+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Lost - Season 2

Premium Member
    I am hoping from the previews for the next episode that Locke wasn't really falling for Henry's baiting - that by telling Ana Lucia he wants Henry out of the hatch it's because either he knows what Henry's strategy is (drive a rift between Jack/Locke), or that Locke wants to speed up the process of confirming if Henry is one of the Others or not by forcing him to show them the balloon crash site.

Of course, my thinking is, there very well could have been a balloon wreckage site on the island at some point, which could easily substantiate Henry's claims.

I am hoping Sayid is questioning Henry each day, and it wasn't just a one time thing, that's not too productive if so.

Kudos to Danielle for helping Claire after the abduction. Danielle has given the survivors a lot of assistance thus far, and still they treat her like an outcast - hello, she's been alone for 16 years, of course she's going to be awkward in social settings for a while, sheesh.

Did the orientation film say there are six stations? And we've seen the inside of three so far... So if the Others moved all of the medical equipment and nursery furniture out of that station, they must've moved it to another, correct? With only three stations left, is one of them like really huge or something? Or perhaps some of the experiments are no longer in progress...

Wait, next week is a repeat of an episode from over a year ago?? What are we averaging this season, two new episodes a month? And now they're not even airing reruns in any particular order? Great. This is not good for my short attention span disorder - soon I'll be forgetting which night of the week the show's on (as I refuse to watch reruns of anything), or will forget to tune in when a new one airs, and will finally give up on the show altogether.

Wanted to bring this over from www.wikipedia.com. This is a good synopsis of some of the main storylines on the island. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did. . .

Story elements
    There are several recurring story elements on Lost, some of which drive central plot points, both on the island and in the flashbacks of the survivors, while other elements provide a deeper understanding of the story.

Black and white
    The colors black and white, which traditionally reflect opposition or dualism, appear frequently throughout the series, often brought together in reference to characters whose natures are presented as ambiguous or contradictory. This dichotomy is laid out in the "Pilot" with John Locke's description of backgammon to Walt: while holding up a black and white piece, Locke says, "Two players, two sides — one is light, one is dark." In the opening sequence of "Raised by Another", Locke appears as an ominous image in Claire's nightmare about her unborn child, with one eyeball black and the other white, playing with corresponding, similarly colored cards.

Other appearances of the colors likewise connect characters in apparent opposition to themselves, or each other. In "Deus Ex Machina", Sawyer, one of the more ethically questionable characters, develops headaches due to farsightedness, diagnosed by Jack and cured by Sayid, with the creation of a custom pair of glasses from the frames of two different sets: one side white, the other black. In the closing scene of "Collision," Jack and Ana Lucia, ostensibly the leaders of their respective factions, stand facing each other, with Jack wearing a white shirt and Ana Lucia wearing a black shirt. In "The Long Con", When Sawyer is telling the group that he has the guns, Jack and Locke are wearing opposing black and white shirts.

At other points, the colors are featured in sometimes unexpected or unexplained ways. In "House of the Rising Sun", Jack finds a pouch on a pair of mummified corpses, nicknamed "Adam and Eve" by the survivors, containing one white stone and one black stone, which he then hides from Locke.

The numbers
    The numbers 4, 8, 15, 16, 23 and 42 appear throughout the series, both in sequence and individually. They were broadcast from the Island's radio transmitter, and it was this message that drew Rousseau's expedition there. Although she later changed the message after the deaths of her team, the numbers had also been heard by other people, eventually making their way to Hurley, who used them to win the lottery. However, after his win, a series of misfortunes began to happen to those around him, leading him to believe the numbers are cursed. His search for answers led him to Australia and, through the crash, to the island itself, where he ultimately discovers the numbers engraved on the hatch. Inside the bunker, the same numbers appear on the occupant's medicine bottles, and make up a code that must be entered into the computer. The sum of these six numbers, 108, has also become significant in connection to The Dharma Initiative. This number appears on a mural inside the Initiative's Station Three, and the full sequence of numbers must be entered into the computer every 108 minutes. The individual numbers also appear frequently throughout the lives of the survivors, both before and after the crash.

