+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Rome (on HBO)

i think it all depends on how far they want to go this season. my guess is that it'll end with ceasar's death or that'll be the first thing that happens in season two.

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel
    i think it all depends on how far they want to go this season. my guess is that it'll end with ceasar's death or that'll be the first thing that happens in season two.
    I read an article in the news section of the official show site and it indicated that the first season would end with 44 BC, which is the year Caesar was killed. I think the article was written before the show was renewed for a second season, so I don't know if that changes anything. I think the whole first season was completed before the show started airing, so it's all probably a done deal

I love Ciaran Hinds, but I think he must have known this wasn't a long-term gig! As long as Atia and Pullo stick around, I'll be happy. Wouldn't THAT be a great pairing? After all, Atia has shown that she's an equal opportunity shagger, so why not Pullo?

Whatever happens, I'm just glad HBO is behind this show. $100 million is a lot of money, so they could have just decided that one season was expense enough. I can't believe we only have 4 new episodes and that we won't get any new ones for over a year.... now I know how fans of The Sopranos feel!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

. that's why i didn't put my speculations as a spoiler, if you don't know your roman history, you should now!

ciaran hinds would definitely had to have known. i heard that they were only planning on making this a one year/season show and then that was it. i'm very glad they renewed it. it's a very interesting history to learn all about. and one that is fairly accurate and still entertaining.

This show is so awesome!!! I just watched "Cesarion" for the first time, and just, damn!!! Titus Pullo is one of the greatest characters ever. Ciaran Hinds is such a great Caesar(I didn't even think so at first) it will be a shame if they cover his whole history over just this season. I'm thinking they could do a pretty good job with Octavian's rise to power, though. I smell another season there.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdobolina
    I'm thinking they could do a pretty good job with Octavian's rise to power, though. I smell another season there.
    Oh, definitely! I think Octavian's story could carry a whole season...there'd be plenty of great storylines between him, his sister, and Marc Antony...
    Time you enjoy wasting was not wasted - John Lennon

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Somebody help me. What is that huge wall that sort of looks like a calendar that they frequently show? There's usually somebody climbing up and sliding something into a slot. That is driving me crazy.

I know my brainiacs on this site can help me!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

i thought it was a calander , of events, who's in charge, etc. maybe that is wrong though?

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel
    i thought it was a calander , of events, who's in charge, etc. maybe that is wrong though?
    That's my guess too, canadian_angel. I keep meaning to watch the episodes on OnDemand with the commentary from Jonathan Stamp (historical consultant) - if I finally get around to doing that AND there is any info about that "calandar," I'll post it.

So - more and more people are learning Niobe's secret. Now that Vorenus us being pulled into Caesar's sphere, how long will it be before he finds out too?

This whole season I've thought of Servilia as less evil in comparison to Atia. Yes, she did that little curse on Caesar and Atia, but really - not all that scary. After this last episode though, I've changed my opinion completely! She's a viper! Manipulating Octavia into sleeping with her brother just to get information about Caesar - that was horrid. LOVED Atia's reaction and I can't wait for her to find out that Octavia is having an affair with Servilia.

I've lost some respect for Octavia over the last few episodes. She's obviously (up to this point, at least) all bark and no bite. She said that she'd rip out Atia's throat with her teeth if she found that Atia had ordered her men to kill Glebius (sp?), but when she was told that this was true, she did nothing. All Atia had to do was tell her it wasn't so and she just believed her. She now just seems like someone who is easily manipulated and can't stand up to anyone.

Now that it looks like they might get to Caesar's death this season, I'm glad they're waiting a little while to start filming the second season. By next spring, Max Pirkis (Octavian) will be more mature. He already looks so much older to me from the early episodes. He's really improved as an actor this season, IMHO. I can't wait to see what he does next season!

Now that Vorenus is a magistrate, will that merchant come back and try to kill him? Loved that moment he and his men showed up at Vorenus' door and they were blocked by the Roman soliders!

The only bad thing about the show? Only 3 more episodes left!
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

They will probably have to get another actor for the role of Octavian so they can show his maturity over the passage of time. The young actor who play him looks so young and it is obvious he is an adolescent. That isn't going to change much over the next few years. Even if he does mature, he won't look like a grown man.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Well, he did have a jump in height when he came home........or everyone else was standing in a hole?!

And as for Octavia, no matter how pissed she is at her mother, Atia is still her mother, and still has a lot of power over her daughter. Octavia cannot compete in the forum of the 'big dogs'..........i.e., her mother and Servillia. So, don't lose respect for her yet.............she's just young.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread