes something or other) the guy that Vorenius did some goon work for? Or is he a gladiator promoter(new character)??
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdobolina
    When Vorenius is laying into Pullo, and Pullo just sits there in a daze, and then volleys the disrespect right back into Vorenius' face...I almost started crying. These guys are like best friends and have always had each other's backs. I am still thinking about that whole scene, and the infuriation from Vorenius and the despair from Pullo. Great acting, great writing, great TV.
    I agree with you. I was like, but they are FRIENDS! It was a powerful scene.

Last night's episode had me on the edge of my seat the whole time. The end scene, when Vorenius jumps in the fight with Pullo, was just freakin' awesome. The whole fight part was great, in that ultraviolent sort of way. However, when Pullo cut off that one guy's arm, both Dad & I said "It's only a flesh wound!" at the same time and had a laugh. Man, does that Pullo have anger management issues!

What didn't happen that I was expecting was this: When Vorenius and Niobe go to Atia's house for dinner, I was fully expecting that Octavia would say something or Niobe or Vorenius would overhear some comment from Octavia about Pullo killing Niobe's brother-in-law/lover. I now wonder if that story is going to be tied up at all.

Can't wait for next week, but it's going to be too long of a time until we get new episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl
    Last night's episode had me on the edge of my seat the whole time. The end scene, when Vorenius jumps in the fight with Pullo, was just freakin' awesome. The whole fight part was great, in that ultraviolent sort of way. However, when Pullo cut off that one guy's arm, both Dad & I said "It's only a flesh wound!" at the same time and had a laugh. Man, does that Pullo have anger management issues!
    Me too, PhoneGrrrl! I was crying through the last 20-30 minutes of the show thinking that they might actually kill Pullo. Vorenus watching Pullo fighting, while having that internal battle over what to do - that was such a powerful scene. Kevin McKidd (Vorenus) is a great actor and that scene proved it. I was riveted. That whole fight scene was really violent, but it was so well done that I didn't really spend too much time peeking between my fingers!

Let's hope that the senators do their job next week before Caesar is able to "punish" Pullo for his intervention. Ciaran Hinds has done a terrific job with Caesar and, in the last few episodes especially, he's really conveyed the change in Caesar. Last night when we found out for sure that Caesar had paid for the killing that Pullo was imprisoned for, I was SO ready for them to just kill him! I wasn't a big fan of Brutus (the potrayal of him) at first, but the actor is really growing on me. They've done a good job showing the turmoil and the other factors that may have influenced his actions.

I felt for Niobe at Atia's party. That dress was pretty bad, but she had no idea what she should wear. I was waiting for someone to spill the beans about Niobe's affair too. Maybe they're trying to get us to the point that we actually forget about it (sometime in the second season) and THEN they'll have Vorenus find out.

Can't wait for next week, but it's going to be too long of a time until we get new episodes.
    I know! I got goosebumps watching the previews (as usual!). I can't believe it's the end already! 2006 is going to be the longest year because we'll be waiting for the show to start in 2007! If season two is anywhere near as good as season one, we are in for a great ride!

I wonder when the season 1 DVD comes out?
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

"They're gonna need some more gladiator guys, I think."

The penultimate episode ("Spoils") of Rome's inaugural season was unforgettable for many reasons, but I was most affected by Titus Pullo's death sentence in the gladiatorial arena.

While Octavian and Atia are still fascinating, three-dimensional characters to me, I realized Sunday that Caesar's story had become completely stale to me. If Pullo and Vorenus are the Forrest Gumps of Rome, then Caesar is Apollo 13. We already know what's going to happen. It's simply a matter of how the writer and director choose to portray it.

On the other hand, Pullo and Vorenus continue to intrigue, as they are everyday people like you and me caught up in extraordinary circumstances, pawns both to fate and the games of wealthy and powerful people.

Pullo's scene in the arena, though admittedly melodramatic and a bit predictable at times, was nevertheless rousing, credit to McKidd (Vorenus) and Stevenson's (Pullo) acting abilities. It was great action and pathos rolled up in one.