Familial dysfunction
    Most of the major characters have dysfunctional parents, particularly fathers, who are either absent, reluctant, or destructive. Most notably, Locke is the victim of a wretched betrayal in "Deus Ex Machina" by both his natural parents. Jack's broken relationship with his alcoholic surgeon father, Christian, is the impetus for him to travel to Australia, at the behest of his mother. Sawyer's mother has an extra-marital affair with a con-man; after finding out, his father kills her and then commits suicide. Kate murders the abusive man she had believed to be her step-father after discovering he was actually her biological father. She is forced into a life on the run after her mother reveals her crime to the police. While the troubling parental relationships of these four individuals have been the most explored, nearly all the protagonists have had serious difficulties with their families. In many cases, the ways in which the survivors dealt with these relationships lead to their being on the island.

Reference to philosophers
    By admission of the show's writing staff, some characters on Lost reference famous philosophers through their names and connection to each other. While unnecessary to the enjoyment of the series, for some fans, these references expand its literary and philosophical subtext. The two clearest examples, John Locke and Danielle Rousseau, are both named after social contract philosophers who dealt with the relationship between nature and civilization.

Locke shares his name with English philosopher John Locke. He believed that in a natural state, all men had equal rights to punish transgressors; to ensure fair judgment for all, governments were formed to better administer the laws. The philosopher's concept contended that humans are born with a "blank slate" — a tabula rasa (also the title of the Season 1's second episode) — without any innate knowledge or experience, and their identity is therefore a product of their decisions and choices in life. Rousseau shares her surname with Franco-Swiss philosopher Jean-Jacques Rousseau, who argued that man is born weak and ignorant, but virtuous nonetheless. He maintained that it is only after man develops society that he becomes wicked. His theory of the Noble Savage hypothesized that a child raised in the wilderness, independent of human society and culture, would be an objectively superior person with regards to a universal set of ethics.

In addition to Locke and Rousseau, there are other characters which have a relation to philosophers, with the two major ones also tied to Locke. First, Locke's father, Anthony Cooper, shares a name with a real world counterpart, Lord Anthony Ashley-Cooper, who was the philosopher John Locke's political mentor and patron. Second, Locke's protegé, Boone Carlyle, shares his name with Thomas Carlyle, a nineteenth-century essayist who spoke of the organization, structure and leadership of society. In his book Heroes and Hero Worship, he proclaimed that by necessity, heroic leaders were inevitably flawed.

There are also strong connections with Eastern philosophies. The Dharma Initiative is named after Dharma, the "way of higher truths" in sects of Hinduism, Buddhism & Daoism. The symbol used by the Initiative is called a bagua, a wheel of balance often used in feng shui.

Literary references
    Literary works are frequently displayed or referenced on the show, a point of interest to many fans who try to connect them to Lost's mythology. Some of the books are seen being read by the characters. One of the earliest such references was the comic book Green Lantern / Flash: Faster Friends, which Walt is first seen reading very soon after the crash. This particular comic would reappear throughout the first season, until it was destroyed when Michael threw it into a fire. However, of the main characters, Sawyer is the one who has been seen reading the most, a habit he picked up on the island that eventually led to his hyperopia. The first notable book he was reading was Watership Down, an account of a group of rabbits trying to find a new warren, which Sawyer read after finding a copy lying on the beach. Later, he reads A Wrinkle in Time, a novel involving rescuing a lost father and Christian undertones about a universal battle between darkness and light.

