+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Rome (on HBO)

I'd hate to get on Atia's bad side...that woman is pure evil! Servilia is bad enough, but Atia is terrible. Is it me or did Timon looks remorseful after seeing what they did to Servilia?

I hope they keep the same actor for Octavian...I think he's great. So cold and analytical...he definitely takes after his mother.

I felt bad for Pullo this episode...he feels left out and really has no one to go home to except his slave girl (forget her name!). And she doesn't seem to return his affections. Poor guy.

Oh, and that guy who hollers the daily news out in the courtyard cracks me up. With the ads for Roman bread "for true Romans".
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Love the bread ad!!!!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Like Waywyrd, I too felt bad for Pullo this episode....not because he has no one to go home to, but because he didn't get to gut that smug merchant dude! I was so looking forward to that skirmish! I also wonder if he will try to get his revenge on Vorenius, or if he realizes that now that Vorenius is one of Caesar's magistrates, that he is now untouchable.

Quick spoiler with a question(Critical...I'm lookin' at you!):
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Doesn't Caesar adopt Octavian at some point? So, does Atia die soon? Perhaps at the hands of Servilia? Was Atia married to Caesar's brother?

I, too, love the bread commercial! Wow..Roman Meal bread has been around for a long time!
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Was the 'merchant dude' the guy that Vorenus momentarily worked for when he came home from his 8 year military absence? The loan shark guy.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Ooohhh!! I think you might be right, prhoshay! He looked familiar...and his remarks about Vorenius shaming him previously would lead me to believe that he is the loan shark guy.

Man, I love this show!

Mixing Old Fashioneds PhoneGrrrl's Avatar
    The "merchant dude" was the loan shark from a couple of episodes ago, most definitely. It was great TV, seeing him stew at the Forum then coming after Vorenus, only to find Caesar and all his men at the door already.

Octavia strikes me as dim-witted more than anything. Here's Servilia telling her to seduce her brother because lovers will tell you anything. BUT it doesn't even occur to her that *Servilia* has been her lover for a while now & this could be the same manipulation that she is being directed to use on Octavius. Plus, I thought the whole topic of Caesar's affliction being brought up was odd--it's been at the very least two years since the epilepsy incident occurred.

I hate that there are only three episodes left. Isn't supposed to end with
    Click to see Spoiler:
    the ides of March
    ?

mrdob - Don't you love how we put spoiler tags around historical events!? I don't think that just because Caesar adopts Octavian that anything has to happen to Atia (please GOD, let nothing happen to Atia!). It may just have to do with making things more clear as far as succession. Atia is Caesar's niece, not his sister-in-law, so as his niece's son, Octavian wouldn't be the logical choice to take over from Caesar (as far as the ideas about succession went).

PhoneGrrrl - I agree that Octavia may be a little dim, or at least incredibly malleable and gullible. I loved when she and Octavian were in bed "after" and she started to ask him the question about Caesar and he just went "Ah!" - he had her number from second one. I really hope they don't re-cast Octavian - I think Max Pirkis is doing a terrific job and has already matured quite a bit this season. I don't know when filming ended, but it will probably be about a year between the filming of season one ending and the filming for season two beginning. He'll be seventeen in January, so I think he'll mature a lot between now and then Plenty of time for those hormones to work their magic! Plus, we have some other events to cover first.

waywyrd - You know, I know Atia is evil, but I still love her. Servilia just seems more weasily to me. It seems like her machinations are reactive vs. Atia's, which seem more proactive. Atia manipulates and schemes to get what she wants - a better husband for Octavia, safety for herself and her children - while Servilia seems to be always just trying to get revenge against someone for what they did to her.

Also, I don't know if that servant doesn't have any feelings for Pullo or if her reaction had more to do with the fact that she is a servant and he is a master. She may just view having a relationship with him as an impossibility I'll admit that I was very touched by that scene, particulary since we've seen what Pullo normally does with a naked woman!

I love the news reader - he is one of my favorite things about the show! "True Roman bread for true Romans." Loved how irritated he seemed over having to read that this last time.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

[quote=Critical]Don't you love how we put spoiler tags around historical events!? [\quote]

yeah, I think it's hilarious! Just picture me sitting at my desk contemplating for 10 minutes whether or not to spoiler tag historical events!

My favorite part about the Octavia/Octavian bedroom scene was just how Octavian ended up being the manipulater! Octavia was trying so hard to gleen information from him, and he just played it all off so smoothly. He is just another great part of this whole show!

With the speed that the years are going by from week to week, I doubt that the boy who plays Octavian will look mature enough to play a full grown man in his twenties by the second season. If he does, it would be great because he is a very good young actor and does the part well.

Atia is so fully fleshed out and wonderful in her sociopathic villany. Polly Walker plays the part with such delicious relish. I would also hate to see her part end.

I am looking forward to Mark Antony and Cleopatra's doomed love affair (probably next season). I think they picked Cleo well (she is not too beautiful which is a more realistic portrayal) and James Purefoy as Mark Antony is so masculine and oozes sex as the rogue of Rome.

And you thought your family gatherings were messy...

So. Here's my question: Did Niobe let Titus Pullo free Eirene with the intention of marrying her, knowing that he would be humiliated by Eirene's lover? Was this Niobe's revenge for Evander's murder?

Niobe manages the Vorenus household, including the slaves. I would find it hard to believe that she wasn't aware of the situation between Eirene and her lover. Also, before lending Titus the money and accompanying him to free Eirene, I'm sure Lucius would have first given his wife Niobe an “Oh-by-the-way,” so that Niobe would be aware of what Titus Pullo was doing (and why).

Did Niobe intend to embarrass Titus as a form of revenge, without realizing how far he would go? Worse, did she suspect how far he would go and allow the situation to get out of hand, anyway? After all, they're “just” slaves to her.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but...the bad things don’t always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

+ Reply to Thread