+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Lost - Season 2

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan View Post
    As I mentioned before, I don't pick up on the clues to well in this show, but when Locke and Jack were talking about the statues, I thought Jack mentioned 7 of them. But when Charlie had them hidden, I thought there was only 4 or 5. Can someone clarify?
    When Charlie had them hidden, some of them were overlapped on top of each other. So you didn't see them all.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

I've been looking around the internet trying to figure out what DHARMA stands for and found some speculation.

I'm sure this is not 100% correct! But, it's interesting to read.
    'Reading a little about dharma and rebirth . . .the concept of the six worlds or realms. Depending on your karma you will be reborn into one of six worlds or realms. These are:

the World of Devas or Gods
    the World of Asuras, Demigods, Titans, Fighting Demons
    the World of Humans
    the World of Animals
    the World of Hungry Ghosts
    the World of Hell

Just thinking, maybe it links up to the different Dharma experiments:

the World of Devas or Gods - The Apollo experiment (black smoke being essence of Apollo - see other threads)
    the World of Asuras, Demigods, Titans, Fighting Demons - The Others
    the World of Humans - Our Losties
    the World of Animals - Zoological Research
    the World of Hungry Ghosts - The whispers
    the World of Hell - Its not exactly a savoury island is it, lol'

This is the 6 logos for the 6 stations on the island. The image is below that is a possible spoiler image. Not sure if it's from ABC or created by a fan.
    http://www.dharmasecrets.com/forum/i...tach=705;image

Alright, here's my opinion on what it stands for:
    D.H.A.R.M.A.-------Degroot Hanso Alternative Research for Metaphysical Advancement
    -
    -
    -
    -
    If you go to this website and download a video, you'll see what looks like another Dharma video. It's pretty cool. Not sure about it's authenticity, but it's interesting. http://www.dharmasecrets.com/forum/i...hp?topic=335.0 then download the video marked on the first post as: Hanso Classification 4-16-81.wmv (3926.61 KB - downloaded 864 times.)
    Last edited by charity; 02-10-2006 at 10:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Qboots View Post
    Did a bit of 'net surfing and found another possible candidate for ghost-writer. ABC/Hyperion has previously hired mystery writer Ridley Pearson to ghost-write a book called "The Diary of Ellen Rimbauer: My Life at Rose Red". It was a prequel to the 2002 Stephen King mini-series "Rose Red".

And I know King is a horror writer, but he has written at least one mystery, and if they really want to keep his identity a secret they'd be silly to say it's been written by a well-known horror writer.
    Ah, it's great to be able to rely on your expertise, QBoots. You, mozzz and the others are right: Stephen King is more of a horror writer than a mystery writer, but suppose that the "mystery" part isn't a genre definition but just a clever (or not so clever) way of saying that the writer's identity will remain a mystery...?

Anyhoo.....the fictitious writer who died on flight #815 - Gary Troup - is an anagram for "Purgatory".
    Interesting! For a bunch of people who so adamantly refute the purgatory/limbo theory, the writers sure love to feed us the idea.
    "There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more" (Morrissey)

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan View Post
    As I mentioned before, I don't pick up on the clues to well in this show, but when Locke and Jack were talking about the statues, I thought Jack mentioned 7 of them. But when Charlie had them hidden, I thought there was only 4 or 5.

Also, just to be clear - so Charlie and Sawyer had the kidnapping / move the guns thing planned together? I'm assuming Charlie reset the button while Sawyer was out hiding the guns. It sounds like Sawyer came up with the plan because Charlie was in awe of how someone could come up with something like that, but Charlie got involved because he wanted to make Locke look bad because of his (Lockes) recent closeness to Claire and for decking him. Is that right or did it happen another way?

Can someone clarify?
    By jove, I think you got it.

Don't feel inadequate for not picking up on clues! If getting them were the criteria, only Qboots could post here!

DH and DS love to chat during the show:nono , so I missed some dialogue, but I got the impression that Charlie followed Locke when he hid the guns and then told Sawyer where they were. Sawyer went for them when Locke returned to resume his button pushing shift? The thing that makes me think I got it wrong is remembering that ep when Charlie had been "secretly" following Locke around the island all day, and Locke knew it the whole time.

I totally missed Sayid saying he rigged the radio to pick up longwave signals. Since longwave is used to communicate under water, I wonder if it will pick up on the DHARMA station that some of us speculate is offshore.

Charity - I had come up with Degroot Hanso Advanced Research into Metaphysical Applications -
    Perhaps we have a little "remote viewing" going on between us?
    Last edited by cricketeen; 02-10-2006 at 11:30 AM.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Dharma

Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen View Post
    Charity - I had come up with Degroot Hanso Advanced Research into Metaphysical Applications -
    Perhaps we have a little "remote viewing" going on between us?
    That's cool. Maybe it will be something like we're thinking. When I saw that the Degroots were behind the Dharma Initiative and it was funded by Hanso, it came to me that could be the 'D' and the 'H'. I thought the 'R' had to be 'Research', since that's what the hatches were for. And I keep seeing the word 'Metaphysical' in talks about summing up the Dharma Initiative, so that's probably the 'M'. The rest I just looked for words that made sense as A's. And came up with D.H.A.R.M.A.-------Degroot Hanso Alternative Research for Metaphysical Advancement. Hopefully they'll tell us soon what it means!!!!!!!!