Other books have been briefly glimpsed on screen, or alluded to in conversation. There are several quite notable such occurrences, including mentions of Heart of Darkness, Lord of the Flies, The Turn of the Screw, and An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge, but three in particular stand out. The earliest of these is Alice in Wonderland, which is referenced by John Locke in "White Rabbit" In that episode, Locke converses with Jack, who believes he may be going crazy chasing someone who is "not there." Locke refers to this as "the white rabbit", and makes his first declaration of the special nature of the Island, "Is your White Rabbit a hallucination? Probably. But what if everything that happened here happened for a reason?"

Another prominent conversational reference has been the Bible, particularly in connection with Mr. Eko. He relates the story of King Josiah (from 2 Kings, chapters 22 and 23) to Locke, and he recites the 23rd Psalm with Charlie. The third major reference of this type has even been commented on by the producers: Desmond's packing of The Third Policeman when he flees the underground bunker in "Orientation". Craig Wright, who co-wrote the episode, told the Chicago Tribune that, "Whoever goes out and buys the book will have a lot more ammunition in their back pocket as they theorize about the show. They will have a lot more to speculate about — and, no small thing, they will have read a really great book."

In the episode that aired February 8, 2005, the character Hugo "Hurley" Reyes was reading a copy of a manuscript called Bad Twin, written by a passenger on the plane who died in the crash. Hyperion is set to publish Bad Twin as an actual book in May.

Eyes
    References to eyes appear frequently in Lost. A close-up image of an eye opens many episodes, in most cases of the character whose flashbacks would be featured. In "White Rabbit", John Locke hints at his experience in confronting the island's mysterious "security system" saying, "I've looked into the eye of this island. And what I saw was beautiful." Later, in "Raised by Another", Claire has a nightmare in which Locke appears with opaque eyes, one white and the other black. The tail section survivors also discover a glass eye in The Dharma Initiative's abandoned station.

Discredited theories
    Lost's mythology is as complex as that of other shows of a similar nature, such as The X-Files or Twin Peaks. This intricacy, and the unresolved questions it spawns, have led to rampant speculation and theorizing among fans, mainly concerning the nature of the island, the origins of the "security system" and the Others, the meaning of the numbers and the reasons for both the crash and the survival of some passengers. Several of the more common fan theories have been discussed and dismissed by the producers, including:

*The survivors are dead and/or in Purgatory — dismissed by J. J. Abrams
    *The survivors are in a time warp — dismissed by Damon Lindelof
    *Spaceships or aliens influence the events on the island — dismissed by Damon Lindelof
    *Everything seen is a fictional reality taking place in one or more of the survivors' minds — dismissed by Damon Lindelof
    *The island is a reality TV show and the castaways unwitting housemates — dismissed by Carlton Cuse
    *The cloud of black smoke is a nanobot cloud similar to the one featured in Michael Crichton's novel Prey — dismissed by Damon Lindelof and re-iterated by Javier Grillo-Marxuach

Lost in other media
    In addition to the television series, the characters and setting of Lost have appeared in the following official tie-ins:

*A diary by a survivor was incorporated into the official ABC web site for the show.
    *The interactive back-stories of several characters are included in Lost Untold, a section ofChannel 4's Lost website.
    *The book, Lost: Endangered Species by Cathy Hapka was released in 2005. (ISBN 0786890908)
    *Lost: Secret Identity, another tie-in novel by Hapka, was published in January 2006 (ISBN 0786890916). A third novel, Lost: Signs of Life by Frank Thompson, will be released in March 2006 (ISBN 0786890924).
    *In early 2006, Verizon Wireless will distribute the Lost Video Diaries to its subscribers via its V-Cast system. Each video diary will run several minutes and cover events not seen in the television episodes.
    *Hyperion Books will publish a metafictional book entitled Bad Twin, written by fictional author Gary Troup who was a passenger of Oceanic Flight 815. (ISBN 1401302769)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_%28TV_series%29
    Last edited by charity; 03-02-2006 at 11:55 AM.

