+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Lost - Season 2

Please bear in mind that I was only talking about the female actors earlier. Lost is blessed with an amazing cast of outstanding male actors and I'd be hard pressed to pick a "best actor" from among them.

I agree with Lois Lane about Reese Witherspoon. I also like her and think she's a fine actress, but my vote for best actress would have gone to Felicity Huffman and for best supporting actress to Amy Adams.
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Quote Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
    I don't care whether he's telling the truth or not; I'd snuff Harry asap.
    It’s Henry, but I’m with ya. I’ll hold him down and you snuff’m.

Quote Originally Posted by MamaC
    So if Sun can become fluent enough to be able to speak English in one month's time....why hasn't she been teaching Jin to speak English on the island? They have been on the island almost two months. He even admitted last night that he needs her to talk to since he doesn't know how to speak in English. (And yes, I realize that Jin didn't know she spoke English until after they had been on the island for awhile and, again, he did go off on the boat and then was held captive by the tailies, etc.) I remember when he was getting ready to set sail, Sun gave him a list of words in English to help him when he was with Sawyer, Michael and Walt, but that's been it.
    Just to clarify the timeline you’re talking about: it was Day 32 when Jin and everyone else found out Sun could speak English. Things were still very strained between them when he left on the raft on Day 44. They reunited on Day 48 and we’re now up to about Day 58. He’s picked up a few English words, mostly from Michael and Sawyer, but it’s about time he and Sun set aside a couple hours a day to study. It would be easier if they had access to some kids’ books with pictures and simple words, but so far we haven’t seen any of those.

Quote Originally Posted by talula
    2. When we first saw the promos, I thought the whole pregnancy test on a plane thing was absurd, too. But this issue was posted on another board and I was surprised that quite a few women said that they (or someone they knew had traveled with a pregnancy test. Hearing explanations/examples, such as the one a few posts up, it doesn't seem as silly to me anymore.
    Anybody ever watch “Airline” on A&E? People bring all kinds of weird stuff onto planes, way weirder than pregnancy tests. It wouldn’t surprise me if they found a live alligator on board.

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane
    My friends from Korea (who tell me that the English translations aren't always exactly what Jin and Sun are actually saying in Korean) told me something that I found really interesting. They said that a woman of Sun's upbringing in Korea would've known how to speak English by the time she was in grammar school and definitely by high school.
    Maybe Sun was home-schooled. Given that Yunjin Kim was raised in Korea and she is bilingual, I wonder if she mentioned this to the writers?

Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen
    Maybe I am not a good person. If I were in Sun's position, I would never have told my husband that his "little soldiers" (I love that) were unarmed right before revealing that I was pregnant. If you have truly never had an affair, why open that Pandora's box?
    It would be a worse Pandora’s box to open if she had slept with someone else. If there’s a chance it’s Jae Lee’s baby, Sun would be crazy to reveal that she is actually healthy and that it was Jin who was in question. Much safer to say “I guess my fallopian tubes were better than the doctor thought.” For her to come clean like that tells me that her conscience is clear. After Jack’s pep talk she decided that for her marriage to truly work she needed to get rid of any remaining secrets. That’s my take on it anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by JR.
    I know I've said it here before, but as every new episode goes by (when we get a new one) I feel more and more like they don't know where to go with some of the storylines thay've already established. That leads to them throwing out new ones hoping that we'll forget about the old ones if they never address them again.
    Then they have sorely underestimated us. :nono

Quote Originally Posted by Florimel
    I also found it intriguing that we saw Rose and Bernard showing a relationship that wasn't all bliss. I'm eager to see their backstory and
    Click to see Spoiler:
    just what she might have in common with Locke. Was she also paralyzed or otherwise disabled before the crash?
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Maybe her Dad stole her kidney.

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan
    Stupid vcr cut-off the previews for next episode (I didn't say next week because with Lost you never know when you'll get a new episode )

Can someone say what the previews showed?
    You can check them both out at LostLinks. And yes, next week is a new episode.

http://www.lostlinks.net/
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Qboots View Post
    It’s Henry, but I’m with ya. I’ll hold him down and you snuff’m.
    Please, just hurt him. I feel that he, Eko, Zeke and Rousseau add the most interest lately. Still lovin' Rose and Bernard - am excited for their backstory (pleaseoplease don't let them be bad)

It would be a worse Pandora’s box to open if she had slept with someone else. If there’s a chance it’s Jae Lee’s baby, Sun would be crazy to reveal that she is actually healthy and that it was Jin who was in question. Much safer to say “I guess my fallopian tubes were better than the doctor thought.”
    Absolutely!

For her to come clean like that tells me that her conscience is clear. After Jack’s pep talk she decided that for her marriage to truly work she needed to get rid of any remaining secrets. That’s my take on it anyway.
    Yup. I guess that's how the writers are telling us that it's his baby (Unless we find out later she was rendered unconscious by an Other, secreted away to their medical lair in the middle of the night, impregnated with Hanso's sperm and returned to her bed, all totally undetected ) I just don't know too many men who would believe her completely. My husband said: "Why does he think it's a miracle? Doctors do make mistakes; but I would always have this nagging doubt in the back of my head, so if it were my baby, I'd rather not be told about the doctor's confession." (Silly man thinks I would tell him if it weren't his. - Not that he has any reason to doubt me. )

Then they have sorely underestimated us. :nono
    Then they have sorely underestimated you! The rest of us are hanging on to your coattails!