I was incredibly touched by Pullo's prayer before stepping into the arena. Pullo's prayer for Eirene (whom he hurt) and for the Vorenus Family (who banished him) demonstrated genuine remorse, the first step toward redemption, in my humble opinion.

When Pullo entered the arena, weary and beaten, ready to accept death without even fighting the gladiators, I was disheartened. However, I admit my jaw dropped open and my eyes went wide when Pullo put the beat-down on two of the three gladiators while sitting on the ground.

This was touching since Pullo was no longer concerned with defending his own honor but was defending the honor of the 13th Legion, whom the gladiators ridiculed. Keep in mind that the 13th Legion had just recently shown him disrespect, too, that they had no place for him--Pullo, a veteran and hero of the 13th.

As Pullo fell to his hands and knees, wounded and dying, ridiculed by the arena crowd, unable even to stand on his own feet after facing and annihilating six warriors by himself, I felt anguished for Pullo, an anguish that was mirrored so well in McKidd's (Vorenus) face.

Although you just knew that Vorenus would eventually leap into the arena--symbolically shedding his new responsibilities to Rome by shedding his new toga--and save Pullo's life, I had my moments of doubt. Vorenus is the man who, when asked to choose between law and order for the good of Rome, and allowing Pullo's death sentence to stand (letting a man who'd been like a brother to him die for a corrupt city-state), had earlier chosen the good of the State. He's just that type of guy, and from what we've seen of him throughout the series, it's consistent with his character.

While Pullo faced six men on his own, Vorenus was no slouch in the beat-down department when he faced that eight-foot tall widowmaker. (Note to self: The guy carrying a mace with a skull is not the guy you want to jostle the next time you're at the bar.) Again, I had my doubts about Vorenus' ability to survive against an opponent so much bigger, so much stronger, than he. (This is HBO, after all.)

And, of course, the gladiator's end was fittingly gruesome. I mean, stabbing a guy through the collarbone with his own mace handle...? That's going to leave a mark.

Watching Vorenus support Pullo off the battlefield was a natural conclusion to the scene, although I supplied my own MST3K dialogue.

Vorenus: Come on. Let's get you patched up and find some wine. And why don't we just forget that whole silly you-killed-my-slave-because-he-slept-with-your-girlfriend stuff?

Pullo: Deal!
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Watching Vorenus support Pullo off the battlefield was a natural conclusion to the scene, although I supplied my own MST3K dialogue.

Vorenus: Come on. Let's get you patched up and find some wine. And why don't we just forget that whole silly you-killed-my-slave-because-he-slept-with-your-girlfriend stuff?

Pullo: Deal!
    I love reading your posts, Phat!

Another great episode...I hate that there's only one left. Even though we know what's going to happen, I can't wait to see it. Like Atia said..."I warned him!"
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by waywyrd
    I love reading your posts, Phat!
    Thank you!

Another great episode...I hate that there's only one left. Even though we know what's going to happen, I can't wait to see it. Like Atia said..."I warned him!"
    I know. Talk about the writing on the wall. No pun intended.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Just for the record, I don't think Pullo killed Vorenus' slave just because he slept with the girl. I think he killed him because that was who she intended to marry, and not Pullo! He truly thought of that girl as belonging to him! I don't think he had ever even considered anything else!

Thank goodness I finally got caught up today!!!

(Mr. D, in case you didn't get an answer to your question, Erastus is the loan shark!)
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I didn't see it coming...no, not Caesar getting offed...but the conclusion to the Niobe cheating on Vorenus ultimate outcome. Yipes. I just didn't see the it until she was right out on the balcony.

And Pullo, my god, could the guy be any luckier?!?! I keep thinking he's one scene away from the proverbial boat from Denmark to England. (I don't go with the Forrest Gump theory--he was too unaware of his proximity to history. Pullo has a clue now & again and is thus more Rosencrantz/Guildenstern to me.) But there, at the end, he's gotten his ex-slave girl's forgiveness and they literally walk off into the sunset, hand in hand.

Now I'm really cursing the wait until the next season & have an inkling of what Sopranos fans go through.

+ Reply to Thread