Questions. I've been reading the posts to see if anyone noticed when the beardless man was talking to Ethan, he talked about a man who wouldn't like it that he brought Claire in before the list. Did anyone notice that too or did I imagine it? And if you did, any ideas what that meant? I come to this forum because I learn so much stuff that escapes me while I'm watching Lost, my favorite scripted show on TV.

Quote Originally Posted by jenuinely View Post
    Questions. I've been reading the posts to see if anyone noticed when the beardless man was talking to Ethan, he talked about a man who wouldn't like it that he brought Claire in before the list. Did anyone notice that too or did I imagine it? And if you did, any ideas what that meant?
    Yep, I noticed that, too. I guess he's talking about whoever is in charge on the island. The tailies had an intruder (Goodwin) that put together a list of the 'good' ones and then the others took the 'good' ones in the night. I guess Ethan was the intruder on the other side that was supposed to put together a list of 'good' ones. But, Hurley figured him out first, before he had time to put together a list. So, he just moved on to the next objective, which was taking Aaron from Claire. These others are bizarre.

I'm trying to figure out what experiment they would need Aaron for. . . Here are the different projects that were on the Hanso Foundation website as their initiatives:
    *The Hanso Life-Extension Project
    *The Hanso Foundation Electromagnetic Research Initiative
    *The Hanso Quest for Extra-Terrestrial Intelligence
    *The Hanso Mathematical Forecasting Initiative
    *The Hanso Cryogenics Development Imperative
    *The Hanso Juxtapositional Eugenics Development Institute
    *The Hanso Accelerated Remote Viewing Training Facility

Edited to add:
    Here is a link to the Station 3 film if you want to refresh your memory. It pops up on the screen and plays, so you don't have to download it or anything. http://www.bigspaceship.com/archive/hanso/dharma.html
    Last edited by charity; 03-02-2006 at 12:47 PM.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by jenuinely View Post
    Questions. I've been reading the posts to see if anyone noticed when the beardless man was talking to Ethan, he talked about a man who wouldn't like it that he brought Claire in before the list. Did anyone notice that too or did I imagine it? And if you did, any ideas what that meant? I come to this forum because I learn so much stuff that escapes me while I'm watching Lost, my favorite scripted show on TV.
    Yes, I heard it. I'm guessing it would be whoever is running the Hanso Foundation these days.
    Qboots mentioned that Claire had said her dad used to sing Catch a Falling Star to her as a child, which would make it especially positive for her to hear re her baby's future adoptive environment I would imagine. Surely that can't be chance. How did the Others know that? Did she mention it on the island and one of their spies overhear it? Or was it just chance, because Ethan wasn't supposed to show Claire the room?

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    Yes, I heard it. I'm guessing it would be whoever is running the Hanso Foundation these days.
    Qboots mentioned that Claire had said her dad used to sing Catch a Falling Star to her as a child,
    Wow, I didn't realize that's what the connection to the song was. That's huge. I'm beginning to wonder about the theory that everyone of the people was born and raised to finally end up on that island. This isn't all coincidence. How did Dharma get into each of their lives? Maybe this show is more like that movie Final Destination (1, 2, and 3) where everything that happens does so purposefully to fulfill one initiative because of one event that happened early on. Don't know if that makes sense.

The broccoli must die!!! Canada Champ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    Qboots mentioned that Claire had said her dad used to sing Catch a Falling Star to her as a child, which would make it especially positive for her to hear re her baby's future adoptive environment I would imagine. Surely that can't be chance. How did the Others know that? Did she mention it on the island and one of their spies overhear it? Or was it just chance, because Ethan wasn't supposed to show Claire the room?
    That's what I thought too. I'm also starting to think that ever person who got on the plane, including the people who died in the crash, were on there in some way because of the Hanso corporation. They could have hired people to either directly (Claire's psychic) or indirectly (the man who told Sawyer to go to Australia for the man he thought was the real Sawyer) make them get on the plane, and some of these plans could have taken years to put together.