Click to see Spoiler:
    Maybe her Dad stole her kidney.
    Ha! OR
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Maybe she drives a yellow car
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

The broccoli must die!!! Canada Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    And let's not forget his bad guy role on Angel! His natural perfect hip modern totally American English there is such a contrast to Jin it's amazing that Jin can be believable, but being Jin is certainly more of a challenge for an actor... esp. as, as with Sun's character, to stay in character he has to be "Korean" and not all that emotionally expressive visually. Just powerful acting what he gets across (and she as well).
    Also, I remember hearing that for this role, he had to learn how to speak Korean, because he didn't know how to before. Kind of funny, the actor had to learn to speak Korean, while the character has to learn to speak English.

FORT Fogey
    Rearding the acress who plays Sun.

I read an article in the local paper about her. She actually grew up in Staten Island in NY and learned Korean in sunday school. She helped "Jin" on the set with the correct pronounciation.

FORT Fanatic
    daniel dae kim. i think he already knew some korean but he needed to learn to speak like a real korean (accent/pronounciation)...and also he had to learn to speak like a poor village fisherman's son way...and not some highly educated korean.

yunjin kim. was born in seoul but raised in staten isl, ny. i think her family immigrated in early 80s when she was at least 7/8...i havent read anything definite when or how old she was. but she went back to korea & even japan in late 90s doing dramas/movies/etc.

a friend (korean pop culture freak - music/movies...and speaks almost fluent korean) went to korea for about a year at our university's student exchange abroad program. the main thing was for them to teach korean students to speak english. also he went back for a summer program to teach grade school children english. all korean family want their children to learn english and other world language. they will PAY big bucks for it. and yes, pretty much the wealthy family is a guarantee and having bi/tri-lingual speaking family members. middle class will do whatever it takes for the eldest child (esp if its son) to be well educated.

so yeah, i was a little confused about sun learning english privately when she's already married and esp she's from a wealthy family. the only thing i can think of is that maybe she's the youngest and she has older brothers that her father took care of first. and that she was only being groomed to be married off. or like what someone mentioned...working on her pronounciation and accent...which i think is the most plausible explanation at her age and status.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bell View Post
    so yeah, i was a little confused about sun learning english privately when she's already married and esp she's from a wealthy family. the only thing i can think of is that maybe she's the youngest and she has older brothers that her father took care of first. and that she was only being groomed to be married off. or like what someone mentioned...working on her pronounciation and accent...which i think is the most plausible explanation at her age and status.
    Her father is a crook, but he's also a guy that likes to brag and he has plenty of money, so he wouldn't have let his daughter's education slip when it comes to learning a foreign language. And even if all he was planning on doing was marrying her off, she still would've taken other lessons to enrich herself (like music, piano, art etc.), in addition to her other school classes.

My guess is that Yun Jin (and probably Daniel, too) both know about this...but the writers of the show have the final say in the direcion of the plot. Their theory probably is that most Americans/Westerners don't really know this about Korean culture and don't really care...so why not add some intrigue to the show. After all, having a couple that couldn't speak the language (or at least before we knew that Sun could) added some tension and also made it one of the more unusual plot twists on television...

From what I've read about these two actors, Daniel, like a lot of immigrants, learned to speak English very quickly but still kept speaking Korean with his parents--but not speaking it on a daily basis affected his speech etc. Yun Jin's Korean is technically better (he said) because for one, she made a career for herself as a film and TV star (I think a soap?) in Korea, so she was interacting with actual Koreans on a daily basis for many years as an adult.

Like I said before, I speak French but my accent is hideous and I'm sure the French would die laughing at me. But some of my friends who were exchange students overseas came back with a MUCH better comman of the language over someone like me, who learned it strictly from textbooks.

Anyhow, I'm totally intrigued...

Maybe the father of the baby is ... HENRY!!!!
    Last edited by Lois Lane; 03-25-2006 at 12:14 AM.

I don't think the writer's are much concerned with making the "Sun learning to speak English" plot realistic. They found the idea useful to the plot, and went with it. They have shown several times that they don't work out all the details perfectly, and they don't care about discrepancies, but we do

I don't think there are any hidden clues in why she decided to take English lessons. It is just a basic storyline, she was planning to leave Jin and move to America, and she wanted to be able to speak fluent English.

I think the part that Jae Lee (previous romantic connection) was the one teaching her, may be significant - but at this point, I don't have a clue what that may be. IMHO

stuck on an island with creepy ferret faced Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike'sgirl View Post
    I don't think the writer's are much concerned with making the "Sun learning to speak English" plot realistic.

It is just a basic storyline, she was planning to leave Jin and move to America, and she wanted to be able to speak fluent English.

Am I right in assuming Sun could have concieved while in Australia, or even Korea ? Would she have been experiencing sympthoms earlier than this ? How does the timeline work?

This subplot is little more than a distraction to me, at this point, but maybe they're setting up a kidnapping plot for Season 3... or 4.

LG.
    Hi Squat - here's my take on the pregnancy timing issues. In the last episode, Sun went to Sawyer specifically requesting a pregnancy test. She didn't go to Jack because she was feeling icky and had no idea why, thinking should could have had the flu or some weird island ailment, only to have Jack figure out that pregnancy was the cause. She had probably missed a period in order to think that pregnancy was the cause of her icky feelings (and then wanted a pregnancy test to confirm her feelings). Because of this, I'm thinking she likely could have conceived in Australia or Korea shortly before the flight. They've been on the island probably around 2 months at this point (is that right - timeline trackers?) and to me that timing isn't that far off for a first time mom to realize she's pregnant, particularly if she hadn't been with anyone except for Jim and she believed him to be sterile. Heck, some people don't figure out they're pregnant until they're in labor - which I think is insane, but you hear about them all the time. I'm on my second pregnancy right now and had a pretty good hunch about it after 6 weeks, but probably would not have assumed that was it if I hadn't been pregnant before. She might have been in denial a little too, given the circumstances.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

+ Reply to Thread