+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Lost - Season 2

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane View Post
    Ok, I just watched the rerun tonight and I had a question... why would Sun's father, a powerful, rich (and corrupt) man want his son-in-law to do the dirty work for him? Wouldn't he want a non-related thug for that? Wouldn't he want his daughter's husband to be "clean" so that she could have a better life? I'd think even if he was a corrupt evil guy, he'd want his daughter's husband to have a nice cushy job so she's be safe and comfortable...

Maybe he's just nuts?

If this has been discussed before, apologies! But I wasn't able to see this...QBoots? Anyone?
    A normal person would want their daughter to have a safe and happy life. But Sun's father is some kind of gangster-type. A hired thug could easily just get fed up with the business and quit, or turn Mr. Paik into the authorities in a plea-bargain. If he gets his own son-in-law to do his dirty work, it's a more stable set-up. Jin was in a difficult position: anything he might do to hurt Mr. Paik would also end up hurting Sun. In the end, all Jin could think to do was disappear in America. Which ultimately may not have even worked: I bet Mr. Paik has associates everywhere. Like the Hawaiian-shirt guy in the airport washroom.

Quote Originally Posted by talula
    After some investigating, I've found that these Jasons are not the same person. There is another site that has just about every character that's been on the show and lists their connections to each character (I'm not sure if it's a fan site or not so I won't list it). There are 2 Jasons listed- a Jason and a Jason McCormick. Plain Jason is Kate's (listed as her "associate") and Jason Mc is the guy who Ana Lucia killed. Imdb isn't helpful on this one. No pics of either guy, one (Kate's guy) isn't even listed in the short list of extras. However, the pics on the first site are very clearly not the same guy. Kate's guy is a pretty good looking guy. Ana Lucia's Jason is verrrrrry shady looking.
    Plus, they are played by 2 different actors. Kate's Jason was played by Victor Browne. Ana Lucia's Jason was played by Aaron Gold.

Justafan1: thanks for that Evangeline Lilly interview. I think her acting has come a long way since the pilot episode. Sometimes it's better to go with an unknown. I like that Evie didn't bring any previous baggage to "Lost". It took me a very long time to warm up to Claire since I hated Emilie de Ravin's character on "Roswell". And there are still FORTers who refer to Jack as Charlie, since that was Matthew Fox's name on "Party of 5".
    Last edited by Qboots; 03-16-2006 at 10:43 PM.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    I missed a couple of episodes last season. Was Jin trying to run off to the States? I thought he was going there on a job for his dad-in-law.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    I missed a couple of episodes last season. Was Jin trying to run off to the States? I thought he was going there on a job for his dad-in-law.
    Near the beginning of last season's 2-hour finale there was a flashback from the airport. Sun accidentally spills coffee on Jin, so he goes to the men's room. A man in a Hawaiian shirt follows him in and speaks to him in Korean: "I work for Mr. Paik, your father-in-law and employer." Jin: "You've been following me?" Man: "Yes. I know you're planning to run away. But you're going to take that watch to Mr. Paik's friend in California. You do anything else, anything, you will lose her. You are not free. You never have been and you never will be."
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

I wasn't here for season 1, so my apologies if this has already been discussed ad infinitum:

Going back to Jin's reaction to learning that Sun speaks English:
    I had always accepted the explanation that his pride was hurt - embarrassed that his wife had this secret and that he learned it in a public way....

If he was planning to run off in LA, wouldn't it make sense that he had also taken English lessons in secret (for that matter, he should have been learning some of the language in preparation for the trip.)? There are many viewers who feel he knows more of the language than he lets on.

So, Jin secretly learns English in preparation to run away from daddy-dearest, not telling Sun in case something went wrong with the plan - figuring she can learn it later.
    Now he hears Sun speak English and realizes that she was planning to run - from him.

Any takers?
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Qboots View Post
    Near the beginning of last season's 2-hour finale there was a flashback from the airport. Sun accidentally spills coffee on Jin, so he goes to the men's room. A man in a Hawaiian shirt follows him in and speaks to him in Korean: "I work for Mr. Paik, your father-in-law and employer." Jin: "You've been following me?" Man: "Yes. I know you're planning to run away. But you're going to take that watch to Mr. Paik's friend in California. You do anything else, anything, you will lose her. You are not free. You never have been and you never will be."
    Oh wow, great info! I have the DVD from Season 1 but haven't watched it yet, figuring I had gotten all the crucial info from reading FORT! Thanks!
    Cricketeen--great spec!

Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen View Post
    That brought up a question -
    I am an infrequent flyer, so maybe someone can straighten me out - if Jin and Sun are catching a connecting flight from Korea, wouldn't they be in a concourse - while Jack would be out front at the main ticket counter checking on his father's coffin? Did they spend the night in Australia and were checking in as new passengers?

I wonder how many of the survivors spent the night at the same hotel.
    If I remember clearly, Jin had to give something to an associate in Australia, then to another in the States. So it wasn't a connecting flight.

Quote Originally Posted by Qboots View Post
    A normal person would want their daughter to have a safe and happy life. But Sun's father is some kind of gangster-type. A hired thug could easily just get fed up with the business and quit, or turn Mr. Paik into the authorities in a plea-bargain. If he gets his own son-in-law to do his dirty work, it's a more stable set-up. Jin was in a difficult position: anything he might do to hurt Mr. Paik would also end up hurting Sun. In the end, all Jin could think to do was disappear in America. Which ultimately may not have even worked:
    It also gives him control over Jin, which ultimately allows him to still have control over Sun. Typical attitude of a mob boss.

I bet Mr. Paik has associates everywhere. Like the Hawaiian-shirt guy in the airport washroom.
    Including within the Hanso organization?????
    Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    -- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

http://www.youravon.com/jmarko

Re: Jin's English - I really don't think he spoke any English at all before they crashed on the island. Except for the word "boat" which he knew since he grew up in a fishing village. He's slowly learning some more words now.

I would imagine his father-in-law's organization would have kept a pretty close eye on him. After all, they figured out he was planning to disappear. There's no way he would be able to learn a language on the sly. In order to protect Sun he didn't even tell her anything about her father's business or about his desire to defect. He was probably going to confess everything to her once they were on U.S. soil and then they could both enrol in an English class. But finding out that Sun studied English so that she could leave him was a real betrayal.

For those of you who are wondering where Desmond went, he's over on FOX's "24", in bed with a very stunning woman.

FORT Fanatic
    congrats qboots, 10k posts.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by lostonanisland View Post
    congrats qboots, 10k posts.
    Way to go, Qboots!

Good eye, lostonanisland!

+ Reply to Thread