Quote Originally Posted by lildago
    As far as Sun being pregnant, I don't see how it could be anyone other than Jin's baby. From what we've seen of her character, I doubt if she'd be "love shackin' it" with anyone else. Now if it was Kate...
    Well, according to some spoilers, the next new episode is
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Jin and Sun centric
    , and
    Click to see Spoiler:
    it's supposed to be about a love triangle, so perhaps she got pregnant just before getting on the plane. The spoilers didnt say though who the triangle was with.
    Last edited by Canada Champ; 03-02-2006 at 01:15 PM.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada Champ View Post

Well, according to some spoilers, the next new episode is
    Click to see Spoiler:
    Well
    Click to see Spoiler:
    it seems to me that if I were Sun if the father might be another Korean man (the only likely possibility from her pre-LOST life I'd guess) I'd just keep my mouth shut...not like that would be obvious in a newborn, or probably even for years. But if the other possible dad were Michael, then...if you are sure from the timing it is Michael (Jack could make a good guess from an internal exam if there's a speculum in the medical supplies) you'd pretty much have to say something. So maybe that's who it is...but there sure has been no sign of that that we saw during the time Sun and Jin were split up. She didn't seem that sad when he left or glad to see him back except re info on Jin, and he didn't seem especially oriented to her except in that first period when she was still very much with Jin. So if there's a triangle I'm at a loss for the 3rd point from what we've gotten so far

The broccoli must die!!! Canada Champ's Avatar
    PWS, the spoiler I posted was about the flashback, not the on-island stuff.

FORT Lurker
    I think we learned a great deal last night that wasn't blatant. For your consideration:

- The fact that Ethan & Zeke didn't realize that the fuselagies had a passenger manifest indicates that the Others are not in control of things as much as they could be. This shoots holes in the "the plane crash was staged" theory.

- Along that same line, since the Others have died to gunshots, stones, spears, and whatnots, it is probable that this is not an experiment per-se, since there are limited (or no) scientific controls in place. When you study rats (or apes out in the wild, which would be more comparable to our Losties), you make sure they don't bite you. It still might be some psychotic social experiment, but it's probably not the original intent.

- Desmond & the Others both had those drug vials. Desmond used his on himself, while the Others used some on Claire. Thus, either Desmond was kidnapped like Claire was (and judging by his wild eyes, entirely possible), OR else the Others were telling the truth about needing the vaccine (unlikely... they're a bunch of liars)

- There is a definate hierarchy to the Others. Ethan seems to have reported to Zeke, who mentioned reporting to someone else. This implies that the Others' operation (and the Dharma Initiative/Hanso Foundation) is significantly larger than just a handful of psychotic-graduate students-gone-wild.

- Danielle Rousseau is increasingly looking less and less like an Other... but her story makes less and less sense, too. Stuck on an island for 16 years and never finding her daughter? The island isn't THAT big, and the new hatch wasn't THAT hidden. She knows where everything is, from the dynamite on the Black Rock to the Others' camp and where the monster/smoke hides out.

- THEORY: That Gale prisoner guy asked about having anything by Stephen King around. He's a popular horror author, sure, so maybe that was Gale's intent, that this was some horror show (prisoner, tortured, etc). OR, perhaps the writers were winking at the theory (fact?) that Stephen King ghost-wrote the Bad Twin book. There are tons of writers out there, and the fact it was Stephen King that was mentioned seems too suspicious.

(I'm from Maine, too, though, so anytime King is mentioned I pick up on it)

- QUESTION: How many people did the Others kill? I can't remember anything about the Steve/Scott death right now (they said Ethan, but was it?), and then there was Nathan from the tail-section that the Other guy killed... but besides attempting to kill Charlie, they haven't tried very hard to kill anyone. Shooting Sawyer, blowing up a raft, kidnapping everyone... it's nice to see that their Hippocratic Oaths aren't making them Hypocrites

+ Reply to Thread