+ Reply to Thread
Page 97 of 520 FirstFirst ... 4787888990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107147197 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Lost - Season 2

Quote Originally Posted by lurkinlady
    I don't see why people don't think this episode answered tons of questions.

... what is the name of that book?! Oh that drives me nuts.
    I agree... at one point I was cringing because I thought they were answering (or coming close to answering) too many questions! I am very satisfied with the season so far.

The book is called Lord of the Flies, by the way. I hate when that happens, too!

*off to hit Google for more investigation*
    I'll do graffiti if you sing to me in French

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    The man in the window was some mystery philanthropist named Alvar Hanso. Now there's a name that just screams anagram, but I plugged it into one of those anagram generators and the best I came up with is O NAVAL RASH.

The DeGroots (sp? - I think that's how my captions spelled it) were the braintrust couple. The blond girl and the guy with the big sideburns.
    Another anagram I found is HAS OVAL RNA (ribonucleic acid)??

Last night's episode was great and there are a lot of questions but I think what I find most irritating, and what is going to ultimately drive me away from this show is that many characters are basically idiots. Even the supposedly smart ones.

Only idiots fail to ask relevant questions, and hardly anybody on this show ever asks a relevant question. Why was Desmond not grilled further? They could have easily detained him, chained him to a chair and gotten all the info out of him that he had. Saying tortured Sawyer for less, last season. Yet, they let Desmond go. There is only so many times the writers can get away with Jack staring at someone intently, and not asking the question pretty much everyone watching would ask. He has done it many times with Kate, with the French woman, even with Locke. It's like, if the question doesn't get asked, the mystery is propagated, only if the question was asked and answered maybe there wouldn't be a mystery anymore. That is a very big flaw in the logic of this show, in my opinion. The mystery should not be one answer away at any time. The French woman was never asked: "Who exactly are the others? What was the sickness the team contracted? Have you ever seen the beast?" etc. etc. They just let her talk in code, give nebulous answers to not very pointed questions and took what she said and didn't follow up. Damn retarded, if you ask me.

The whole thing with the button and the guy in the labcoat is much like an experiment in brainwashing and social engineering. An authority figure tells them that something will happen if they don't complete a pre-determined task. He does not elaborate what the consequences are in case of non-compliance, and nobody thinks to ask, they just follow instructions blindly. They frear the "what if" and that fear keeps them in check. Again, nobody demands an explanation before they jump in and commit. Now each episode they will keep pushing the button because they just took a complete stranger at his word and after watching a 30 year old tape they are also convinced they have to do it. For absolutely no good reason! But they do it "just in case".

I think there is a very interesting thing about buttons, countdowns, time limits and schedules. They compell people to action by their very nature and people act to "appease" these things and tend to ask questions later after the urgency they pose is removed. It's very easy to exploit this basic behaviour and we are now being manipulated along with the characters on the show into thinking that there will be a consequence if certain things are not followed. I don't think there will be though, that would be obvious and a disappointment, if the button is the only thing that stands between life and death on the island. In other words, if the button is there to prevent annihilation, then there is no destiny because the button was created by man, not some higher force.

Jin knowing English floored me too, I didn't anticipate that but if they suddenly decide to make him into a mole for the "Others" or something... that would be stupid. It would make no sense whatsoever.

Can you tell I'm getting irritated a bit with LOST? I still like it, I just wish there was a bit more logic in this show.
    "Feel the sky blanket you/ With gems and rhinestones/ See the path cut by the moon/ For you to walk on" - EV

Re: Hepcat's recap of the 6 station experiments

I think based on the fact we know about the magnetic field within the hatch that the button must have something to do with a magnetic field (which in and of itself is quite powerful)

Perhaps Danielle's group was one of the experiments (but was abandoned because of the illness and Danielle killing the crew. maybe hers was the behavioral study.

Maybe the backwards "ghosty" people like Jack's dad, Walt, and the upcoming English speaking Jin are part of the alien ability (or paranormal) to project a backwards image for others to see/hear? (This one is creepy because it is really unexplainable)

I have heard that many of the writers or developers of this series are christian scientists. This would explain the faith/science stuff running through with strong religious (but non-main stream) jargon at times?
    Fabulous Fifty

Want to be green?? Join the Premium Member FORT team. Click for more info!

Just to sweep up a couple of loose ends after reading the last few pages. Kelvin is a real name. I have a Kelvin in my classes right now. In fact, I have a Calvin and a Kelvin in the same class! Hurley's name does have significance. It is a nickname and he's not willing to share its signifcance yet. Much discussion about it on last year's thread.
    Count your blessings!

That was a joke. Gin and Hurl.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

FORT Fan
    can anyone put together a screen cap of season 1 last episode with the others on the boat, and last night's episode of the orientation film wher ethey introduce the DeGrot's? Just from memory, doesn't it seem lke the skinny blonde DeGrot is the Blonde from the boat? and the hairy beast DeGrot is the one that is talking on the boat? DUM DUM DUM....maybe the Others were actually the creators of the project and the "incident" that occurred was with them. DUM DUM DUM

Quote Originally Posted by xjeff99
    can anyone put together a screen cap of season 1 last episode with the others on the boat, and last night's episode of the orientation film wher ethey introduce the DeGrot's? Just from memory, doesn't it seem lke the skinny blonde DeGrot is the Blonde from the boat? and the hairy beast DeGrot is the one that is talking on the boat? DUM DUM DUM....maybe the Others were actually the creators of the project and the "incident" that occurred was with them. DUM DUM DUM
    Rather than go through all that work, just use this site:

http://lost-media.com/modules.php?na...permine&cat=39

They have screencaps from every episode, from a few seconds apart.

The people on the boat looked mottled somehow. You're right, that could easily be sideburns man and his blond sidekick.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

FORT Fan
    Hep -- yea thats just what i did and i can't seem to get a good picture of the girl, the guy looks very similar....DUM DUM DUM

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by CCL
    I find it interesting that in the flashback Locke introduces himself as John, and is called John. Whereas on the island he is pretty much universally known as Locke (I think it is only Jack who calls him John). ?
    This goes with my earlier theory that Locke has changed and evolved into a different, stronger person than in his flashbacks. In those he appears to be a rather weak and pathetic man. One who is targeted by bullies (at work in the box factory,the Walkabout tour leader, and his father). But once on the island, he can walk again, and he discovers a new "power" inside himself, so he is no longer poor pathetic John, but Locke or "Locadile Dundee" as I've heard him called. LOL

I think its significant of the name change.

However no one but Locke calls Hurley Hugo. So go figure. I may be blowing smoke out of my hatch! LOL
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread