+ Reply to Thread
Page 60 of 520 FirstFirst ... 10505152535455565758596061626364656667686970110160 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Lost - Season 2

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    I wanted this week's episode to move the story along more, too, not just flesh out last week's. However, next week's look's great.

I noticed the polar bear too. I didn't catch the symbol on the shark, though.
    I caught the symbol on the tail of the shark; had to watch it several times to ensure I wasnt seeing things.

The broccoli must die!!! Canada Champ's Avatar
    A quick google search on DARPA gave me this:

The Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA)
    is the central research and development organization for the Department of Defense (DoD). It manages and directs selected basic and applied research and development projects for DoD, and pursues research and technology where risk and payoff are both very high and where success may provide dramatic advances for traditional military roles and missions.

Here's a theories:

Leonard was the prior 'caretaker' of the hatch? Desmond was his 'replacement'? Leonard went coo-coo for cocoa puffs, starting going crazy with the 4-8-15-16-42 mantra (every 108 minutes??). Somehow, he gets out, winds up in the funny farm and meets Hurley there (fuzzy on my memory of that ep).

Another thought:

Children/kids are the antidote of some sort; Desmond asks if anyone has become sick? Danielle was the only survivor of her party, and she had a kid. Claire's kid and Walt are the two that are keeping 815 survivors alive? The Others fetched Walt accordingly?

DARPA is the precursor to the Internet, or something along those lines.

The broccoli must die!!! Canada Champ's Avatar
    Hehe, silly me, I forgot all about DARPANET after just learning about it 6 months ago!

Ad Astra Per Aspera homeontherange's Avatar
    See, I took it that Desmond was put there, maybe to monitor something, with supplies to stay a long time, but that he's been left there a lot longer than he expected. He's marking off days on the wall, he asked Locke if the world was still there, he's been expecting someone he'd finally given up hope of seeing (isn't that generally what he said to Locke when he was asking if he was "him"? That Desmond thought "him" would never come?). So it seems to me that Desmond's been left there, and that he's afraid of what's outside his hatch. I don't think he's one of the Others. I think the Others essentially have him trapped in there, like a rabbit in a hole.
    This is the feeling I got, too, from the questions he was asking Locke. I wonder who the heck "him" will turn out to be?! I can't wait to see how all the new characters fit in.

Thank goodness for all of you here ...I miss so many details 'cause I get caught up in the story! I'll definitely have to start taping the show so I can rewatch it to see what I missed the first time around.

I'm very excited and pleased with the new season so far!

FORT Fan
    DARPAnet
    The first version of an IP based network was funded by the US Department of Defence in 1969 as a means of communicating with defence contractors and universities doing military research. Robustness was provided over the imperfect network by packet switching technology, developed by another DoD engineer Paul Baran, as a means of ensuring failure resistant communications. The myth still persists that the Arpanet was invented to make a nuclear counter strike possible amid post-apocalyptic devastation. However, this has more to do with retrospective fantasies about the Cold War than with the reality of internet history. The illustration is part of one of the first skethches of the network architecture, showing one host and one node, from September 1969.

interesting find after i googled darpanet

Ok, so the bunker could be some sort of place built by the military in case of nuclear strike -- hence the supplies, the old records, and the old computer -- and Desmond's a monitor put there to key in a counter-strike code if necessary. That might explain why he asked if the world still existed.
    If it hadn't, though, it appears he wasn't doing his job.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

I had to record tonight's episode since my inlaws returned from Mexico today. I couldn't wait to get home and watch. I rewind my tape, hit play, and nothing's there! It seems the thunderstorms that rolled through a little earlier knocked out my satellite so I recorded an hour of nothing! Thankfully, I could come here and catch up a bit! I hope they replay tonight's episode next week!
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

See, I took it that Desmond was put there, maybe to monitor something, with supplies to stay a long time, but that he's been left there a lot longer than he expected. He's marking off days on the wall, he asked Locke if the world was still there, he's been expecting someone he'd finally given up hope of seeing (isn't that generally what he said to Locke when he was asking if he was "him"? That Desmond thought "him" would never come?). So it seems to me that Desmond's been left there, and that he's afraid of what's outside his hatch. I don't think he's one of the Others. I think the Others essentially have him trapped in there, like a rabbit in a hole.
    I thought the same thing, Lucy. I thought he expected Locke to give him the right response (to his secret code?) so he could maybe turn things over to him and finally get out of there. It doesn't seem to me that he is one of the others (good call hepcat!). Probably just doing his job, day after day; year after year - oblivious to the Others. I wonder if Others captured the one Desmond was looking/waiting for?

Jin thinks his captors are the Others......
    Click to see Spoiler:
    but next week we find out the true identity. Having seen Michele R in some upcoming photos on abcmedianet- it is obvious he has found the ruthless tailsection survivors.
    Last edited by Mike'sgirl; 09-28-2005 at 11:35 PM.

+ Reply to Thread