+ Reply to Thread
Page 95 of 520 FirstFirst ... 45858687888990919293949596979899100101102103104105145195 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Lost - Season 2

I fell asleep in the middle of the show, when they started to watch the movie and woke up when he was eating dinner with Helen. Can anyone give me a synopsis

Sugar coated with a bite lemon_drop's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kimrs
    I fell asleep in the middle of the show, when they started to watch the movie and woke up when he was eating dinner with Helen. Can anyone give me a synopsis
    Last nights comments start at about page 41....
    "Do you believe in love at first sight, or should I walk past once more?"

Wow. For the first time, I was feeling intimidated by the quantity of information given on Lost. Some thoughts/questions I have:

The magnet. Desmond referred to the hatch being the elctromagnet station. My first thoughts were HOW is that not interferring with the electrical equipment down there and is that a strong enough magnet to pull, say, a commercial airplane from the sky? Here is an interesting page about electromagnetic pulses. An excerpt:

Click to see Spoiler:
    The existence of the electromagnetic pulse has been known since the 1940's when nuclear weapons were being developed and tested. However, because of lack of data, the effects of an EMP were not fully known until 1962. At this time, the United States was conducting a series of high-altitude atmospheric tests, code named "Fishbowl." The nuclear explosion, "Starfish Prime," which was detonated in the Pacific Ocean 800 miles from Hawaii, caused an EMP that disrupted radio stations and electrical equipment throughout Hawaii. Consequently, in 1963, the United States and the Soviet Union signed the Atmospheric Test Ban Treaty to counter the considerable threat posed by EMPs. Unfortunately, the destructive potential of an EMP increases everyday as society becomes evermore technological because of an escalating dependence on electronics.

BF Skinner
    He was mentioned in the orientation film. He was a psychologist that focused on behavior modification, and published a novel titled Walden II, which imagined a society that lived under his theories. More about him here. Certainly ties in with Jack's idea that the computer/code/countdown thing is just an experiment.

Kelvin
    My first thought hearing this name is the Kelvin temperature scale commonly used by scientists. Wonder if those numbers play into THE numbers at all?

Adam and Eve
    I wonder if these two were the first two assigned to station duty. The time frame is about right... but if so, who replaced them? And did they get 'sick' like Kelvin did?

Also, I was intrigued by Dr. Candle saying "don't attempt to use the computer for any...." and then the sentence getting cut off by the jumpiness of the projector. Any what?!
    I'll do graffiti if you sing to me in French

Quote Originally Posted by totoro
    Adam and Eve
    I wonder if these two were the first two assigned to station duty. The time frame is about right... but if so, who replaced them? And did they get 'sick' like Kelvin did?

Someone else said this, but I don't agree the timing is right. The Orientation film was dated 1980, and the bodies in the caves had clothes from the 40's on.

I've never heard of someone using the name Kelvin as a first name. I'm like you, I thought of the temperature scale. Negative 273 degrees Kelvin is absolute zero (I'm going on H.S. science class with that figure, so bear with me). Kelvin is like a name a scientist might give their cat...or possibly name their child?

Danielle told the survivors that the Others had control over the transmitter tower. It seems likely that the Others are controlling one (or more) of the other stations (if the hatch is 3 of 6). I was wondering, with that power cord that led into the ocean, and the shark...maybe one of the stations is underwater or water-related, and that's why the Others have a boat (or boats).
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Sugar coated with a bite lemon_drop's Avatar
    Any outside communication with the real world???
    "Do you believe in love at first sight, or should I walk past once more?"

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by totoro
    Wow. For the first time, I was feeling intimidated by the quantity of information given on Lost. Some thoughts/questions I have:

The magnet. Desmond referred to the hatch being the elctromagnet station. My first thoughts were HOW is that not interferring with the electrical equipment down there and is that a strong enough magnet to pull, say, a commercial airplane from the sky? Here is an interesting page about electromagnetic pulses. An excerpt:

Click to see Spoiler:
    The existence of the electromagnetic pulse has been known since the 1940's when nuclear weapons were being developed and tested. However, because of lack of data, the effects of an EMP were not fully known until 1962. At this time, the United States was conducting a series of high-altitude atmospheric tests, code named "Fishbowl." The nuclear explosion, "Starfish Prime," which was detonated in the Pacific Ocean 800 miles from Hawaii, caused an EMP that disrupted radio stations and electrical equipment throughout Hawaii. Consequently, in 1963, the United States and the Soviet Union signed the Atmospheric Test Ban Treaty to counter the considerable threat posed by EMPs. Unfortunately, the destructive potential of an EMP increases everyday as society becomes evermore technological because of an escalating dependence on electronics.

