Wow! All of that makes sense, especially regarding the Others. I've always wondered what they were doing there.Originally Posted by hepcatThis is what the Orientation film said about the different stations in the experiment:
Imagine a large scale communo-research compound where scientists and freethinkers from around the globe could pursue research in meteorology, psychology, parapsychology, zoology, electromagnetism, and utopian social... (garbled)
1) Meteorology - maybe this explains the way the rain turns on and off so quickly, or the odd tides.
2) Psychology - that's probably the Swan station itself, the hatch. Wasn't B.F. Skinner the guy who wanted to put kids in boxes and observe them? I'm going on vague memory.
3) Parapsychology - maybe they had some success with this one, what with Jack's dad appearing on the island. Maybe somehow the Others knew Walt had ability in this area, and they've taken him to this station.
4) Zoology - polar bears, sharks with logos...
5) Electromagnetism - we know there's some kind of strong magnetic field in the hatch. I have a feeling this is related to the security system, i.e., the monster.
6) Utopian social (?) - maybe the Others were part of a commune on the island. It seems like the project was abandoned though, doesn't it? Maybe the Others got stuck somehow.