-----------------
    Here's what Wikipedia says about metaphysics:
    "Metaphysics (Greek words meta = after/beyond and physics = nature) is a branch of philosophy concerned with the study of "first principles" and "being" (ontology).

Metaphysics as a discipline was a central part of academic inquiry and scholarly education since before the age in which Aristotle coined the word. Long considered "the Queen of Sciences", its issues were considered no less important than the other main formal subjects of physical science, medicine, mathematics, poetics and music. Since the Age of Reason, problems that were not originally considered metaphysical have been added to metaphysics. Other problems that were considered metaphysical problems for centuries are now typically relegated to their own separate subheadings in philosophy, such as philosophy of religion, philosophy of mind, philosophy of perception, philosophy of language, and philosophy of science. In rare cases subjects of metaphysical research have been found to be entirely physical and natural, thus making them part of physics.

A somewhat informal way of considering metaphysics, particularly in its more modern applications such as the "philosophy of ..." subheadings cited above, is to say that it is "thinking about thinking." A major concern of metaphysics is a study of the thought process itself: how we perceive, how we reason, how we communicate, how we speculate, and so on. The subject matter is usually abstract, and, it might be said, concerns itself with how we deal with such abstractions.

What might be called the core metaphysical problems would be the ones which have always been considered metaphysical. What most of such problems have in common is that they are the problems of ontology, "the science of being qua being".

In modern times, the meaning of the word metaphysics has become confused by popular significations that are really unrelated to metaphysics or ontology per se, viz. esotericism and occultism. Esotericism and occultism, in their many forms, are not so much concerned with inquiries into first principles or the nature of being, though they do tend to proceed on the metaphysical assumption that all being is "one"."
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metaphysics
    Last edited by charity; 02-10-2006 at 11:43 AM.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Sorry--back to the show... so again, just to be clear, at the end of the long con, Sawyer told the woman to meet him elsewhere, implying to her they would have no cash as he was giving it to his partner to save them. As he was saying this he was stuffing stuff into things... of course I didn't watch his hands...was he moving stuff supposedly from the duffel to the briefcase, but not really? putting fake money in the briefcase and leaving real cash in the duffel? Then takes the fake money briefcase out to the car where there is no partner. Then returns to house with briefcase and takes duffel with real money which is on chair but kind of under the tablecloth? But why? Why not take real money out to the car since there was no partner there?
    Why not just drive off? Other than to do the symbolic thing with the picture, why not just leave with the cash after counting to 5 to be sure the woman doesn't come back to the house?
    What did I miss?

FORT Lurker
    That image is forged - "station 5" is on the bottom of both the 4th and 5th stations.

It's a pretty cool image anyways, though... and could easily have been an accident by Lost creators (if they made it).

The writers do that a lot. Like the long-wave/short-wave radio conspiracy mentioned above. My bet is that the writers don't really know the difference between long/short - similar to how AL knew the switchblade knife was from the Army, when some FORT'er here mentioned that the army doesn't use that type - or how Shannon's age fluctuated a little. Little mess-ups become big mess-ups on a show like this where we look through a microscope at everything.

I forgot to mention this. Am I the only one who felt a little warm when Sawyer walked up shirtless?
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    Sorry--back to the show... so again, just to be clear, at the end of the long con, Sawyer told the woman to meet him elsewhere, implying to her they would have no cash as he was giving it to his partner to save them. As he was saying this he was stuffing stuff into things... of course I didn't watch his hands...was he moving stuff supposedly from the duffel to the briefcase, but not really? putting fake money in the briefcase and leaving real cash in the duffel? Then takes the fake money briefcase out to the car where there is no partner. Then returns to house with briefcase and takes duffel with real money which is on chair but kind of under the tablecloth? But why? Why not take real money out to the car since there was no partner there?
    Why not just drive off? Other than to do the symbolic thing with the picture, why not just leave with the cash after counting to 5 to be sure the woman doesn't come back to the house?
    What did I miss?

I am so bad at figuring out cons - The Sting totally confused me. I thought that Sawyer gave her a duffel filled with what she thought was the cash, and made sure she saw that the briefcase was filled with dummy money?

(I'm a softie and want to believe he did care for her):
    I think in his mind, after all he taught her, she should have looked in that duffel right away and then come back for her cash. I think he went out to the car to give her a brief chance to come back, find it and leave with it. He would then take his chances with the "boss man". But she didn't, so he cut her loose.
    Unless he didn't give her a duffel - then (in her best Emily Litella voice): "never mind"
    Last edited by cricketeen; 02-10-2006 at 03:43 PM.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

+ Reply to Thread