+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Lost - Season 2

Quote Originally Posted by UGetWhatYouNeed View Post
    Thanks for jogging my memory on those episodes.

It is still a bogus story line surrounding the Walt/Brian/Michael/Adoption, and then Walt's return to Michael.

I know, I know, I always have to tell myself, it IS a television show, not real life.
    Why is it bogus? People give up custody of their kids all the time. Brian adopted him when he married Walt's mom & then "gave" Walt to Michael after the wife died.
    Phil: Claire likes to say "You can be part of the problem, or part of the solution." But I happen to believe you can be both. Modern Family

He gave Walt to Michael because he didn't think he could handle Walt's "unique" abilities.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

Quote Originally Posted by corprip View Post
    I think:

A) Vincent is definitely a Hanso Foundation dog;
    and
    B) Brian is also part of the Hanso Foundation.

It's entirely possible Brian married Walt's mother to get closer to Walt, but like the Others, he couldn't handle Walt's powers.
    Are you thinking that he manipulated Walt onto the island for the Others to study? Why would they endanger Vincent's and/or Walt's life with a real crash? Would that mean that Desmond's accident didn't pull the plane down (how would Hanso know he would cause it just as the plane was overhead)?

I'm not defending Cynthia Watros, but MR was not only a multiple repeat offender on probation, but the speeds at which she was clocked were beyond outrageous. She deserved more, much more than she got.
    Last edited by cricketeen; 06-15-2006 at 08:03 PM.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

JR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qboots View Post
    So as far as who will continue watching this show next season, can we put you down for a maybe?
    Yeah, at least at the start

I was just so disappointed with season 2 after a great first season. They really dropped the ball IMO, way too much filler. I used to watch this show like I would watch a magician - I would sit there and try to figure out what was going on. The S2 finale contradicted way too many things that were in the S2 premire. So, I'm convinced that the writers don't know where they're going and are making it up as they go along, just trying to stretch things out. Now, I watch the same way I do a commedian - just sit back and laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen View Post
    Why would they endanger Vincent's and/or Walt's life with a real crash?
    That's always been my biggest problem since we were lead to believe that the plane crashed for a reason, and it was full of passengers who were supposedly "chosen" by someone to be on that particular flight, and that some sort of research group was involved. (Dharma/Hanso) And yeah, I know it's only a TV show, but it horrifies me to think that some sort of group is doing behaviour studies on some remote island, and that instead of seeking out volunteers, they would put together some colossal plot to direct certain individuals onto a flight, and then they would crash the plane on purpose! A whole lot of people died in that crash! I don't care what kind of psychological experiments you may be doing, you don't have the right to crash a plane just to supply yourself with test subjects.

So now it seems that the crash itself was truly an accident. That flight #815 just happened to be flying over an area where there was some sort of magnetic abnormality, and it somehow interfered with the plane's ability to function, and down it came. A case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I'm much happier thinking that the folks who died, died by accident.

But the question still remains: how did this specific group of individuals all end up on the same flight? With all the crossovers in the flashbacks, it seems highly coincidental that they would all be flying together. And if the plane wasn't intended to crash, what would have happened when it reached L.A.? They would have all disembarked from the plane and gone on their separate ways? So is it just an example of the "Six Degrees of Separation" theory? If the crash itself was an accident, then there's no specific reason that Jack, Kate and the other survivors are on that island. Nobody was expecting them to show up there.

So then who are the freaks who are living there? Tom, Bea and the rest of The Others? How do they seem to know so much about this group of strangers who accidentally crashed there? Are they a group of hermit psychics?

This show is just driving me nuts. Which means of course, that I can't wait for season 3 to start so I can find out what's really going on there. But if season 3 turns out like seasons 1 & 2, I'm not very likely to find out. Am I JR.?
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

JR.
    Q, I have a feeling that you'd be able to come up with better answers than they will (if they even bother to at all)

FORT Fan
    FYI: if you remember from desmond's story on the last episode, it wasn't DHARMA or HANSO Foundation's fault for the plane crash...it was Desmonds. So the fact that people were 'put on this plane' because they knew it would crash idea has to be false.

