+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Lost - Season 2

Wasn't Dave also Charlotte's husband in the last season of Sex and the City?
    "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier." The Killers.

CCL
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen View Post
    I think I follow you; Based on your earlier explanation, I was thinking the Clonazapam was to treat the anxiety he had in relation to feeling guilty over the accident. Was he taking something for hallucinations, too? I don't remember that, so I was thinking the Dr. was using talk therapy to help Hurley get rid of "Dave" on his own.
    Last night I did a quick search of Clonazepam (really, is this some sort of viral marketing on the company that makes that drug? I can see the marketers thinking "Let's make a pitch to the creators of Lost. Hurley can be on our drug & then loads of people will look up our drug on the web and ask their doctors about it. Who needs to make a tv ad that has to list all the side effects? This plan is much better." ). Anyways, one of the off-label uses was in the treatment of schizophrenia Maybe that's what he was using the drug for?

Love the Henry Gale guy. Last night I was feeling sympathetic towards him. And then in the preview he looks sinister once again! Fabulous.
    Last edited by CCL; 04-06-2006 at 09:52 PM.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilTwin View Post
    This episode brought to mind a Star Trek Voyager episode called Waking Moments, where members of the crew are part of a "collective dream." Boy, I hope that isn't the case on Lost.
    Right. My concept is that they are ALL mental patients, but we've only seen the reveal for two of them. From there the idea can be split two ways--either this is some kind of weird supernaturally controlled shared delusion, or they were all taken from various hospitals (Libby and Hurley from the one we've seen and the others from other places) and placed into a single experimental facility where this is being DONE to them.

Think about it--assuming their backstories are mostly true (excluding the parts about how they got onto the flight, and a few other things like Michael collecting Walt, and perhaps Jin and Sun actually still being together) there's a good basis for most of the cast to have suffered some kind of breakdown. Sawyer is twisted by the aimless life of a con living a lie with a name not even his own. Jack is shattered from the pressure from his Dad, his divorce, and the general pressure of being a doctor. Kate is perhaps captured and goes nuts in prison. Michael goes over the deep end because of events with his son, Sun perhaps has left Jin in real life and that's created immense pressure on both of them, Locke has well... tons of issues.

Or perhaps some of them were scooped off the street and brought into this shared delusion experiment and Hurley and Libby were simply brought in together from the mental hospital.

I suppose we could also interpret the whole scene as showing that maybe Libby is the dreamer instead of Hurley and HE and everyone else is the dream, but that doesn't really wash with a character brought in so late. It's either all of them, or none of them.

"You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

Quote Originally Posted by Harvest View Post
    Isn't that Dorothy's uncle's name in Wizard of Oz? And he rides in on a balloon. Lol
    Yeah. I asked about that a bit back but nobody bit on it.

The thing is... the person with the balloon in The Wizard of Oz was the Wizard himself, not Uncle Henry Gale. It makes me think that our mysterious friend's name might actually be Frank Morgan, like the actor who played the Wizard, or Prof. Marvel, which was the wizard's "real" name. Of course it might also be of note that the whole balloon/Prof. Marvel thing isn't in the book--it was invented for the movie. Maybe that fact translates somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by Krom View Post
    Yeah. I asked about that a bit back but nobody bit on it.

The thing is... the person with the balloon in The Wizard of Oz was the Wizard himself, not Uncle Henry Gale. It makes me think that our mysterious friend's name might actually be Frank Morgan, like the actor who played the Wizard, or Prof. Marvel, which was the wizard's "real" name. Of course it might also be of note that the whole balloon/Prof. Marvel thing isn't in the book--it was invented for the movie. Maybe that fact translates somehow.
    There was talk of the whole "Wizard of Oz" connection when "Henry" told his story for the first time. If you search farther back to when that episode aired, you'll see it.
    "Reality leaves a lot to the imagination." John Lennon

I was wondering if Hurley is in the mental institution because of the accident, does that mean he had bad luck before the numbers then?
    Adversity reveals genius. -Horace

Alrighty, two things:

1. When Hurley and Libby were destroying the food at the start of the episode, did anyone else hear a wierd ringing noise in the background?

2. Has anyone been reading the Lost novels that have been coming out? There's three so far, I believe. At least...I HAVE three of em. Anyone else get em yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Twiddler View Post
    Alrighty, two things:

1. When Hurley and Libby were destroying the food at the start of the episode, did anyone else hear a wierd ringing noise in the background?
    I wasn't listening, but by ringing do you mean from a bell, or do you mean the rhythmic "fasten seat belts" chime they use in most situations as kind of an announcement of a tension filled scene?

LG.
    After watching the last episode, I don't understand why Hurley thinks that the numbers are cursed. He obviously had some terrible luck before he used the numbers to win the lottery. Gosh, he blames himself for the deaths of two of his friends after a porch collapsed when he stepped onto it. That is as "unlucky" as any of the bad luck he has had since the lottery. They also mentioned something about his mom having surgery or something. It's not like he was living a charmed life right up until the lottery win.

I thought that Hurley and Libby destroying food in the beginning was shameful because they didn't know that more had just been found. People could have really used that food - like Sun who needs to eat a balanced diet to try to have a healthy baby. There is protein in the peanut butter that she just isn't getting from mangos. Hurley wants to free himself from it - fine. Leave it where someone else will find it. Trade it to Sawyer for something useful. Tossing it on the ground - I found very out of character for them and for people in their situation.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

Quote Originally Posted by LG
    I thought that Hurley and Libby destroying food in the beginning was shameful because they didn't know that more had just been found. People could have really used that food - like Sun who needs to eat a balanced diet to try to have a healthy baby. There is protein in the peanut butter that she just isn't getting from mangos. Hurley wants to free himself from it - fine. Leave it where someone else will find it. Trade it to Sawyer for something useful. Tossing it on the ground - I found very out of character for them and for people in their situation.
    I didn't find it ouf of character at all. Hurley clearly has an illness. He has a food addiction and no matter what he does to fix it, he just goes right back to the food. There are millions of people out there who have a food addiction and because of it, they become morbidly obese. This isn't something where he can just go on a diet or give it to someone else because when he has a particularly difficult day, he will just find a way to get the food again. Dumping the food on the ground was a way to break free from the addiction much like an alcoholic, when realizing he/she has a problem, will pour out all of the alcohol in their house whether it's on the ground or down the sink. I think it showed that Hurley is finally getting the strength (mentally and emotionally) to change and to free himself from his addiction. As long as the food was in tact (even if it was somewhere else on the island), Hurley would still figure out a way to get at it. And I commend Libby for helping him. It doesn't seem like anyone else on that island cares enough about Hurley's situation to try to help him out of it except for Libby.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

+ Reply to Thread