BF Skinner
    He was mentioned in the orientation film. He was a psychologist that focused on behavior modification, and published a novel titled Walden II, which imagined a society that lived under his theories. More about him here. Certainly ties in with Jack's idea that the computer/code/countdown thing is just an experiment.

Kelvin
    My first thought hearing this name is the Kelvin temperature scale commonly used by scientists. Wonder if those numbers play into THE numbers at all?

Adam and Eve

Also, I was intrigued by Dr. Candle saying "don't attempt to use the computer for any...." and then the sentence getting cut off by the jumpiness of the projector. Any what?!
    Just looked up the plot for Turn of the Screw which we saw for about as long as they showed the Last Policeman. The summary I found is that it is a ghost story where different characters ghosts appear and reappear to the main character who is a governess watching 2 children. One of which is bad and has been expelled from school. The other is a girl (good vs evil again?).
    The boy finally sees the ghost at the end and dies in the governess' arms.
    The book was published in 1980. Which brings me to wonder? Was it brought to the bunker by a later button pusher? And what significance does it have if any?

After watching it a second time, I think that this is the psychological experient. If this bunker is the station represented by the swan, then that explains why the shark has a different symbol in the middle of the symbol on its tail - the zoological station, hence polar bears as well???

Maybe Kelvin found the plane with the heroin and died of an overdose. I know that heroin and plane will figure back in and the priests. I sure hope the writers know where they are going with this as there are just hundreds of questions I have now.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    Someone else said this, but I don't agree the timing is right. The Orientation film was dated 1980, and the bodies in the caves had clothes from the 40's on.

I've never heard of someone using the name Kelvin as a first name. I'm like you, I thought of the temperature scale. Negative 273 degrees Kelvin is absolute zero (I'm going on H.S. science class with that figure, so bear with me). Kelvin is like a name a scientist might give their cat...or possibly name their child?

Danielle told the survivors that the Others had control over the transmitter tower. It seems likely that the Others are controlling one (or more) of the other stations (if the hatch is 3 of 6). I was wondering, with that power cord that led into the ocean, and the shark...maybe one of the stations is underwater or water-related, and that's why the Others have a boat (or boats).

The oldest girl on the Cosby show in the 1980's was married to a Kelvin, so apparantly someone has that as a name, even if it's another T.V. character

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog
    Just looked up the plot for Turn of the Screw which we saw for about as long as they showed the Last Policeman. The summary I found is that it is a ghost story where different characters ghosts appear and reappear to the main character who is a governess watching 2 children. One of which is bad and has been expelled from school. The other is a girl (good vs evil again?).
    The boy finally sees the ghost at the end and dies in the governess' arms.
    The book was published in 1980. Which brings me to wonder? Was it brought to the bunker by a later button pusher? And what significance does it have if any?
    You're off a bit there, unless that was a typo for 1890. I know Henry James died around WWI.

I read this book in college. What I remember from it that might have to do with Lost is that the "turn of the screw" is describing the mounting psychological terror of the governess as she tries to figure out what's going on; whether she's going crazy or what's happening is real, etc. Add to that, the story itself is ambiguous enough that the reader isn't sure what's real and what's not. The same can be said for a lot of things that happen on the show.

ETA: Thanks to google, I have a firm date of 1897.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    You're off a bit there, unless that was a typo for 1890. I know Henry James died around WWI.

I read this book in college. What I remember from it that might have to do with Lost is that the "turn of the screw" is describing the mounting psychological terror of the governess as she tries to figure out what's going on; whether she's going crazy or what's happening is real, etc. Add to that, the story itself is ambiguous enough that the reader isn't sure what's real and what's not. The same can be said for a lot of things that happen on the show.

ETA: Thanks to google, I have a firm date of 1897.
    Thanks, I looked under SparksNotes which is kind of like cliffnotes and they had publication date of 1980. Maybe that was a reprint date or the date they published the "cliffnotes" version. I felt that it seemed wrong as I vaguely remember this book from college and felt it was older. Or maybe my dyslexia is kicking in. Thanks for clearing it up.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog
    Thanks, I looked under SparksNotes which is kind of like cliffnotes and they had publication date of 1980. Maybe that was a reprint date or the date they published the "cliffnotes" version. I felt that it seemed wrong as I vaguely remember this book from college and felt it was older. Or maybe my dyslexia is kicking in. Thanks for clearing it up.

I took the book title to be a wink, wink, nod, nod from the show's writers to those of us who are obsessing over this show.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

+ Reply to Thread