+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Lost - Season 2

Sorry if I have not gone back far enough on the posts, but did anyone notice the reference to BF Skinner on the "film" that they watched? Basically Skinner's claim to fame is all about human psychological experiments, and one of his most famous experiments was making subjects push a button that resulted in electric shocks on another subject in another room that they viewed via a two way mirror. The subject being "shocked" didn't really get shocked but the subject submitting the shocks didn't know that. So the controller kept telling the "shocker" to keep upping the amount of volts, which to their perception, was practically killing the "shockee", but they kept upping it when they were told to, just because they were told to, regardless of what they saw the "shockee" experiencing. It was about how far someone would go regardless of how they felt, just because they were told to by an "AUTHORITY figure".

I think the whole push the button thing is an experiment. JMHO, of course.
    Go Tigers!

I agree that it's just a psychological experiment. Now are we going to see a whole season of someone staying in the hatch to keep entering the code every 108 minutes? I hope not!

And what's up with the airplane chick befriending "The Others?" Is she doing it to save herself and is just acting to be on their side? Why would "The Others" trust her anyway? We know she really is from the plane because she's in one of Jack's flashbacks.

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    It is weird they didn't show where the other exit from the hatch came out. That can't be out of budget restraints or sloppy filming. Nobody remarked on it or anything, but what could it be? Did they trip out of a tree like the Keebler elves or what? I just found it strange that it wasn't shown and no one made reference to it.
    That seemed odd to me also. I can understand the need to trim the show, due to the increasing number of commercials that now have to air every 10 friggin minutes. But, we need to know why in the world Locke and Boone would spend hours and hours in the short proximity of that entrance/back door to the hatch, and never suspect that there was a 2nd opening. What does it look like? Kate didn't seem to have any trouble at all making her way back to it either.

Quote Originally Posted by chesara
    I agree that it's just a psychological experiment. Now are we going to see a whole season of someone staying in the hatch to keep entering the code every 108 minutes? I hope not!

And what's up with the airplane chick befriending "The Others?" Is she doing it to save herself and is just acting to be on their side? Why would "The Others" trust her anyway? We know she really is from the plane because she's in one of Jack's flashbacks.

That threw me too, I can't imagine why "the others" would trust her. This show gets more confusing every week.

Well, we have to now wonder if the "OTHERS "are the people from the back end of the plane - which is all fine and dandy, but what does the hatch have to do with the other people. We know that one chick WAS on the plane, and she's beating down Sawyer, who to her, said he was on the plane. Why is the bitch against him?
    Go Tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy
    Sorry if I have not gone back far enough on the posts, but did anyone notice the reference to BF Skinner on the "film" that they watched? Basically Skinner's claim to fame is all about human psychological experiments, and one of his most famous experiments was making subjects push a button that resulted in electric shocks on another subject in another room that they viewed via a two way mirror. The subject being "shocked" didn't really get shocked but the subject submitting the shocks didn't know that. So the controller kept telling the "shocker" to keep upping the amount of volts, which to their perception, was practically killing the "shockee", but they kept upping it when they were told to, just because they were told to, regardless of what they saw the "shockee" experiencing. It was about how far someone would go regardless of how they felt, just because they were told to by an "AUTHORITY figure".

I think the whole push the button thing is an experiment. JMHO, of course.

Those were the Milgram experiments, not BF Skinner's. Yes, pretty interesting.

BF Skinner did study behavior modification. I remember something about Skinner's Box that involved rats doing something to earn a treat.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

I just rewatched the Dharma initiative orientation film. I get from it, that this sector (the hatch) is for electromagnetic experiments. Then mentions the incident and then the instructions to keep pushing the button for 540 days.

So, why didn't it end at 540 days?
    Fabulous Fifty

Want to be green?? Join the Premium Member FORT team. Click for more info!

So I still think that they would suffer nothing if they didn't push the button- guess we're waiting. Kaky, do a little research on bf skinner. Hepcat, read the whole book- lots of experiments. All I can say is that Skinner did a LOT of weird expriments - do a little research, His name throws a HUge problem into the mix. Do the research.
    Last edited by Mariner; 10-07-2005 at 08:45 PM.
    Go Tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy
    Hepcat, read the whole book- lots of experiments
    What you're describing is the Milgram experiments. Here's the wikipedia entry on it - you'll see it's the same.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment

I'm just saying that BF Skinner worked in psychology but not in the field of obedience to authority. BF Skinner also had theories about how to create utopian societies.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Exactly! what's your take?
    Last edited by Mariner; 10-07-2005 at 08:47 PM.
    Go Tigers!

+ Reply to Thread