Quote Originally Posted by Qboots View Post
    That's always been my biggest problem since we were lead to believe that the plane crashed for a reason, and it was full of passengers who were supposedly "chosen" by someone to be on that particular flight, and that some sort of research group was involved. (Dharma/Hanso) And yeah, I know it's only a TV show, but it horrifies me to think that some sort of group is doing behaviour studies on some remote island, and that instead of seeking out volunteers, they would put together some colossal plot to direct certain individuals onto a flight, and then they would crash the plane on purpose! A whole lot of people died in that crash! I don't care what kind of psychological experiments you may be doing, you don't have the right to crash a plane just to supply yourself with test subjects.
    I'm with ya, Q, but playing Devil's advocate... if these people were destined to be on the island and plane crash was intentional, by Locke's logic, couldn't it be argued those who didn't survive the crash, were merely sacrifices to the island to be sure whatever higher plan came to fruition? Locke referred to Boone as a sacrifice to the island, believing that there was a bigger plan. I would think, under this line of thinking, the fatalities would be in the same category.

I'm a firm believer in soul mates and people who are meant to be in each other's lives, will be, somehow, some way. In my opinion, it's clear that the survivors are meant to be together. Desmond's accident is what ultimately brought them together. However, I think if the crash didn't happen, they would have been brought together some other way. It likely wouldn't have been all in one group in such a grandiose fashion, but I think the major players who were destinted to be together, would have been somehow. That is just my general, real life view of it. Now don't go asking me how it would have all fit in with the island/Dharma/others/numbers and all that just because I just have no clue! Perhaps there would have had to have been a series of other, smaller events/accidents that led them all to the island (similar to how all the other inhabitants got there)? I'm not sure really! I just think that there were somehow all meant to be in each other lives in a more specific, meaningful way than just the little, "random" "so and so was on the tv in the background that so and so was watching" type thing.

Quote Originally Posted by xjeff99 View Post
    FYI: if you remember from desmond's story on the last episode, it wasn't DHARMA or HANSO Foundation's fault for the plane crash...it was Desmonds. So the fact that people were 'put on this plane' because they knew it would crash idea has to be false.
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen
    Are you thinking that he manipulated Walt onto the island for the Others to study? Why would they endanger Vincent's and/or Walt's life with a real crash? Would that mean that Desmond's accident didn't pull the plane down (how would Hanso know he would cause it just as the plane was overhead)?
    That's assuming Desmond is right. I don't know if he is or not, but I don't think the explanation for the crash will be all that simple. Things never really are that simple on this show.

If I did reject Desmond's theory, and assumed the wreck was intentional, my best guess for the survivors being who they are would be the seating arrangement. Perhaps they seated people according to the likelihood of survival. I know it's grasping, but I'm in the camp that everything happening on the island is happening for a reason. Not just a mystical reason, but a reason predetermined by human plans. Like I said, I think the Desmond theory is too neat and tidy for it to fit the inane logic of Lost.
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

Are they a group of hermit psychics? Good one!
    Qboots summed up many of my thoughts quite well.

TPTB said they would show us how the plane crashed on the last ep. If they were being truthful, I have to assume (given what we were shown) that Desmond caused it, and Dharma/Hanso were not behind it. But how fortunate for them that they got a psychic kid, two miraculously healed adults, an infant, a few broken souls and several "good" people to mess with.

IMHO what the writers need to do now is focus on some good stories using what they have already established - no new stuff unless it furthers the story. I'm o.k. if they stretch things out some more, but advance the story, no more filler. No new mysteries, monsters or maniacs.

I have coined a new phrase for how this show makes me feel, I suffer from:
    Intrigue Fatigue.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

+ Reply to Thread