+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Lost - Season 2

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaky

I have heard that many of the writers or developers of this series are christian scientists. This would explain the faith/science stuff running through with strong religious (but non-main stream) jargon at times?
    Christian Scientist or Scientologist? They are 2 different religons. A lot of Hollywood people are Scientologist. Scientology is a religon invented by L. Ron Hubbard who also wrote a lot of science fiction books. The faith/science connection with this show sounds more like Scientology than Christian Science (Christian Science does not believe in medicine. I have a friend who's father almost died because he would not seek medical treatment due to being a CS. They believe prayer and God will heal them.)

However, Scientology does not believe in psychology which was much in the news last spring when Tom Cruise attacked Brooke Sheilds about her post partum depression and told her that vitamins were all she needed.

Tom Cruise and John Travolta are 2 actors that are scientologists.

I don't now a lot about either religon, but Scientology sounds more like what you are talking about than Christian Scientist given the way Hollywood all jumps on the same bandwagon at times.

I did find this:

"...the aims of Scientology are: A civilization without insanity, without criminals and without war, where the able can prosper and honest beings can have rights, and where man is free to rise to greater heights...

A "utopian society" like what the film in the hatch mentioned along with the other experiments?
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

:

Yup, that's what I was thinking while I typed the wrong religion. Sorry about that.

And yes, what you found about a utopian society plays right along with the story.
    Fabulous Fifty

Want to be green?? Join the Premium Member FORT team. Click for more info!

McDharma's Boar Burgers poutymouse's Avatar
    Filling in for Sayid at Sawyers Snack Shack
    I can't seem to find anyone talking about "the turn of the screw". I cannot exactly remember what the book was about, but I do recall that the movie "the others" was either based on that or the opposite of that book. Anyone with some insight on this???? I remember when Nicole Kidman was doing interviews for "the others" that a critic referred to the book "the turn of the screw". Either it was "the others" movie was based on the book, or something similiar.

The Dharma Initiative link on

http://www.thehansofoundation.org

is now working. If you click on Active Projects, then move your mouse cursor to the bottom until "Dharma Intiative" appears and then click, it will run the orientation video.

Sorry if this is old info, but it wasn't working that way earlier this afternoon.

McDharma's Boar Burgers poutymouse's Avatar
    Filling in for Sayid at Sawyers Snack Shack
    Oh, just in case you aren't sure what I'm talking about, Desmond told Locke and Jack that the film was behind "the turn of the screw".

I recall some Lifetime TV movie starring Valerie Bertinelli coming out the same time as the movie "the others" and either it was the Lifetime movie, or "the others" that was based on that book.

Big Brother Obsession!! Davis_Rocks's Avatar
    Wow I was gone for like less than a day and like 4 pages were written... so here is my VERY long reply!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    Did I blink and miss anyone coming out of the door of the hatch? Somehow I never saw it.
    We all never saw the door, I was wanting to know where the door was placed! In a rock? or in the grass? or where!! So I am interested to see that!! It was like such a heavy duty door!

Quote Originally Posted by JLuvs
    Jun speaking English freaked me out.....but he did only say one line so I wouldn't go as far as saying he is going to be speaking perfect English
    I totally agree!! Him speaking one line doesnt mean he can speak english! I sure hope that the producers dont change that character on us!! We'll see though!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jette66
    Also...during the "orientation" tape, the guy speaking said there was an incident, and that's when they started using the timer thing. What was the incident?
    I wanted to know that too!! Like what happened!! The answer will be soon to come!!

Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen
    Hurley was very quiet in the scene where Locke was trying to remember the numbers.
    Hmmmmm.
    Thats because Locke got one number wrong, and since Hurley didnt want Locke to have the numbers at all, he shut up and didnt correct him.. haha it was funny!

Quote Originally Posted by Rumi
    I didnt see any Darma info but that is definately the photo of the man in the film.
    Try: Is the following photo from the show or elsewhere?

Well, it looks EXACTLY like the show, but I got it from that site: http://www.thehansofoundation.org/

Well I replied to all who I wanted!!

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by poutymouse
    Oh, just in case you aren't sure what I'm talking about, Desmond told Locke and Jack that the film was behind "the turn of the screw".

I recall some Lifetime TV movie starring Valerie Bertinelli coming out the same time as the movie "the others" and either it was the Lifetime movie, or "the others" that was based on that book.
    This was briefly discussed a few pages back. I mentioned something about it and someone else responded about the book as my faulty memory and all couldn't remember it from college.

It's worth going back to look at the post that answered mine. I found it very informative. I can't remember the username of the person who did answer it.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Poutymouse, we did talk about Henry James' "Turn of the Screw" a little ways back. The plot (as I remember it from reading it quite a while ago, so I'm a little vague) was a governess in a big rickety house who thinks there are ghosts who want to harm the two children she's taking care of. You're never quite sure if she was crazy or something supernatural was going on.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MsFroggy
    ... I don't think there will be though, that would be obvious and a disappointment, if the button is the only thing that stands between life and death on the island....
    That's one of the reasons I am in the "don't push the button" group - it can't mean the end of everything if they don't push it - otherwise, if it was that important, they would've programmed the computer to do it automatically every 108 minutes or whatever, since it is a computer, afer all. I would say it's set up manually to monitor something - which at this point would seem to be the two people assigned to push the button during their 540 hour shifts....

It is weird they didn't show where the other exit from the hatch came out. That can't be out of budget restraints or sloppy filming. Nobody remarked on it or anything, but what could it be? Did they trip out of a tree like the Keebler elves or what? I just found it strange that it wasn't shown and no one made reference to it.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

+ Reply to Thread