+ Reply to Thread
Page 51 of 520 FirstFirst ... 414243444546474849505152535455565758596061101151 ... LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Lost - Season 2

Quote Originally Posted by Canada Champ
    LOL it's like we have our own little island here, and we keep mysteriously bringing in more and more people!
    Actually....I've been here since last Season, but barely posted anything. Now, however....

Well, I'm new to the thread. I only caught a few episodes last year, but I bought the DVD's and really got hooked.

About St. Sebastian...there's a whole side to that particular saint you won't find on a Catholic website. He's the saint in those paintings of a martyr that's been shot by several arrows - he was quite a popular subject in Renaissance art:
    St. Sebastian in Art

Starting in the Renaissance, artists frequently portrayed Sebastian as a young man, virtually naked, bound to a tree, and pierced with arrows, his face either passive or displaying religious ecstasy. According to art historian Richard E. Spear, the St. Sebastian story provided artists the rare opportunity to paint the male form at a time when images of the nude female predominated in the art world. Depictions of St. Sebastian's martyrdom were popular and appeared in the work of many artists, including Guido Reni, Giuseppi Cesari, Carlo Saraceni, and Giovanni Bazzi, the latter known as "Il Sodoma" due to his proclivity for painting and consorting with young men.
    http://www.delftboys.com/pre/fun/art6/seblegend.html

Somehow, the image of St. Sebastian suffering became a symbol of homosexuality. There's a very memorable moment in Yukio Mishima's Confessions of a Mask when he see's Reni's painting for the first time. Here's a link to that painting:

www.homoerotimuseum.net/eur/eur06/604.jpg

I don't think this has anything to do with Lost, but St. Sebastian is an interesting figure. Did you know he survived being shot with the arrows? He was martyred another way later.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    About St. Sebastian...there's a whole side to that particular saint you won't find on a Catholic website. He's the saint in those paintings of a martyr that's been shot by several arrows -

I don't think this has anything to do with Lost, but St. Sebastian is an interesting figure. Did you know he survived being shot with the arrows? He was martyred another way later.
    Hm. Yesterday, I was googling bagua mirrors and came across this:

Quote Originally Posted by www.fengshuibestbuy.com
    A good bagua mirror is in octagonal shape, usually framed in wood and measures about 4 to 6 inches across. It has the eight trigrams marked around the outside with a round mirror in the center. The bagua mirror is easy to use and inexpensive protection method for "shar chi" or poison arrows.
    I'll do graffiti if you sing to me in French

Totoro, interesting find...and leads back to the theme of illness or healing from wounds, once again.

I hope a few years down the line one of the writers or producers writes a book that clearly delineates what they were thinking and what influences they were drawing on.

Someone on another board says there are quite a few Steven King references in the show. He pointed to an interview that said they were especially influenced by The Stand.

Someone on another board says there are quite a few Steven King references in the show. He pointed to an interview that said they were especially influenced by The Stand.

I'm a big Stephen King reader (Constant Reader ) and The Stand is my #1 favorite book. I've read the original and the extended version of the book somewhere in the vicinity of seven times... and I don't see any strong indication of influence or references in Lost.

Sure, there is the whole sickness thing, but ultimately The Stand is about the forces of Good and Evil at war. However, this may be something that remains to be seen.
    Click to see Spoiler:
    The tail section people look to be pretty ruthless in those photos from the upcoming episode. They could be the Evil contingent to balance the main survivors' Good-ness.
    And you can't discount all of the black/white symbolism we've seen since the beginning.

I won't believe it until Lost has the equivalent to Trashcan Man.

I tend to think with the black & white stones, faith versus reason, etc. that Lost is going in the direction of good versus evil. There's the character of Charlie - wasn't there a former rocker in The Stand?

I read The Stand at the impressionable age of 12, but haven't re-read it. There are scenes from that book that are burned in my memory.

can't wait for survivor! coolguy's Avatar
    I tend to think with the black & white stones, faith versus reason, etc. that Lost is going in the direction of good versus evil. There's the character of Charlie - wasn't there a former rocker in The Stand?

I read The Stand at the impressionable age of 12, but haven't re-read it. There are scenes from that book that are burned in my memory.

The writers have said the formed Charlie from the character Larry Underwood(I think that is his name) from The Stand.
    You stole my smart quote!

There's the character of Charlie - wasn't there a former rocker in The Stand?
    I stand corrected! There WAS a one-hit wonder struggling with an addiction in The Stand. Snap.

Some other main characters were:

-A girl who ended up being pregnant and delivering the first post-apocalypse baby.
    -A wise older man (actually there are two if these: Glen and the Judge)
    -A fat guy with self-esteem issues (who ultimately went to the Evil side.)
    -A retarded man.
    -A deaf-mute man.
    -Good ole boy (Stu)
    -The Walking Dude aka Randall Flagg (leader of the Evil)
    -Mother Abigail (leader of the Good)

So, I guess you can draw a few correlations there, too. Good call on the Charlie match, Heppy!

Quote Originally Posted by SQUATMAN
    Walt(Malcolm David Kelly) was just on Jimmy Kimmel

They replayed the Walt/Shannon scene. Walt said he was a "ghost type" image, not there for real. He told Kimmel that he said "don't push the button".

settled
    Thanks SQUAT! I just found out today that I missed his appearance. I checked the listings earlier in the week, and he wasn't listed. Kimmel is also supposed to have Matthew Fox (Jack) on Thursday night. Although he was already on Kimmel's show last week, so I'm not sure if it might be a repeat, or what.

Speaking of Matthew Fox, there's a good chance he'll make MSNBC's "The It List" this week. (At this point I wish I knew how to do a link, dammit.)

Regarding Bernard:
    Click to see Spoiler:
    We now know that the actor we have seen in photos (Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje) is not Bernard. But we still don't know if Bernard survived or not. He appears in the same episode as the flight attendant, so it could just be a flashback from the plane. For Rose's sake I hope he did survive, but I haven't seen her name listed anywhere so maybe she isn't even on the show anymore.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

I'm surprised to hear Walt actually said DON'T press the button. I just don't hear the DON'T. Just goes to show that we have to question every little thing we see and hear!

For those of you who don't mind a little fun being poked at the cast of Lost, check this out: http://www.snarkywood.com/

It'll help pass the time until tonight's episode airs

+ Reply to Thread