+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Lost - Season 2

Quote Originally Posted by nilesgirl View Post
    #2: The book Sawyer was reading in tonight's episode was Judy Blume's "Can You Hear Me, God? It's Me, Margaret" I grew up with Judy Blume's stuff and that was one of my favorite books although, I can honestly say I don't remember anything about it. So I don't know if there's any important relevance there. There usually is a relevance with books that Sawyer reads and the island. At least there was in the first season.

Actually, it's called "Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret." I had a hard time remember, too. So, I looked it up! It's mainly about a girl's rite of passage into adulthood and her relationship with God. Here goes...

"Margaret Simon faces a lot of changes the year she enters sixth grade. First, her family moves from New York City to a small town in New Jersey where she must settle into a new school and meet new friends. She also deals with her questions and anxieties about her first period, her first bra, and her newfound feelings for boys. A virtual rite of passage for preadolescent girls, ARE YOU THERE GOD? IT'S ME, MARGARET was originally published in 1970, and was one of the first works of fiction to address the topic of menstruation. This book also broke ground by examining religion in a decidedly secular manner. The daughter of a Jewish father and a Christian mother (both of whom come from deeply religious backgrounds, but neither of whom is particularly religious), Margaret's personal struggle to determine where her own faith lies mirrors her adolescent struggle to establish her own identity while still fitting in with her peers. "

Perhaps it's the issue of examinig faith that makes it relevant here?

http://www.biblio.com/books/isbnnu/37114802.html

Quote Originally Posted by nilesgirl View Post
    Okay 3 observations. #2: The book Sawyer was reading in tonight's episode was Judy Blume's "Can You Hear Me, God? It's Me, Margaret" I grew up with Judy Blume's stuff and that was one of my favorite books although, I can honestly say I don't remember anything about it. So I don't know if there's any important relevance there. There usually is a relevance with books that Sawyer reads and the island. At least there was in the first season.
    From what I remember, this book is about a young girl struggling with religion and the changes taking place as she's starting to go through puberty. I don't know what relevance this has with the island though.

The broccoli must die!!! Canada Champ's Avatar
    I just saw the CTV preview, and to me it sounded like the voice over the speaker (which was female, BTW) was counting down. I heard 4, and 3, specifically.

Henry came up with his story very easily, I doubt that an ordinary person would have been able to manipuate the situation as well as he did. In an instant, he had both Jack and Locke on the defensive, suspecting, doubting - adrenaline was starting to kick in. I wondered whether he was actually giving instructions to the Others (who might be listening in), a sort of plan they should follow. For some time, I have wondered if Zeke (et all) were watching all of the hatch activity - still a part of the old dharma experiment. If so, it wouldn't surprise me if they followed through on the little plan Henry came up with.

From the previews, I couldn't tell what triggered off the hatch shutting down. I thought, for a brief moment, that Locke might have stumbled across something he shouldn't have, and the Others decided to shut down the hatch. But, the only way that would happen, would be if the Others really were listening in on everything in the Hatch - and I'm not convinced that isn't just a part of my wild imagination.

It was a good show, but as usual - not enough answers. I am starting to feel slightly disinterested in this show, because it never seems to provide any satisfactory resolutions, but am still hoping for answers by season end.

Premium Member
    After weeks of not watching the show (hate reruns of anything), I found I didn't have the same anticipation for tonight's episode like I used to.

Sad that the show is becoming predictable. First question on everyone's mind: why would anyone travel with a pregnancy test on the plane? Not like they don't sell them in LA. And what did Kate ask? Why would anyone have a pregnancy test on the plane. Almost as if the writers knew there was no logical explanation for that one.

And I'm sure it's just my imagination, but it also felt like the writers had spent a lot of time reading message boards when Anna Lucia tells Sayid that people don't like her. Personally, I like her better than Michael or Charlie.

Speaking of Charlie, and his comment to A.L. about the last time she had a gun she killed someone - hello, pot calling the kettle... she should ask him what happened to Ethan.

Any doubts that they would find a balloon? If he is one of the Others, of course he would know if there was a balloon on the island and wouldn't make up a story he couldn't substantiate. Heck, there might even be a woman's body buried somewhere nearby. Doesn't mean he isn't one of Them. And we know they go to great efforts to try and blend in, so by leading them to a balloon will help his cause immensely, which would be more valuable to observe and gather information than just leading them to an ambush. I'm pretty sure if the Others wanted him back by now, they'd have taken him. I think they know his cover isn't quite blown just yet.

I'm sorry, who asks "What's the computer for?"

And then he says he'd be asking all sorts of questions (regarding the cereal, etc). Ummm, exactly who are they supposed to be asking all these questions to?? Besides, Desmond and the Orientation film explained the supplies.

I don't know, the writing just wasn't up too par for me.

Next week's previews looked entertaining, though.

It's perfect: Kate and Ana-Lucia can throw the baby shower, John Locke can build a nursery inside the metal bunker and Sayid and Eko can be the baby's "crazy uncles."

He/she can grow up playing with Claire's "by-bie," learn his/her ABC's and 123's (and how to tell time) by resetting the 180-minute counter and even develop some rudimentary computer skills by using that old Commodore 64 in the bunker to communicate with captives of the Others.

Oh, and am I the only one who hopes that Dharma Crunchy Oats Cereal looks like Cap'n Crunch?
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by mozzz View Post
    Sad that the show is becoming predictable. First question on everyone's mind: why would anyone travel with a pregnancy test on the plane? Not like they don't sell them in LA.
    Oh, who knows. Maybe a gal with a jealous boyfriend and she planned to use it in the privacy of the airplane bathroom. Maybe Sun brought it on herself and that's how she figured Sawyer might have one. Maybe there was a pharmaceutical rep on board with a case full of samples. Lord knows there's one on every reality show on the planet.

I forgot that I had expected Jin to come clean to Sun, since tonight's episode was called "The Whole Truth". When they got married he told her his father was dead. Did he ever confess to her that he was just ashamed of his father?
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Also because that's exactly what Jack said to Sun when he confirmed that she was pregnant. She had told him that she wasn't going to tell Jin, yet and that it was complicated. Jack said "More complicated that him being the last person on this island to learn you can speak English? I think you should tell him, Sun. And when you tell him, tell him everything. The whole truth."
    Wow, I didn't do too bad remembering that considering it was 9 hours ago.
    ETA: What was it that Jin said he wanted to name the baby after if it's a boy? I tried reading the subtitles and thought he said something like "a character in my father's....." but I couldn't catch the rest and then Sun said "and maybe one from my mother's"
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

He just said that he wanted to use a character from his father's name in the baby's name. She suggested one from her mother's name, too.

I don't care whether he's telling the truth or not; I'd snuff Harry asap. He'll have a cancerous effect on those surrounding him if allowed to remain breathing. As you can see, he doesn't even need freedom of movement to cause trouble. The dude gives off evil vibes doing nothing more than sitting. Opening his mouth allows evil out to seek to establish a new colony. OFF HIM.

In my opinion, Sun told the truth about not having been with another man (in a sexual way). Which I wouldn't have thought earlier, being sure the 'lessons' were about something else entirely. I still think she was cheating with baldy, I just don't believe the cheating manifested itself on a physical plane.

+ Reply to Thread